BravestDog

Wingsuit flying landings with skis and no parachute opening?

The video of the guy who jumped down the ski slope with a wingsuit looked as though he might have been able to land with skis.

Maybe if an experienced ski jumper were to take up wingsuit flying, they would have the experience to be successful on the landing part. After all, they have landed numerous times under difficult conditons.

Will ever? Well, maybe, but it's going to be pretty freekin' difficult to match up the hill with the fall rate and commit to it. There have been a couple of people that have claimed they were going to try it, but for some reason nobody's done it yet. (I figure they just wised up.)

If you look at the Soul Flyers video it looks pretty do-able, but if you look at it closely, you'll see it had some outs for him and it wasn't anywhere nearly as long as you'd need to slow down and stop. If Loic had misjudged that attempt and simply dragged a toe, I think we'd be talking about him in the past tense.

A long time ago we talked about this on this web site. If you do a search you might be able to find it.

At the time people were talking about doing it on an alpine skiing (ski jumping) slope and I thought that was totally out of the question because of the design considerations of those types of very specific slopes.

I also think the design of the current suits don't lend themselves to the type of landings you'd want to do.

Maybe, if there was a world champion ski jumper that was also a BirdMan flyer he could figure something out, but I really don't think it's do-able by someone that is more BirdMan and less ski jumper.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think utilizing a "belly mount" and devising a bracket to attach a couple pair of roller blades is more feasable! Dreamed about that once, ONCE!!!

I think you'd be better off to keep that idea as a dream.
quade -

I think utilizing a "belly mount" and devising a bracket to attach a couple pair of roller blades is more feasable! Dreamed about that once, ONCE!!!

I think you'd be better off to keep that idea as a dream.

Come on, I saw it on a cartoon once, it HAS to work!!! HA HA. Yeah, I agree, will do my best not to try that!

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

Why dont you start where Patrick De G was trying.

I heard/read somewhere that he was working on something to "Take off" of a slope and then land back on it. I know it is possible but it will take some more time for someone to figure it out safely and do it.

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_13&search_type=AND&search_string=landing+a+wingsuit

Maybe because we don't want to go where Patrick De G was going. [:/]

????What is that suppose to mean? He didn't die trying to land a wingsuit. That comment was in bad taste IMO...[:/]

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

You could argue that most Ski-jumpers do this on every jump, only landing from what is basically a sub-terminal max track. The restrictive position that the wingsuit offers gives little option of anything other than crashing down on your belly. I'm sure that it is do-able, but the VERY best you could expect would be multiple broken ribs/arms/legs if not a fatality.

There are lots of old threads on this, do a search if you are genuinely interested.

Maybe he could cover the suit in Velcro and land on a slope with likewise?

Maybe skiers could match his pace down the hill, holding a giant butterfly net and scoop him up?

Maybe he could have a folded fabric wing in a bag on his back, which he could throw out and then fly safely to the ground.........hang on I'm just being stupid now!

You could argue that most Ski-jumpers do this on every jump, only landing from what is basically a sub-terminal max track.

You could, but it wouldn't be accurate.

Alpine ski jumps and hills are designed using ballistic formulas.

Essentially, if you rolled a bowling ball down the jump it would take off and land at a part of the hillslope known as the "K-point". This gives the jumpers a fairly soft landing without doing much of anything other than getting close to the aerodynamics of a bowling ball. A perfectly designed hillslope continues the trajectory for a bit to allow for soft landings for some distance further than this ideal distance.

The real fun comes when a ski jumper tries to go much, much farther down the hill than it was designed for. Then, instead of landing with the hill, he's falling just like you or I jumping off a cliff.
quade -

Considering what you all do for fun it blows me away that you can be so close-minded to this concept. It appears obvious to me that a no-canopy wingsuit landing will be accomplished, probably fairly soon and probably on snow. Will the first attempts be successful? Probably not. Kind of like early wingsuit attempts.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Will the first attempts be successful? Probably not

will the pilot have a responsability if some wingsuited person jumps out without a parachute ??
apparently in the US the pilot is not allowed to drop a skydiver with non TSO equipment (except foreigners with rigs in conformity with their local regulations)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Well yeah I wanna watch too. And who said anything about jumping without a parachute? Nobody says you have to use it, just wear it. And yeah in the USA it has to be TSO'd to be legal. A wingsuit is also a decelleration device, it just isn't real efficient and doesn't flare worth a shit. Think snow, real steep snow.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I just received the soulflyers video and watching the video of Loic passing over the ski slops gives you a real appreciation of the horizontal speeds involved.

I seem to remember reading about the guys that do the downhill speed biking (pushbikes) and when they get around the 100mph mark and fall off they are going so fast that the friction of the snow melts their suits and literally welds it to their bodies...Using a wingsuit, if you can survive the initial impact and the slope is long enough u could theoretically land...u may even live... but the friction developed would be so great you would need a carbon fibre / titanium baking tray strapped to your chest and that won't slow you down much!!!!!

If it's safe it ain't fun

No

Your wrong;) all can/will land at some point,what matter is if the person wants to survive and uninjured,if its the last im thith you,but all can go kill them self by gravity,call it landing or impact:P

By the way why would you like to be abel to do so,it aint skydive any more then(unless FAI says ok for it;)),it would be a sport to it self,and even smaller than BASE,and more dangerus i guess...

You will be abel to land a suit the day you make a suit were you not only will desent in but also climb,and were you can flare it so you dont fly that damn fast forward:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber