jumper03

Helmet????? Say what?

Birdpeople!!!
Just read the article in this months parachutist and I can't wait to shoot the nylon crack - been drooling for a long time now. BUT, I'm a confused wannabe flocker right now....

In the article Kevin says "Always wear a helmet. It could be a lifesaver....."

But of the nine birdmen I see pictured, only 3 can I definitively make out wearing a helment....33%.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

It remains a personal chocie however, the use of a helmet is highly recommended especially when flocking or flying with others who you haven't flown with before. I recently watched an "experienced" birdman who was not wearing a helmet drive his head into another birdman on a flocking dive when he failed to look before he turned. He was lucky that he was not knocked unconscious, injured or cause injury to the other Birdman. A helmet is a smart choice, you don't go any faster without one.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Birdpeople!!!
Just read the article in this months parachutist and I can't wait to shoot the nylon crack - been drooling for a long time now. BUT, I'm a confused wannabe flocker right now....

In the article Kevin says "Always wear a helmet. It could be a lifesaver....."

But of the nine birdmen I see pictured, only 3 can I definitively make out wearing a helment....33%.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jump

Helmets (with the exception of camera helments) will most likely always aid in safety during your flight. I am one who doesn't wear them on most of my flights simply because the only helmet I have is a camera helmet, and i'm not sure I want to deal with the added risk of jumping a camera helmet on every dive. You can, however, see in the crew swoop video found here that it "saved" my ass when another flyer's foot impacted my head at a fairly high rate.. you can see the "smack" in the video.. not sure what would be hurting if I hadn't had the helmet on.... A "normal" helmet is on my list of things to get next, so that way I do have something on every jump..

Hitting a portion of the plane is another risk which a helmet could be a life saver on. Keep in mind while flying a wingsuit has a high chance of creating a scenerio where a cypress fire will not occur, being unconcious in a wingsuit creates a scenerio where it will most likely fire.. just another point on the note of safety.

If you were planning on taking a picture for publication, many people who normally wear a helmet won't because of the picture.:)

It doesn't mean they don't wear helmets - they're just not wearing them in that picture.
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

"I guess it's in the same vein as RSL/AAD etc."

Not really - I think it just feels nicer NOT to have a helmet on - I know I used to jump wo a helmet alot for that factor. Its not very comparable to RSLs and AADs cuz I couldn't tell yah the difference in feel of a rig with em or without em... I usually wear a helmet all the time now because I see more and more dangerous things happening in the air every year...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I personally wear a helmet only in the winter for obvious reasons. And to think that I was on a dive 2 years ago where our videoman crashed down on us and his hip bone went right in the back of my head. Not sure if I was completely out or not, but there is about 4,000 feet of that dive that I don't remember, didn't have a Cypres either. But you can bet that I ordered one the next day. Had it for about 6 months then sold it to jump more. (*Might want to refer back to the "Shallow end of the Gene Pool" comment) So, with that said, In the summer, I jump without a helmet, cypres and RSL. But I have a good feeling that is going to change this year. Going to wear a helmet anyway! I'm not sure if this helped anyone or not, but felt like I should let others know that there are stupid people like me out there, so every safety precaution should be taken!!! Cheers!

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

I always wear a helmet, I think I can count on one hand the jumps I haven't. I'm not as concerned about freefall collisions, especially on solos, but I wear it for the landings. I love to swoop, and I also like to land off, so the 'you never know' factor is enough for me.
But then again, if you ask around, I'm probably a big pu$$y anyway:P
Loooong delays and soft landings,
Blair

A helmet for me is like my parachute, I don't jump without it.
When freeflying Its a must.When flying my S3 also a must. Don't wanna talk about landing my XVX 78, no no no, the ground is comming to fast and the last thing I wanna lose in case of an accident its my head.

When I'm doing tandems, thats the only time I don't wear a helmet and there is no excuse on that one because I also have a chance on hitting the C-man when doing my spin generators.
But I just don't use it. Maybe because 6 or 7 years ago I opened the Cessna door and saw my helmet fly away. You got to see my face on the video NON HAPPY CAMPER all the way down.

I almost forget... When I,m filming a tandem I also wear my helmet.

Funny Ha...

I think wearing a hemet for me comes from a personal experience.
I lost one of my best friends when he hit the runway after a low hook turn. He died on impact. Even though he was wearing a helmet, his head injuries were massive.

Helmet....
...It's not a fashion thing.

Blues,
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

Helmets are personal preferences to wear or not. I choose to wear one not only for the protection of my Melon but my hearing as well. Try Skydiving for many years and dont wear much Helmet protection...you dont realize it but your Hearing starts to go to crap...I often talk to Skydivers who have been Jumping many years and they say they wish they would have worn more protection to help prevent some of their hearing Loss. The Decibel rating is Quite high in Freefall believe it or not...;)

I choose to wear one not only for the protection of my Melon but my hearing as well. Try Skydiving for many years and dont wear much Helmet protection...

Did you say something Doug?

I actually don't wear a helmet when Bird-Manning... I like to hear "slow". I kinda tune my flight by sound... I wear a helmet on every other skydive I make... if ya can legitimately call a frap-hat a helmet.

I blame my hearing loss on years of flying Twin Bonanzas... (not to mention the music in the 70's and 80's)

Chris

I wear a helmet because I'm clumsy and whack my head into the plane a lot. The DZO sez my helmet makes it easier on the plane. ;)

I don't see a wingsuit making me any less clumsy piling in or bailing out, so I'll keep with the helmet.

And I wear a Pro-tec (so far) because it's cheap, it gets the job done, it's comfy, and nobody ever bounced because they didn't look cool enough. Plus I figure I'm hot enough to get the girliez without a swank helmet. :P Jumping out of planes makes up for a lot of helmet insufficiency, and a pimp wingsuit should help too.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Like I said its just Personal Preference..Just like Riding Motorcycles I would rather take my chances with one on my Head than nothing at all..Just my Preference..There are occasions though I may Jump without one...like you say Chris wanna hear the Slow ... Tune your Flight kinda thing while Birdmanning...B| especially Solo to see how your flying..

I use a full face helmet almost always when I'm flying wingsuit. (And almost always with a camera) The only jumps I may choose not to wear one are some warm sunset solo flights in nice scenery, where I really want to feel everything that is possible. So that is about 2 to 5 jumps in a year. And on those jumps I have planned not to swoop my FX. I have been saved by a helmet twice. First was a Hercules flock-exit when someone almost kicked my head off, and the second was a crash landing...

Vesa
BMCI

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

One thing I forgot about why I use a helmet,
I know the difference of landing my XVX with a tight helmet that don't let me hear Shit and no helmet.
Its scary hearing yourself coming to the ground that fast and not being in a car.

Chris, Thank's again for the mod., you save my neck and balls.

See you in Feb.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

whith out helmet you´ll feel more free
whith a helmet you will be more safe

its up to you,what do you want most...

a freeflyhelmet is a good alternative if you want to feel the winds and still wants to be just abit safe...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Terrvve Vesa! Of course, you wear a full-face helmet... it's damn cold in Finland! ;)

Okay, just teasing. Of course, it's always safer to protect your head.

When I do RW, I use an Oxygn full-face helmet. When flying, I use a skateboard Protec helmet (not the dorky student kind). You can see it a little in my avitar. It just feels so good to have the wind in your face (well, in Florida anyway.)

The only time I've seen Jari wear a helmet was in Norway where they forced him to - so he went out and bought a nit snow cap.

~Kim

Terrvve Vesa! Of course, you wear a full-face helmet... it's damn cold in Finland! ;)

Hi Kimibird :)
How would you know? I have never seen you here...
And that can be interpreted as an invitation ;) You really should come and fly with us in Hanko, what a view...

The only time I've seen Jari wear a helmet was in Norway where they forced him to - so he went out and bought a nit snow cap.

Not true, at least in Herc.02 Jari used Factory Diver as they required a helmet... If I can still remember, you were there too...

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I wear a helmet on my flights for a number of reasons. First, I have been knocked completely out in freefall before by an errant diver swooping head-down to a formation that I was filming. He never saw me and I certainly didn't see him coming from above. It dislocated my left shoulder, broke my helmet, and knocked me across the sky. Lucky for me, as I had no AAD in that rig), I woke up around 8k (the jump was from 18k), pulled with my good right hand, and landed the canopy with both toggles in my right hand. It broke the entire left side off of my ProTec-based camera helmet, but it didn't fly off, so yes, I still have the video. That was back in 1990.

There are occasions where I will skydive without a helmet, but they are fairly few and far between nowadays. Besides, my pimp mindward is so light that it's not a nuisance at all. Plus, that particular helmet is an icon and it defines me. There are not a lot of people that get around who see that helmet and don't immediately recognize it as mine. A plus is that it's where I keep my audible. I own one of those funky straps that hold your audible to your goggle strap, but didn't like it much so it just sits in my gearbag.

I have been on many a flock where there was some serious "combat" flying going on, so I would be really hesitant to go lid-less in all but the most accomplished company.

Chuck

Here's my $.02
It depends on the jump I'm doing as to whether I choose to wear a helmet.
AFF: ALWAYS. Ya never know what they are going to do.:ph34r:
Tandems: Sometimes. Depends on the weather.
Video: Duh...
RW: Full face Oxygen
FF: Open face Bonehead
Birdman: Solo-NO. Flocking-Sometimes. It depends on how big, and knowing who's on it?[:/]
I have only seen 2 people get knocked unconcious during freefall in the 12 yrs I've bee jumping.
Monique's husband Tim was one of them back at an AFF course in 94, so I learned how fast and unexpected it can happen. Hope he wears one now?
The other was an ALL Instructor FF ball jump. Thinking that your jumping with people that are good skydivers and the possibility of getting knocked out isn't going to happen, may be just when it happens?
But also remember that its not always a knock to the head that can cause unconciousness! Any HARD impact to the body or even helmeted head can cause it.B|
Try and be cautious as to you who you jump with and limit the chance of getting knocked unconcious by someone that may not be safe in the air. Plan a dive according to the ability of the skydivers on it, and DONT do bigways with low experience people.:)If you think you dont look "cool" jumping with a helmet? Go buy a "cool helmet" to jump with?
The bottom line is "ITS YOUR CHOICE".
LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com