leroydb

based a skyray?

By all accounts, the SkyRay has a much flatter glide. Problem is, they are terribly expensive at this point and ungainly. I have seen photos of a dude jumping one out the side door of an Otter, but I think that is nuts; I wouldn't want to even think about it unless it was off a tailgate. As far as BASE goes, I would love to see what an accomplished flyer could do off of one of the cliffs in Norway.

Chuck

whats up chuck... ahould be back from afghanistan soon... cant wait to do some bird jumps soon. Hey do you get better lift in the witner since the air is denser?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

there are times at arco (cliff in northern itally) when the thermals rising up the cliff face are so strong that branches you throw over will rise back up....hehe definately increases wing suit time...

i was told by a paraglider pilot friend who lives in northen italy that there is a spot in the dolomites where 2 cliff faces meet creating a sloped V channel to the top. and once a year when the weather system changes (warm air meeting cold air bla, bla...) you get thermals funneling up through this channel which decreases in size as it nears the top, thus increasing the wind speed. creating a natural vertical wind tunnel. he told me on good days you can jump off the cliff and fly in place just looking straight down 1000' (teathered of course)......

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

>he told me on good days you can jump off the cliff and fly in place just
>looking straight down 1000' (teathered of course)......

BS! I'm absolutely not buying it. If there is no video, it didn't happen. And if I saw video, I'd say it's fake...:P Although it _would_ be fun to try that, if such a place by some freak of nature exists...

Erno

there are times at arco (cliff in northern itally) when the thermals rising up the cliff face are so strong that branches you throw over will rise back up....hehe definately increases wing suit time...

i was told by a paraglider pilot friend who lives in northen italy that there is a spot in the dolomites where 2 cliff faces meet creating a sloped V channel to the top. and once a year when the weather system changes (warm air meeting cold air bla, bla...) you get thermals funneling up through this channel which decreases in size as it nears the top, thus increasing the wind speed. creating a natural vertical wind tunnel. he told me on good days you can jump off the cliff and fly in place just looking straight down 1000' (teathered of course)......

sincerely,

dan<><>

I think that same V is the one I've seen some amazing of. Where there's a turn to the right half way down.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

whats up chuck... ahould be back from afghanistan soon... cant wait to do some bird jumps soon. Hey do you get better lift in the witner since the air is denser?

Replying to an ancient post...

If you do, then I'd assume the drag is ALSO greater...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Replying to an ancient post...

If you do, then I'd assume the drag is ALSO greater...

You're probably thinking of the relative air densities: when the air is more dense, the lift generated is greater for a given airspeed (and so is the induced drag - think about stirring a cup of water vs treacle.) The stall speed will be lower as well.

You'll probably notice the effect with altitude more (faster canopy landings etc) :)
BASEing a skyray? Yup, there's a hang glider :P I would guess it is possible by changing the aerofoil shape, working out the optimum body position - but the wings would have to grow (sideways) to generate the necessary lift at lower speeds. Maybe a hang glider with retractable wings? :P

Even though I don't BASE, I can appreciate that a wing which has a stall speed approaching terminal velocity is not ideal... :D
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Just from what i understood when I read about the Skyray a while ago.

You have to get quite a bit of vertical speed before the wing starts flying, whereas a wingsuit starts covering ground much sooner.

I'm no profesor of aerodynamics tho, just what I remember!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Just from what i understood when I read about the Skyray a while ago.

You have to get quite a bit of vertical speed before the wing starts flying, whereas a wingsuit starts covering ground much sooner.

I'm no profesor of aerodynamics tho, just what I remember!

Maybe you could use a combination of the 2. But you would still need to be jumping from a great height.:ph34r:

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic