Morat_Raken

Canopy Paintballing?

I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to get a few people together and make some hop n pops from 12k and dogfight on the way down? I think that would be a blast! Of course, you would need to turn down the muzzle velocity of the paintball guns so as to not rip the canopies and probably have full face helmits.

Has anyone had any experience with this? It seems to me a little crazy to do, but I wonder if it could be done safely.

I played paintball for many years, very seriously, but I don't want any of that shit even near my gear.

Never mind the problems with the CO2 at altitude in the plane. The thought of dropping paint in the plane or having an accidental discharge would be enough (I think) for most DZOs to tell you you can't bring it with you. That and the pilot probably wouldn't like the idea too much. Eitherway, I know that if someone got on the plane with a paintball gun, I'd immediately bump off the load.

Edit:

Not to mention what would happen if you dropped the paintball gun or any piece of it (like the hopper fell off) or what would happen to all the paintballs expended that didn't hit something in the air. I wonder how much damage a paintball could do falling from 12k?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm with Dave on this one.

If anyone brings a paintball gun on a dive, I want to know so I can sit that load out. I want to pilot to know so he can kick off the paintballers.

rant
This isn't for the crew forum anyway is it? Maybe for under the swooping and canopy control forum. Mostly, I'd say it's just for new jumpers who don't want to get good in some kind of freefall discipline (FF, RW, etc) and just want to goof off. These guys ONLY do tubes and horny gorillas and after RW jumps the first thing out of their mouths is "at least we had fun". AAckk. Yeah I know the type that would love a paintball dogfight.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've played semi-pro PB and am on the no train here. Just the cost of my equipment alone ( Paintball that is) reaches the 5k range, and it doesn't have a canopy to stop t from exploding on the runway. The paint is somewhat corrosive to fabric, and never really washs out, no matter who says it does.....there idiots. Just jump and enjoy teh peice, we don't need to bring another dangerouse sport to the equation.

Adam

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.

I think that's a great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Are there glow in the dark paintballs? Would be pretty sweet to do that on a night jump.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I played paintball for many years, very seriously, but I don't want any of that shit even near my gear.

I agree, you could always take a chewabaca sized bandolier of several rolls of TP and bomb one another. Or dive bomb them with a free fly tube. That one could be used again and again. "Tag you it, next your it". If you think your canopy skills can handle it. The TP wont hurt anyone on the ground and chasing a tube around the sky will be more fun than paint balls.

i'm with djl, that sounds like fun...skydiving is supposed to be fun! all work and no play make monky somethin somethin!

lighten up, even if it is a troll, at least it's not someone saying they enjoy yelling at people to exit on jump run...i thought about shooting the swoopers with paintballs the other weekend when i was out at the dropzone, i bet it would make for great video!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

i posted up "have a word with yourself" and it got deleated

i am an airsofter in my spare time and get sick of people making stupid suggestions to do with airsoft replicas

this idea of using a 22 joule paintball marker as "fun" whilst under canopy disgusts me ...

not dealing with the issue of it marking kit with luminous "crap" for want of a better term

what about the rounds that don't hit falling onto villages or mrs higgins doing her shopping?

how the HELL are you going to steer your canopy with a marker in your hand? ..

please mods leave this post be. i feel it has to be said that the person posting this hasn't really got a grip on reality..>:(
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

>how the HELL are you going to steer your canopy with a marker in your hand?

Same way you steer a canopy when one hand is busy holding an "adult beverage" on those long sunset hop an pops ;) Learn all the canopy inputs. :P

I'll go "dog fighting" with people in the summer and see if we can't get close while doing sprials and stalls and stuff. Great way to push your self and your canopy.

Ever done some CRW and lost a shoe? :ph34r: Where do you think all those shoes, helmets, cameras, ripcords, rubberbands and everything else goes on opening? Not everythings terminal velocity is 120+ ;)

I've done the toss out a roll of toliet paper, let it unfurl and use your canopy to try and slice it as it falls before. Lots of fun there if you know how to really fly your canopy and can just hit it with an end cell in the middle of a sprial around it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Wayne is right this idea hold lots of questions and dangers. I have found out since he started this sport that skydivers are rather wild to say the least but this takethe biscuit.

This is the daftest idea ive heard while ive been around skydivers and I hope any decent CCI would not allow this in their DZ.

to the original poster you obviously have no background of this sort of thing and I would suggest you dont make ideas up on some thing you know very little about.
Before you start I play airsoft to so I have an understanding of what is been said by Wayne and trust me this is a daft idea!!

How long does it get before it breaks off?

which brand, thin and tuff or soft and fluffy?

Is there any risk of malfunction by flying your canopy through the strands of toilet paper?

scott

I would not try and catch a falling canopy ( from someone elses cuttaway) with my canopy. But things like toilet paper , streamers and FF tubes don't really present a danger to your canopy malfunctioning .

Something as big as a canopy or a big banner are no-nos for in flight ramming.