bigfritz

Choosing a rig?

At this point I figure that he's not going to listen to realistic advice anyway, so I told him what I jump.

And told him a 113 would be perfect.

Smart ass answers, whether we feel they are warranted by a person's attitude or not, are better posted in Talkback than they are in here.

FYI-
I'm 120 lbs (142 out the door) and bought a Sabre 2 150 right off student status. My instructors all said it was the right wing loading for me but I'd only had one stand up landing. 13 jumps and several crash landings later (plus a neck injury), I put my Sabre 2 up for sale and now jump a Spectre 170. Even with a lower wing loading it's a fun canopy to fly and I even stand up some landings now. Regardless of the wing loading, a smaller canopy is always a faster canopy. Learning a lesson the hard way is not always fun.

When I reccomended that he use that info as an indicator that the 135 was not the right canopy, his reply was " Thanks, but some guy at my DZ says a two stage flare will do the trick, so I'll just do that and keep jumping the 135. By the way, any reccomendations for a reserve?" At this point I figure that he's not going to listen to realistic advice anyway, so I told him what I jump.

I am listening to what you guys are saying, and I appreciate your opinions and help. :)
Edit: After reading skybytch's post, I'm goin with the 160. :)

But I'm pretty sure I can get landings down solid with the 135.

I'm sure you can too. Question is will your body parts survive the learning curve intact?

I was pretty sure I could land solid with a Safire 149. 60 bad landings later I was laid up with two blown discs. There went 18 months of skydiving. And they weren't really bad landings either, just kinda rolling across the landing area or sliding in on my ass....

Ah, I see... I never really roll, but I hit pretty good. The other day when I was getting out of the car my neck froze up. One of my nerves got pinched and it hurt like a mother... finally feeling better today (4 days after). It happened on Monday, I went skydiving Sunday. Ok I see the lightbulb. I'm flying that 160 from now on. :)
Was it one of your last landings that injured you that bad?

------------------------
Freefly, baby.

If there is one thing that I can make as a sugestion to you, as somone else who is new to the sport (im newbie) its as follows:

Listen to all the things that everyone has to say and then talk to your instructers, and the people at the DZ that are experienced (My fav. person to talk to is a AFFi that has been jumping for 20+ years)

The people that have been around awhile have seen what happens if you get ahead of yourself and try to jump into something to fast (no pun intended.) Like everyone else said there is more to look at than wingloading and if you can land softly / flare decent.

I'm glad that you have decided to follow the advice that people were making. Blue Skies and soft landings!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Hey BigFritz,

I am glad to read that you are comtemplating jumping a bigger main for a few more jumps. I saw that one landing after we jumped together last sunday and it wasn't bad but it was definetly not gracefull:P (you know what I am talking about...)
So going for a 150 or 160 main is defenitely a good idea for a while IMHO. I know Bill doesn't rent a 150 in his rental gear... but that's not really a reason to take the next smaller canopy. Next time I see you, I 'll let you jump my rig with the triathlon 150! That will save you one rental;)
Skydiving is fun... but it's no more fun if you can't jump because you hurt yourself! It was fun to jump with you... How am i gonna jump with you if you were a neck brace or a cast??? It only takes one shitty landing to keep you grounded for 6 months...

Blue ones,
I'll see you next time

"We see the world just the way we are...

I think sometimes we are guilty of making decisions based on a limited knowledge base. I for one as a near qualified student with a recent high wind experience can vouch that shit can happen and develop quite quickly. Certainly for now im happy to fly a 280 for as long as neccesary.

>>With your expertice you should get the PD 113 <<

Surely this is a joke.

If it is, I do not really approve, because the guy might not realize it. If it's not, allow me to retort, to borrow a phrase.

Bigfritz, consider the following:
1. You do not land your 135 very well under perfect conditions.
2. You have cut away that 135.
3. You are petrified.
4. You are over a field adjacent to the dropzone, and you are low.
5. You don't remember which way the wind is blowing.
6. You can't see a windsock.
7. You need to get over some trees to get into the field, but you need to put it down well before the power lines on the other side.

Now, ask yourself if this is a good time to downsize.

Just my $.02 on the small reserve issue.

Brent

Well I'm not considering downsizing, I was just asking what size reserve would be best for me. :)
Here is what I would do is those 7 situations, though...

1. Yes, they're not th best, but they're still stand up landings.
2. Not a problem
3. I don't think I'd be too scared. I'd actually like to cutaway...just for the experience.
4. If I had to land in a rough field, I'd keep my feet together and do a PLF if I had to. Or I'd position myself in the middle of two rows of grape vines in Lodi's situation.
5. I'd just watch which way I was being blown under canopy and which direction I felt the wind coming at my body and clothes. That's how I judge which direction to land when there isn't enough wind to move the windsocks.
6. Same as above
7. I'd pass the trees and circle around if I had enough altitude, or quick S turns.

How's that sound?

Sounds like you might get your self hurt! how long did it take you to think of these? Sounds like you are reciting FJC material. The truth is nobody knows how they would react under these circumstances until it happens! Don't fall into a false sense of security. Listen to the experienced jumpers and learn. I have 82 jumps and 50 + on my tri 210 loaded at 1.0- 1 and I'm still getting to know the canopy, and there have been a couple of tricky situations but none serious yet. But I'm still learning. Do yourself a favor, Don't get cocky!

Listen to the Bytch. She is trying to tell you that the chances are that you are going to hurt yourself under that 135. True none of us have seen you land but the odds are against you. Don't be a statistic. Jump the 150 or 170. Spend time on it. Do a bunch of jumps (like say a few hundred) on the bigger canopies. I bet you will learn faster. It gives you the chance to make a mistake and walk away from it. The same mistake may kill you on the 135. It hasn't been reported yet but a guy just killed himself at Eloy today under canopy. Had more jumps then you on a 150. He had jumped it a bunch and thought he was ready for a 135. Asked if he good demo a 135 and was told NO! Went out and jumped the 150 and killed himself trying to spiral down to the ground. You don't have enough experience to know what you should be jumping yet. Listen to your instructors and the staff at the DZ. I am sure they like you and don't want to see you get hurt or die because you couldn't wait to get a smaller canopy. I know it sucks to rent gear, but in the long run what is more important, saving money or walking striaght. Don't think you are bullet proof. YOU ARE NOT! You may be getting better at skydiving and landing but you are not an expert! You are new, listen to people who want to help. IMHO anyone telling you to jump a 135 and a 113 reserve is doing you an injustice. I think it is a bad idea. Here is to you being safe and staying in the sport a long time. Remember all it takes is one bad decision and your lights may go out forever!:(
Dom

Hi Fritz,

Since you show "formation skydiving" as your main activity, you should realize that you will probably be wearing weights, if you are not already, to put you in the middle of your speed range when jumping with other skydivers. This could add another 6 to 10 pounds to your typical exit weight.

Believe it or not, you'll also be able to tell the difference between the 150 and the 160 square foot canopies.

I have to say, as a jumper getting ready to do number nine next week (GOT SCREWED BY WEATHER TODAY!!! DAMN!). I'm continually impressed by the care taken by skydivers to maximize safety.

The advice, attitude, and sense of brotherhood rock. Good Stuff. I am also looking for a rig, and want to get it so I can start jumping it as soon as they'll let me! (I'm sure it'll be after AFF and A!)

I'm about 5' 10", and weigh around 205 could someone point me to the right rigs????
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm goin with that 150. :)

Hey BigFritz,

I am glad to read that you are comtemplating jumping a bigger main for a few more jumps. I saw that one landing after we jumped together last sunday and it wasn't bad but it was definetly not gracefull:P (you know what I am talking about...)
So going for a 150 or 160 main is defenitely a good idea for a while IMHO. I know Bill doesn't rent a 150 in his rental gear... but that's not really a reason to take the next smaller canopy. Next time I see you, I 'll let you jump my rig with the triathlon 150! That will save you one rental;)
Skydiving is fun... but it's no more fun if you can't jump because you hurt yourself! It was fun to jump with you... How am i gonna jump with you if you were a neck brace or a cast??? It only takes one shitty landing to keep you grounded for 6 months...

Blue ones,
I'll see you next time

Haha, yeah. I'll drop you a PM next time I head over to the DZ. =]

Hi Fritz,

Since you show "formation skydiving" as your main activity, you should realize that you will probably be wearing weights, if you are not already, to put you in the middle of your speed range when jumping with other skydivers. This could add another 6 to 10 pounds to your typical exit weight.

Believe it or not, you'll also be able to tell the difference between the 150 and the 160 square foot canopies.

Yeah, I've noticed that... I can only do RW with a few people that are near my weight. Everybody else drops way below me. My dad was thinking maybe if he got a really baggy jump suit that he might stand a chance. He's 199 pounds, I'm 130. Think that'd do anything?

Where can I find more info about these weights?

------------------------
Freefly, baby.

I having been investigating rigs a little. I weigh 225 pounds and jump a student 280. I may be looking at a triathlon 190 main with 210 reserve with a view to keeping it for some time. Undecided on new or old but a friendly JM as offered to allow me to jump his rig of similar spec. Will investigate further.

I weigh 225 pounds and jump a student 280. I may be looking at a triathlon 190 main with 210 reserve with a view to keeping it for some time

Most likely in the closet as you recover from the injuries you sustained that one time that conditions weren't perfect.

If 225 pounds is your body weight that's almost a 1.3 wingloading on the main. If your profile is correct you have 18 jumps. What's the rush to go so small?

Im wondering if i have got confused with the sizes in that case. Either way i will be investigating further and am keen to have as big a canopy as neccesary.

thanks for the concern, Will look into.

For sure look into those sizes. I'm 200 lbs naked and my first canopy was a Triathlon 220. I have since downsized several times (and am about to downsize again sometime in September as well). But flying a 1.3 loaded canopy right off of student status isn't the best thing to be doing.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over