Chrisky

Recommendations for a Freefly Container...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new container, actually almost placed the order for an Odyssey, but as it's on like 20+ weeks production time, that's too long for me.

If I'd have to jump on rental gear til xmas, i could just as well order a full-option Mirage G4 and put the money in that.
I had thought of a Superfly Tear Drop, but i'd have to get that back in Europe or else pay customs to Canada.
I'd not go for the Voodoo because of the long riser covers, i heard from a friend jumping one that they're pretty unnerving.

What do you people think? It's hard to decide what to do.. Help!?!
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

mmm, VSE Infinity

And your not far from Kapowsin where the infinity is built.

indeed. I've got a brand new Infinity in Kelly's loft getting packed with parachutes for the beer time..if you can afford the drive (and with the price differences you probably can) stop in and check them out..very solid freefly rigs, great customer service and you can get all the bells and whistles on it for much less than an odyssey..

Being so close to the manufacturer can be a big advantage. Nothing like having them measure you - no doubt about whether the fit should be right.

And, they are great containers.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A suggestion .... call Al MacDonald at Flying High Manufacturing in Claresholm Alberta. 403 687-2225. Al builds the Sidewinder which is TSO'd in the US. I would guess he could have a rig ready for you in about 3 weeks. The Sidewinder is a good rig that is tough and long lasting and Al's excellent service is why our club just placed an order for a new student rig with Al.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The Infinity seems to be a quality rig, BUT
my reasoning against me buying one is that i'll probably not be in Canada or the US for longer than a year and then return to Germany. Thus i'd stick to one of the major brands for ease of part replacements.

It's just more likely to get a reserve freebag replaced if its a major "in-stock" brand.
Plus, i've not had the comfort of the cut-in laterals on other rigs than the Odyssey and the G4...

Damn, i hate argueing into the expensive stuff...[:/]

It's just more likely to get a reserve freebag replaced if its a major "in-stock" brand.

What's popular in Germany these days? I'm curious.

Plus, i've not had the comfort of the cut-in laterals on other rigs than the Odyssey and the G4...

The new Wings containers have the cut in laterals as an option now.
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I'm placing an order for an Infinity on Monday. I'm told it's 8-10 weeks delivery. It's gonna be so nice. No more velcro!!
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Most new containers that you order will be freefly friendly.

Then it comes down to price, service, wait time, and looks.

Is the Odyssey worth a 20 week wait? Probably not, when you can choose something else just as safe with a much shorter delivery time.

After watching my boyfriend deal with Wings, I am totally impressed with their service after the sale. I love the looks of my Mirage, but my next container will probably be a Wings, for price and service reasons.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

In German:

Hey, wenn Du eh aus Deutschland kommst, warum kaufst Du Dir dann nicht gleich ein Next oder ein Tear Drop SF?
Ersteres habe ich mir jetzt selber bestellt.
Erst wollte ich mir auch ein Wings holen, hab aber dann feststellen muessen, dass diese meistens nur haesslich sind und die Verarbeitung nicht so toll ist.
Dann wollte ich ein Infinity.
Das Teil ist wohl ein echter Geheimtip und ware, wenn es in Deutschlanv verkauft wuerde ein Renner.
Mit replacement parts waere das auf den Preis eines Vectors gekommen.
Das Ding hat auch deutsche Zulassung, aber die Abwicklung mit Zoll & Co. war mir eine zu wacklige Angelegenheit.
Also habe ich, zumal an unserem Platz das Team Freeflight Paratec trainiert, und diese sehr von Next ueberzeugt sind, ist ein Next geordert.

Ich habe mich vorher ein bisschen informiert, ok, ein bisschen sehr informiert.

Meine favorits waren:

Infinity
Wings (sieht aber scheisse aus)
Vector 3 (kann man mit Skyhook kaufen, erste Sahne)
Tear Drop SF (günstig und gut)
Next

Was ich nicht kaufen wuerde:

Javelin (Odyssee): Die Leute haben es immer noch nicht gelernt, was es heisst, mit der Zeit zu gehen.

Mirage: Habe den Eindruck, dass die ein ziemlich gewoehnliches Gurtzeug verkaufen und nur durch ihren Wirbel den Leuten so viel Geld abknuepfen.

Atom (Legend): Der Hersteller mit den meissten Sicherheitsmitteilungen.

Omega: Schlechte Vector-Kopie. Besitzer klagen oft von sich oeffnenden Risercovern.

Racer: Warum diese alte 2-Pin-Technologie, wenn man zum halben Preis was modernes (Tear Drop SF) haben kann??

Don't be a Lutz!

The new Wings containers have the cut in laterals as an option now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rigging Innovations also offers cut-in laterals on the new Talon 3.
Recently I packed the first two Sidewinders built with cut-in laterals.
Incidentally, Sidewinders use Vector 2 reserve pilotchutes and the reserve freebag is close enough to Vector technology that you could pack a Sidewinder reserve with the appropriately-sized Vector reserve deployment bag.

to Badlock: Naja, ich bin eben nicht mehr in D, ansonsten wuerde ich mir jetzt ein Next holen, Paratec ist eine sehr gute Firma mit Topservice. Aber ich bin halt in Kanada. Der Plan war so, dass das neue Rig hier fertig sein sollte, sobald ich hier bin. Bin ein Jahr hier, deshalb juckt mich der Zoll nicht (nach 6 Monaten ists Umzugsgut).
Was soll das heissen beim Odyssey mit der Zeit gehen? Seltsames Statement.

to Jimbo: Paratecs' NEXT Container is an excellent build, but they don't yet offer cut-in laterals. Also, i have been jumping one for most of this year, i didn't find it as comfortable as the odyssey, but that's an individual thing, others liked the fit of the Next better.

General: If there's a rig with velcro on it somewhere(except for cutaway+reserve handle), i will not look at it twice. PODs with a center opening can stay away too, had that on a student rig and it never made any sense to me, just made packing more difficult.
[:/]

Any comments about the Mirage (except for the high pricing, i know that already...)?
Well, maybe i can jump the Infinity once or twice once i make my way to Pitt Meadows.
Didn't work out today because i'm outta money and have no clue of the public transit in Vancouver. I'll give you guys a call so maybe next weekend someone could pick me up to get there.[:/]
Or if i survive the party tonight, i'll try getting there tomorrow, we'll see.

@ Chrisky

Der Plan war so, dass das neue Rig hier fertig sein sollte, sobald ich hier bin. Bin ein Jahr hier, deshalb juckt mich der Zoll nicht (nach 6 Monaten ists Umzugsgut).

Hmhh.. dann wuerde ich an Deiner Stelle ein Wings, ein Infinity oder ein Vector holen.
Das Vector wegen der Skyhook, das Infinity, weil alle davon schwärmen und es offenbar eine nicht so lange Lieferzeit hat.
Sie verwenden zwar aehnlich wie das Javelin diese Hauptklappe, die nach unten schliesst, die haben die aber so weiterentwickelt, dass sie besser funktioniert als manch andere.
Das Wings verbindet schliesslich alles Gute aus einem Mix aus altem bewährten, verbessert mit neuen Ideen.
Meine Wahl waere Infinity, wenn kein Next.

Was soll das heissen beim Odyssey mit der Zeit gehen? Seltsames Statement.

Ich habe das auch nicht verstehen können, bevor mir das jemand mal genau erklärt hat:
Sieh' Dir mal die Konstruktion an.
Sie ist veraltet. Die Hauptklappe schliesst immer noch nach unten, warum sie manchmal aufgeht.
Javelins kränkeln seit jeher an genau diesem Punkt.
Das ist auch das Konstruktionsmerkmal, bei dem Wings punkten konnte.
Im Gegensatz zum Infinity haben die Javelin-Leute aber keine wesentlichen Änderungen zur Urkonstruktion vorgenommen.
Es gab nicht wenige, die über Odysees gesagt haben, dass sie mies verarbeitet seien.
Manche sagen, es waere "amerikanischer Massenramsch" zum ueberhoehten Preis.

Aehnlich sehe ich das beim Mirage.
Die Leute von der Firma tun so, als haetten sie das Rad neu Erfunden, aber da wo man es nicht sofort sieht, haben die sogar veraltete Technik.
Die toenen gross rum, dass sie als einzige einen neu entwickelten Reservehilfsschirm haben.
Dabei haben sie als einer der wenigen Hersteller immer nich Hilfsschirme, die NICHT ballonartig sind, ergo es eventuell schwerer haben, aus dem Lee zu kommen.
Vector, Infinity, Wings, Next => alle haben sie da neuere Technik, wobei das Next mit 62 lbs. spring tension im moment sogar den staerksten Hilfsschirm am Markt hat.

Du siehst, ich habe mich ziemlich informiert :P:D.
Ich hatte halt alles andere vor, mir shit andrehen zu lassen, mit dem ich ein paar Jahre durch den space rauschen will.:S

Don't be a Lutz!

Its simple really... Drive down to Kapowsin for a couple days jumping.. have Kelly measure you.. and in 10 weeks or so make the drive down again for a day of jumping and pick up your brand new container and harness. There is nothing quite like having the rig built locally just 2.5 hours away from where you are. Just pick out the reserve you will be putting in it and have it all packed up and ready to go.

Amazon

You get what you pay for!

Do you really think?
My rigger (4500+ jumps) jumps one and many of the skydivers at our dropzone jump Tear Drops to.
Tear Drops are a generation later compared to every racer.
No velcro, no 2-Pin.
I would never buy a container which has an OLD 2-pin reserve system.

Don't be a Lutz!

Do you really think?

I don't think, I know!

My rigger (4500+ jumps) jumps one and many of the skydivers at our dropzone jump Tear Drops to. Tear Drops are a generation later compared to every racer. No velcro, no 2-Pin.

Please read my post again, tuck tabs on the riser covers, translated, no velcro!!! and since the 2K3 in the picture is one of the first off of the production line I would have to ask what you are basing your comparision on since you probably have not seen the new 2K3 much less tried one.

I would never buy a container which has an OLD 2-pin reserve system.

If the 2-pin is an "OLD" system then why is it still the fastest non- RSL deployment reserve system made? You might want to at least be objective and look at the rig and maybe even try one before you slam it.

I second the wings. Best bang for the buck I have found, and a great container overall.

Just got my new one, with cut in laterals, and they are very nice. Keeps the rig in place throughout freefall, any attitude.

The VSE rigs never really fit me right, but then again, I never had one custom constructed. Heard lots of good things about them.

G4's are very nice.. high on the comfort scale, but also high on the dollar scale. Similarly priced G4s are 20%-35% higher than the wings) if I remember my research correctly.