parachutesj

What is the lifetime of a rig?

We hat the discussion in another thread. I am just curious. How many jumps or what is the maximum life of a harness? When do you plan to replace it?
I know it depends on usage, storage and most importantly where you use it (dessert - heat and sand, lots of UV) and also who jumps it. I think a harness for a girl with 100 lbs is not stronger than one for a big guy.

Would you agree to a maximum lifespan (10, 15 or 20 years) and why or why not?

OPINION: I dont think there should be a "maximum life span" of a rig - each should depend on the individual wear on the rig.

Perhaps there is scope for a maximum number of jumps - perhaps specific to each maufacturer but I think this would be unworkable.

There could also perhaps be moves to ban certain design elements of some older rigs which are now acknowledged as being unsafe, along the same lines as rigs being declaired "not freefly safe".

I don't know if it is an APF rule, or a CASA rule, but this is how we do it.

If a manufacturer hasn't issued a 'use-by date', then gear can be certified as airworthy by a properly certified person.

If a manufacturer has issued a 'use-by date', then gear can be certified as airworthy by a properly certified person up until that date, after which it must be retired.

If a manufacturer has issued a 'use-by date', and the expiry date/manufacture date is not visible, then the gear must be retired.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

This sounds sensible -- it might be arbitrary on the manufacturer's part, but at least there's a reason besides "I don't like old gear."

My backup rig is older than my 19-year-old son, and in great condition. I inspect it carefully, and wouldn't think of jumping it on a freefly jump (lots and lots of velcro).

If you jump older gear, you need to be willing to retire it when the time comes because of damage (including sun damage), but that's the cost of older gear. But it's damage, not just age. Also, from looking at numbers, many people jump a lot more per year than I seem to remember. I remember someone making 350 jumps in a year and it was a lot. So 20 years old doesn't necessarily mean it's been jumped 1000 times per year, eihter.

After all, don't folks talk fondly about the cheapo jumps and other round jumps at some boogies? You really think they're still making that stuff?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

if you leave your gear out in the sun, drag it across the ground when you pack, jump in a desert environment, jump in a salt water environment...all of these things add up...if you do all of them your gear isn't going to last nearly as long as someone who always uses a packing mat, always packs indoors, stays out of the sun as much as humanly possible, etc etc etc....thousands of jumps on a rig is very very possible...you can also wear out a rig FAST by not treating it right....I saw a mirage the other day that was only two years old but had very fuzzed up main lift web/reserve risers, faded panels, cadmium plating coming off, just looked like crap....problem is when I asked the owner about his care plan for the rig..."I'll just buy a new one".....scary part is he is probably going to try to sell this rig to someone at my home DZ...VERY scary..:|:|:|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

A few weeks ago I jumped gear that was manufactured in 1973. For the record, I was born in 1974.

If manufacturers were to put time limits on gear, I would suspect its purpose would be to sell more new stuff then retire un-airworthy gear.

Determining the airworthiness of equipment is a relatively straight forward process, one that any experienced rigger is more then capable of doing.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

ozon layer in South America

I have relatives in Argentina. My aunt is an avid lawn bowler, and has been for about 60 years. The ozone layer is no lie -- no one can stay out in the sun any more without burning a lot faster than they used to. Not based on science, but direct experience.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Let's ignore the wear and tear issue.
Grab a 1983 issue of Parachutist magazine and read the ads to see what was "hot" gear 20 years ago.
Back in 1983 a "hot" rig was a Vector I with a 5-cell Swift reserve and a Cruislite. The rig had lots of Velcro and the main pilotchute was mounted on the leg strap. The only electronic AAD was the Sentinel.

This was pre-tuck tabs, pre-ZP fabric, pre-Spectra, pre-Cypres, pre-collapsible pilotchutes, pre-collapsible sliders. pre-BOC, etc.
Most of this technology can be retrofitted, but sometimes the retrofits cost more than the rig is worth.

Step forward to today and you will find that no self-respecting rigger has packed a Vector I reserve pilotchute in the last decade. Fortunately the Vector II reserve pilotchute is a simple drop-in fix.

CSPA recently issued a Technical Bulletin reminding riggers of the correct way to route brakes on 5-cell Swift reserves. It seems that 5-cell Swifts have become so rare that younger riggers are not learning how to stow their peculiar brakes.

Sentinels have been out of production for several years now and I do not know if that shop in Texas still services them.

Finally, you cannot GIVE away a Cruislite these days.

So, yes, your 20-year-old rig may still be airworthy, but it is hopelessly out of fashion.

We hat the discussion in another thread. I am just curious. How many jumps or what is the maximum life of a harness? When do you plan to replace it?
I know it depends on usage, storage and most importantly where you use it (dessert - heat and sand, lots of UV) and also who jumps it. I think a harness for a girl with 100 lbs is not stronger than one for a big guy.

Would you agree to a maximum lifespan (10, 15 or 20 years) and why or why not?

In the US, the harness and container system and the reserve have a lifetime of 120 DAYS.

This gets renewed (or not) every 120 days.
Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Well I jump a 94 talon.....

I do freeflying so I had the rig updated....newer tighter BOC pouch....more secure reserve pin flap installed. Fixed riser tuck tab...replaced velcro on stearing lines....Main pin flap already had tuck tabs which are in good shape...

It all depends..you can take an old rig and update it.
I think my rig is just as safe as the next guys..because I maintain the fuck out of my rig.

Plus...rigs can spend a lot of time in hybernation. My rig looks like it was used a few years, then spent the rest of the time in a closet. It definatly doesn't have 10 years worth of wear and tear. The main is a Sabre 150 that is in great shape Manufactured in '96
....the reserve is a Swift Plus 7-cell...manufactured in '93... It looks like it's never even been used! brand new clean white lines.

Just cause somthing is old doesn't mean it's not safe as long as it's maintained well.

scott

I think you miss the point of the thread

I think she hit the nail right on the head actualy.

I'd venture a guess that she (as I do) thinks that imposed life limits are wack, and if instituted buy an industry driven body may have less to do with saftey, and more to do with built in obselesense.

A Rigger should be the final determining factor in the airworthyness of a pice of gear. A loft I worked for had a limit of 30 years. After that they refused to pack it no matter what shape it was in.

Limited their liability.

I agree with this, but still think it should be an individual/loft decision, not a rule handed down by the industry.

We need no more in the way of regulation, especialy if it goes as far as FAA regulation.

The FAA doesn't really understand our gear.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So, yes, your 20-year-old rig may still be airworthy, but it is hopelessly out of fashion.

That is true. But when someone comments on that, I can say "I bought it new." And it gave me the time to pick new gear carefully, rather than renting and therefore picking quickly because of rental fees.

I would never recommend my old rig to a student or a novice. But I'll jump it willingly. And since I have a white jumpsuit, it's obvious that fashion is not high on my list of priorities. :)
Wendy W.

At my old dropzone, they had this really old parachute system where you actually wore the reserve on your stomach. The main was on your back and had 3 closing pins. I always wanted to fly it. I think it's about 30 years old but the DZO/Master Rigger says its safe to fly! I wish I tried it, just for fun!

scott

I think you miss the point of the thread

I think she hit the nail right on the head actualy.

I'd venture a guess that she (as I do) thinks that imposed life limits are wack, and if instituted buy an industry driven body may have less to do with saftey, and more to do with built in obselesense.

A Rigger should be the final determining factor in the airworthyness of a pice of gear. A loft I worked for had a limit of 30 years. After that they refused to pack it no matter what shape it was in.

Limited their liability.

I agree with this, but still think it should be an individual/loft decision, not a rule handed down by the industry.

We need no more in the way of regulation, especialy if it goes as far as FAA regulation.

The FAA doesn't really understand our gear.

Just a thought, but maybe the manufactures would like to limit their liability by removing some of their older rigs from service.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

At my old dropzone, they had this really old parachute system where you actually wore the reserve on your stomach. The main was on your back and had 3 closing pins. I always wanted to fly it. I think it's about 30 years old but the DZO/Master Rigger says its safe to fly! I wish I tried it, just for fun!

scott

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hah!
Reminds me of the gear that was in fashion when I was student in 1977-1979.
Only our freefall rigs had 4 main ripcord pins.
I still have the scar from an unstable opening that came after a hard pull!
If you brought that gear to Pitt Meadows, I would steer you towards the garbage can!

scott

You talk like you think it came from the Jurassic period. Some of us not only learned on that type of gear but made several jumps on it after being students.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals