Jskydiver22

Stupid Comment about a rig

This weekend at my dropzone i heard something that really kind of bothered me.

Two jumpers with minimal experience were talking about freeflying. (In my opinion they should both get a lot better before attempting anything else but belly flying) One had a vector2 with velcro riser covers and a worn out main flap cover, the other had a older javelin with velcro riser covers.

The one with the vector 2 said "I would like to start freeflying, but do you think my rig is ok to freefly with?" The other said "O yeah! sure, everything looks tight enough"

All i could do is look at another skydiver as we both shook our heads.

Im not sure on the year of the vector2 but the javelin was an 88. Still, they both need to get better on the belly first.

Any ideas on this?

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

Post: I have coached him before. I'll keep an eye on him before he goes up tryin to freefly. Its always a little scary when ya hear people sayin stuff like that.

Coached somebody with 200 jumps only??? with probably triple your jumps I would not dare to do that, jumps with them give them good advice, I would not call it coaching, all of us need some advice from time to time, yes is a litle scary so is reading this post.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I talked about rigs in this thread [ url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1231163;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread" ] Why you should have good equipment to freefly [/url] Look at the pictures, print them out and let these guys see them. I've posted them at the rigging loft and at the gear store. Hopefully it will make people think.

D

You only have to have a B licence and 100 jumps i believe to get a coach rating.

I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than it has been, but this fact scares the crap out of me. I waited till I had nearly 400 jumps to go through the coach course, and I still think I was doing it prematurely. Someone with 100 jumps should not be allowed to coach... in my opinion. :|

Yeah i agree also. I have taken people up only after they have gone up with much more experienced people and cleared for being non-radical. I still really keep my guard up when taking someone. I have actually taken people up and coached them when they didnt quite have their license, but that were good enough to get it.

O yeah i guess i have a question for you guys with coach ratings. Well see, im only 17, will USPA still let me take the coach course?

You only have to have a B licence and 100 jumps i believe to get a coach rating.

I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than it has been, but this fact scares the crap out of me. I waited till I had nearly 400 jumps to go through the coach course, and I still think I was doing it prematurely. Someone with 100 jumps should not be allowed to coach... in my opinion. :|

You also need to be evaluated on your teaching and in-air skills!
The USPA set the B lic. and 100 jumps as a minimum. Some folks at that level are capable. Many are not.

I got my AFF rating with 385 jumps. Before that I had done several coach jumps leading up to my rating.

If a jumper has coaching in mind from the begining of their skydiving career, they may be dedicating those first 200 jumps to perfecting those skills.

Keep in mind with 200 jumps, you are coaching the basics. But still. Coaching. It's not for everyone. But I believe that some folks make great coaches from early on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'm sure that some jumpers ARE capable of obtaining a coach rating with 100 jumps. After getting mine, I thought the evaluation dives weren't very challenging.

In my opinion, the problem isn't that the coach is going to be necessarily "dangerous" in the air with a student. The problem I see, is that a student at our dropzone pays $50 for a coach dive out of our super otter. That pays both slots, gear rental, and coach fees. If they are paying that much a jump, don't they deserve to jump with someone with a bit more experience than 100 jumps?

Plus, as far as someone wanting to be a coach since they started the sport.... If someone wants to be a freeflyer from the start, we don't send them out headdown on their 30th jump. If someone wants to fly a camera from the start, we make them wait for a couple hundred jumps. If someone wants to be a swooper right out the door, we don't give them a sub-100 velocity as their first canopy off student status.

Again, I'm sure there are some people ready for that kind of commitment. I personally think the number is low.

[/highjack]

sorry guys... tangent. :P

Hmmm. I must be old school and stuck in the 90s. Back then we didn't charge for coach jumps.

There are different levels of coaching. Someone with 200 jumps can take up a new jumper who is trying to perfect their turns. Starting and stopping on a dime. Someone who wants to practice docking. Someone who wants to work on their track. These are all skills that a lower experience jumper/coach can watch and critique.

I think that is what the newbie coaches are for. On some drop zones it's pretty hard to find an very experienced coach to go up with when you have 15 jumps and you are still working on the basics.

These new coaches fill that niche. In the process they gain the experience of teaching that will keep their skydiving skills developing as well.

Just my opinion. Worth what you paid for it. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I agree. We are a small cesna dropzone and all i and the other coaches are charging is the slot and $5 for the pack job. Its fun teaching, but at the same time i keep it serious and really try to improve their skills.

But i still have a question, will USPA let me get my coach rating at only 17 years old?

According the IRM essentials on uspa.org an applicant for a USPA Coach

1. Introduction and Orientation

4 Requirements
a. reached the age of 18 years

d

I applaud you interest in becoming a Instructor/coach I guess it depends on the dropzone and if you come from a small dropzone jumping out a cessna, "in the land of the deaf people the blindman is the king" applies
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

i take it these people at this dz who have older rigs arn't in the UK...

usually in the uk we flightline check each other, when i do this with people who i don't know i'll ask what they are planning to do on there jump, who they are jumping with and general chit chat while checking there gear.. if there gear isn't upto the challenge of what they are going to do then i will not sign for there check and ask an instructor to check them over, be it 30 or 3000 jumps, i'm not going to put my name to something i don't think is safe.

The only way they'll learn is when they have their first premature deployment freeflying. Then they'll realize that their rig was meant for belly and not desgined to freefly.

-----------------------------------------------
The difference between fear and respect is knowledge. Learn more about what your doing and you won't be afraid to do it.

In my opinion, the problem isn't that the coach is going to be necessarily "dangerous" in the air with a student. The problem I see, is that a student at our dropzone pays $50 for a coach dive out of our super otter. That pays both slots, gear rental, and coach fees. If they are paying that much a jump, don't they deserve to jump with someone with a bit more experience than 100 jumps?

$50 is a pretty good price - I've been paying 35-44 per jump just for me and the rental. As high as $104 for a coach jump - though for that I got AFF-Is.

man I watched a guy have a preemie in a sit....wooohoooo the look on his face was priceless...

and if you notice it, you should mention it, there are two types of bad advice, bad advice for not even considering it and bad advice for not giving it when you know. (even if they are skygods ;) )

and this post goes out to a gentleman who kept his mouth shut when I was doing something stupid and waited until I told him I would love to hear people say something to me if they noticed.

Cheers,
Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

"in the land of the deaf people the blindman is the king"

I am not mocking your English translation ( my Spanish is non existent).....but thats one of the funniest misquotes I have heard for a while.....

Just take a minute to picture this 'land'

Thanks for the chuckle....:)