neilly

new gear, where are the good deals?

Hi there,

does anyone know where the good deals are happening at the moment, I wanna buy a new rig, all custom colours, preferably a teardrop with sabre 2, is there a particular place in the uS someone would recommend?
Fly like an aardvark

Bought my new gear through TSO-Deland. Great prices and wonderful service. Cant say enough about it.

I highly recommend them B|

http://www.tso-d.com/

About the Teardrop, it looks like it aint manufactured any longer. It was a product of PISA which was absorbed by Aerodyne. Aerodyne has kept producing some of the PISA products but discontinued many. I cant find any mention of the Teardrop on Aerodynes site so I expect its gone the way of the Dodo bird

About the Teardrop, it looks like it aint manufactured any longer. It was a product of PISA which was absorbed by Aerodyne. Aerodyne has kept producing some of the PISA products but discontinued many. I cant find any mention of the Teardrop on Aerodynes site so I expect its gone the way of the Dodo bird

The Teardrop is manufactured by the english Thomas Sports: http://www.thomas-sports.com/.

PISA made the Naro I think, I don't think Aerodyne ever made a container before (?), they do now tho. I saw one, seems real nice. Looks like a cross between an Atom and a Vector 3 or something, liked it...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My apologies if my info was wrong. I got it from here

http://www.pisa.co.za/sport/products/default.asp?id=6&menuid=02.04.02

This link I got out of a thread called:

"Does anyone have any first hand experice with a PISA Teardrop Container??"

Found it in the gear and rigging forum. The link above seems to bear this out.

The "teardrop" on the PISA site looks like the same container found on the Thomas site.
Did Thomas Sports buy the design from PISA?

Keep in mind, when it comes to service, you get what you pay for. Saving a few bucks on the initial purchase only to get hosed when you're trying to get something fixed or help with a problem is a tough way to buy gear.

Buy from a shop. Support your local gear store and you, your friends, your DZ and your local area all win!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

You're being recommended a whole lot of US dealers. Unless you're coming over here to buy gear, your best bet is probably to ask people at your home DZ where the best deals are as well as here. Service after you buy is sometimes as important as the purchase in the first place.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm with Wendy. Follow up service is really hard to provide (particularly with harness fit) to a customer who isn't standing in front of you.

Not to mention, do you really want to pay someone in the US to buy a European rig? I mean, I'd love to sell you one, but it doesn't make sense to me...

Now for the Sabre2, try Para Concepts, located at Skydive Chicago... ;)

I called all the names advertized in Parachutist, and Skydiving newspaper. I obtained quotes for a custom made odyssey, cypress, 160 PD reserve, and a custom colored Sabre 2. Out of all the quotes I got, the best price was Storrie Parachute Works, listed in Skydiving newspaper. With an 800 number, free shipping, and reserve pack job, this guy was the best!

He'll answer all your questions, is honest, and had accepted my personal check as payment.

Good luck!

That is the best way to do it, call/email around and get quotes. If you are comfortable going to the manufacturer yourself, and service after the sale isn't that important, then go with the best deal. (A lot of the time the best deal does come with the best service)

It's best though to know exactly what you want when you do order though, if you are a new jumping talk to your rigger and instructors about gear and take notes. Know ahead of time if you want stainless, hip rings, or even reserve slinks. There are dealers out there who will try to sell you things you don't want or need. So be prepared to say no, they should have no problem if you say "I'll need to get back to you on that". Rigs are a very big investment, make sure you get exactly what you want.
Fly it like you stole it!

The exchange rate between Euro and dollar has been good to European skydivers who want custom made rigs from the US. If one can avoid the Danish sales tax (25%) by picking it up oneself or having someone else do this, one can save a good amount of money.

If only I had the money...

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

dont just buy european cos your in europe. Buy whatever you consider to be the best rig. Skydiving is a world market and there are supprisingly few barriers to buying overseas if you are willing to do a little juggling.

My fave way is to get a friend/local team/DZ staff to bring back gear for you when they come back from overseas hols - its called the "beer for gear exchange system".