NathanL100

What Did You Learn This Weekend?

i've been working on my sit/stand for the past couple of jumps and have been getting it pretty well, doing solo's and everything. thursday was my first time trying to interact with other in a freefly and i did pretty damn good. i could go forward, backward, side to side, and could increase or decrease my speed when i wanted. so i was pretty pleased about that.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I did about 40 something coach jumps in July and August (biggest mistake was doing 14 in one day...:|), got very disillusioned after that because my head down still sucked. Took a 7 week break from jumping (lack of money, lack of main and partly couldn't give a shit anymore). Went out yesterday, did two solos and somehow it just clicked for me! :)
So, I learnt that if you are getting really frustrated with something, maybe taking a break or at least trying something totally different might be a good thing.

Will

PS I also spent some quality time with non-skydiving friends the last two months and don't intend wasting weekends at rained-out DZs anymore.

Most of them were in Sweden (35 with Adrian Nicholas) and then got some more with Tim Carter in the UK when I got back. Of my last 250 skydives probably about 50 were coach jumps, and the only thing I proved is that I am not a natural. :(

Still, I've got my camera-suit coming and next year I'll be getting my wing-suit, so its not all bad! :)

i really started to 'get it' as far a movement head down...did some great 2 way with "bullet' bob learning to fall slow and stable on my head..learned to 'play' with my legs in wind and not getting locked into one hd position and start picking up speed.

have to say i noticed immedately i was doing better, nearly hanging with my floaty roommate while she was in a sit..

also i learned how to follow a 3 way flower out hd from the camera step...a very fun exit :)

Well, I'm starting to get HD. Not get it in the real sense of the word, but get is as in I'm getting in it for the majority of a dive. Its frustrating since my head up flying is rock solid, but I hadn't done any HD work until now (rig issues). Slowly but surely. Oh, my HD speeds are slowing down too, didn't even break 200mph on the last one I did. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I learned that flying with a 9" wide, 12' long streamer in a sit-fly creates a lot of drag, enough so that I know that with trying to keep stability on a simple streamer dive I have no business thinking about getting a freefly tube yet.[:/]

Dammit, I hate being my own voice of reason. Oh well, looks like I'll have to make a bunch more jumps perfecting that stability before moving on. Darn.;)

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I learned (after my first attempts at it) that free flying isn't such an easy thing to do. I tried four solo sit jumps. My first attempt sucked, my 2nd attempt was better, my third attempt I actually established some sort of sit and got up to 176 mph, but still it wouldn't be considered a great sit jump. And on my forth and final attempt of the day, the attempt sucked (I might have been getting tired).
Oh well, there's always next weekend. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I learned that I need to keep my legs closer together in my sit. On a coach jump with Chris Fiala you could really see that I had my legs spread way apart and that this was limiting my mobility.

Funny, in videos from the past couple of weeks people have been commenting that my legs are too close together, so I've been working on spreading them more. They say it's more stable, but right now for me it's more shakey

--
Hook high, flare on time

I learned that sometimes you jsut have to say no to jumping....altitude was too low for me (others got out) but I decided to ride the plane down. then on the next jump I had some funky line twists that took me a bit to get out of..not to mention I was terminal so who knows what could have happened on a hop and pop with little alti to play with..
:)
-yoshi

Yeah I had heard that too and so I started to move my legs farther apart. As I did so I found that when I wanted to fall straight down this worked great. But when I wanted to go forward or backwards I would develop stability problems. Chris disected my body position and said that having my legs spread way apart makes it difficult to adjust how the air is deflected off of my body and therefore my movement through the sky. Having my legs spread was basically causing my calfs to catch a bunch of air when I tried to go forward. This was mainly due to the fact that spreading my legs way far apart made it more difficult to drive my legs down.

$.02 for what it's worth.

J
YSD#0009

i get my legs really wide and fall slowest when i put my calves in the wind..when i'm driving or backsliding though i keep them under my knees mostly...driving forward while still falling slowly i'm not quite up to yet...

Dusty and Sean the dudes of AFI are way cool about sharing the 'how and why' flight..then its up to me for the 'do'

whats the FFer count for the Eloy gathering anyway? i cant wait to fly with yous guys!!

I learned that my sit is FAST!

LOL...I'm just a little girl, but when we broke the 3-way train that we launched, I immediately went low and the other two had to go into a stand to catch me!

It was still a rocking jump, and I ALMOST got my first ever dock in sit. But not quite. Maybe next time.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

i learned how to fly head down. i am learning to fly head down for 30 jumps. Some of those jumps were good some of them bad, and i didn't know if i'm sliding all over the sky, am i vertical or anything, till this weekend, when i got my reference point (friend in stand :)it was a sunset load. I had a camera and for the first time recorded whole jump with the setting sun and the sea above me, and the sky below. GREAT JUMP!
"George just lucky i guess!"

I learnt a couple of weeks ago that a nil wind day, lots of 8-ways and new canopies make for a morale building day on a dropzone. 70% of some loads didn't manage to stand it up.:D People with 900 jumps and people with 25 jumps. All in all a great and safe day.

www.myspace.com/durtymac