ridestrong

Homemade camera mount/cover for the Contour HD

I decided I prefer my full face too much to not try a side mount that will still allow me to put my visor up. The problem was the side mount is a large snag hazard and also allows for the camera to easily be knocked off, so this is what I came up with.

The cover is rather simple, cut from a thicker aluminum that should hold it's shape even against riser slap. It is designed only to keep the risers or lines from snagging the camera. There is a hinge in the front and the back is held to the helmet with a snap button. Everything is held on with lock-tight nuts and bolts.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world but seems like it should do a pretty good job of diverting the risers/lines. I still plan on taping around the bare edges and adding some foam cushioning on the inside between the camera.

Any other advice is appreciated.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

The one thing I question is the snap button at the back, however it does hold well. Was thinking about replacing with a wing-nut.

The duct tape that can be seen is just covering some lock-tight nuts, not actually holding anything together.

Anyone have any actual advice. If you see flaws in it, what are they? If I can make changes to make it safer that's the whole idea.

There is a forum for cameras and video, you will get lots of answers there. But I bet they will be answers you won't like.

It can be easily removed by 2 bolts, and top mounted on my open-face in 30 sec. I'm not worried about scrapping the idea. I'm just looking for some constructive criticism and for anyone to point out actual flaws or snag points.... so far nothin.

It can be easily removed by 2 bolts, and top mounted on my open-face in 30 sec. I'm not worried about scrapping the idea. I'm just looking for some constructive criticism and for anyone to point out actual flaws or snag points.... so far nothin.

Yeah it can be easily removed on the ground! I know you have experience taking your helmet off during ep's though so I'm sure you will be fine:S

With so many of today's well made helmet choices with nice flat spots on the top, with the idea that you would place a camera, such as this one...... It leaves one to wonder why not just use the right tool for the task at hand, rather then try to reinvent the wheel, again.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yeah it can be easily removed on the ground! I know you have experience taking your helmet off during ep's though so I'm sure you will be fine:S

I think you misinterpreted that...

but anyway... do you see a snag point or flaw in design?

Dude, flying a razor blade doesn't sound like a wise thing to do. Someone or you funnel out and that damn thing hits flesh, say goodbye to some serious skin or worse. Personally, I wouldn't jump with you with that helmet on. Buy and fly gear that's as safe as it can be. MY 2 cents.
Party like it's $19.99

With so many of today's well made helmet choices with nice flat spots on the top, with the idea that you would place a camera, such as this one...... It leaves one to wonder why not just use the right tool for the task at hand, rather then try to reinvent the wheel, again.

I agree there are some great helmets out there but, I want to continue to use my full-face if possible.

Dude, flying a razor blade doesn't sound like a wise thing to do. Someone or you funnel out and that damn thing hits flesh, say goodbye to some serious skin or worse. Personally, I wouldn't jump with you with that helmet on. Buy and fly gear that's as safe as it can be. MY 2 cents.

I taped all the edges, as I said in the first post.

Okay, do you really want to hang a front riser on the aluminum lip all around the snap?

I can see it leaving you, with or without your head in it, in a couple of openings.

Think about where the risers come from and where they go.

Not to mention pilot chutes, reserve PC's, bridles, lines, risers, etc.

I've made a lot of crap and jumped a lot of it in 30 years. And I've gotten away with it. But I never hung a hook like that on the back of my head.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Just for fun, I read the comments before looking at the photos. I was not disappointed.

Do not jump that. There's a reason you don't see ANYTHING that looks like that,or is constructed like that, or uses materials like that. The reason is that it will not work, will not protect anything, will do more harm than good to you, your gear, other peoples gear, and other peoples bodies.

If you really want to side mount the camera, get real and side mount it. Remove the thing from the 'post' that extends it out from the halmet, tuck it in close and build or modify a box that flush moutns to the side of the helmet.

Other jumpers aside, you have some very unfriendly materials and shapes in the direct vicinity of your 'deplyment areas'. Just because you can't see it happening behind you, less than a foot from your head there are all sorts of things going on in the case of a main deployment, cutaway, or reserve deployment. It doesn't take much for that distance to be reduced to zero, the riser slap is a prime (and probably the most harmless) example. Those happen on a standard deployment where all other things are 'normal'.

Fast forward yourself to a cutaway and reserve deployment where there's a good chance that things will not be 'normal', and the consequences of a snag or entanglement are much worse. See where this is going?

Before you build anything else, mock it up with cardboard and take a good look at it. If it's not something you would want on your head when cutting away, unstable at 1000ft., then it's not something you want to jump at all.

Okay, do you really want to hang a front riser on the aluminum lip all around the snap?

I can see it leaving you, with or without your head in it, in a couple of openings.

Think about where the risers come from and where they go.

Not to mention pilot chutes, reserve PC's, bridles, lines, risers, etc.

I've made a lot of crap and jumped a lot of it in 30 years. And I've gotten away with it. But I never hung a hook like that on the back of my head.

Yes, thank you... I can see where a riser could catch it if coming up at the right angle. That is the type of input I've been looking for... not all the worthless BS that came before it.

Guess I'll scrap the idea... and just top mount it on my open face, with that mount that uses that dual-lock velcro stuff.

http://www.xtremevu.com/

It wasn't worthless BS. Everyone knew it was bad. You did need to know why but the basis for the comments was that it was obvious that you didn't know much about mounting cameras.

Going with something commercial gets you the accumulated knowledge and experience of the industry.

I've done the same thing you've done. My first still and video camera mounts were made out of sheet aluminum with only a drill and hand tools. But this was in the early 1980's when nothing else was available. While not an experienced camera jumper my first video camera used a full size VHS tape in a battery operated VCR on my chest with a separate camera on my head.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE