Marisan

Small Canopies

Why would anyone jump a canopy that having line twists on opening result in a high speed spinning mal. Where hard toggle inputs can result in the same. Where a low turn results in Injury/Death.

I also have no desire for a canopy that is so sensitive to body position on opening that a look over the shoulder to watch the PC lift the bag is risky, but of course hard toggle inputs/low turn can kill you on a manta. I also have no desire to land at high speed, if canopies could have flaps like an airplane to allow slower landings, that would be great, but the opposite is now seen as desirable. A nice easy stand up still is a great feeling for this old timer. Unfortunately, a progression to a WL of about 1.5 is seen as expected, and new jumpers get in a hurry to get there. It is especially risky for those that only make a handful of jumps per weekend at best. That includes a lot of people, and they really ought not be pushing their luck.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Amazing the effects of a hard impact on the ears, radically improving the ability to listen. Also seems to have triggered an ability to impart common sense to others.

Extraordinary......

Nothing like the school of hard knocks to provide a sound, instant education.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

>Amazing the effects of a hard impact on the ears, radically improving the ability
>to listen. Also seems to have triggered an ability to impart common sense to others.

Agreed. Ironically one of the same people who was giving Sangi advice is now demonstrating that it will take the same hard impact to allow him to listen to the same advice.

>Amazing the effects of a hard impact on the ears, radically improving the ability
>to listen. Also seems to have triggered an ability to impart common sense to others.

Agreed. Ironically one of the same people who was giving Sangi advice is now demonstrating that it will take the same hard impact to allow him to listen to the same advice.

Bill, you'll strain the barrel of your rifle if you take long distance potshots from the rarified atmosphere of that pedestal.

FWIW, my comment was only partly directed at Sangi, but perhaps it was too subtle for even you to grasp that point.....

Be clear. I am definitely NOT one of those offering a friendly shoulder for Sangi to cry on. I'm glad he is alive, but I have no sympathy for his self inflicted misfortune.

Having dealt a crushing blow to both his body and his ego, the sympathy vote is all he has left. He doesn't get mine though....

That might suggest he suffered an unfortunate accident through no fault of his own, which was clearly not the case. He is an example for his bulletproof peers, but that is about it. Like him, I doubt they will be receptive to his message though.

Like him, they need to know there is no glory to be gained both before or AFTER they've tried the "damn the torpedoes" game and lost, no matter how humble they have suddenly become.

I wish him well for his future career in the bowling alley.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

ironically, the people that see me jumping regularly, dont seem to mind

1. I have seen AFFI's sell their old 1.4WL Stiletto's to people who just got their "A".

2. Some people know others are just not going to listen to any advice offered.... So they just don't try to give any.

So, just because someone turns a blind eye... Doesn't mean they approve.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i'm trying to find a rig!

but if you really think that jumping off 380ft bridges is safer.. well, then i dont care much for your 200 bucks.

BTW, my last STUDENT-canopy was a 190..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

but if you really think that jumping off 380ft bridges is safer.. well, then i dont care much for your 200 bucks.

BASE canopies are also nice for casual classic accuracy from planes. While consistent landings on a 2cm disc might be a bit much, your packing mat or middle of the pea gravel isn't and you can have a comfortable flare from 2/3-3/4 brakes instead of a full-sink crash.

Find yourself something like a used Javelin J7 (I paid $800 for mine with a Raven reserve) and have at it.

That'll do you more good when you want to jump into tight landing areas than 10,000+ skydives (apparently not enough to avoid crashing into the trees on a landing area that's a whopping 40-50' long) under a small canopy.

to a 220 sq ft Pegasus when I finally hung up my rig.

well, that 220 number is pretty much a 'best case' for a Pegasus. I'd estimate that the actual average square footage of a Pegasus is about 170 sq ft (depending on how many cells would stay inflated at any one time)

:D:D:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

BASE canopies are also nice for casual classic accuracy from planes. While consistent landings on a 2cm disc might be a bit much, your packing mat or middle of the pea gravel isn't and you can have a comfortable flare from 2/3-3/4 brakes instead of a full-sink crash.

Find yourself something like a used Javelin J7 (I paid $800 for mine with a Raven reserve) and have at it.

That'll do you more good when you want to jump into tight landing areas than 10,000+ skydives (apparently not enough to avoid crashing into the trees on a landing area that's a whopping 40-50' long) under a small canopy.

completely agree; last time i asked if i could jump my base-canopy (in a skydiving-rig of course) at the dz, i almost got kicked off. but i do land my small wing within 10ft on about 95% of my jumps..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda