pst

Should a brand new canopy be taken terminal

I dunno about not taking it to terminal, but its a good idea to do some high hopnpops to get the feel of the way the new thing flies.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Reserves often have their first opening at terminal.

The only reason to do that is to familiarize yourself with the canopy, as far as I'm concerned. If quality control is such that you have to worry about a canopy being OK if dumped at terminal, I'd have to wonder about the canopy.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree with Thighman, I have always heard that you need to "set the lines" on a brand new canopy. So on your first jump take it subterminal and throw as stable as possible for a clean deployment.

I am not a rigger, nor do i make parachutes, so it would be best to contact your parachute manufacturer.

I have never heard of a 10-15 jump break in period, just one jump.

J.Neas

I agree with Thighman, I have always heard that you need to "set the lines" on a brand new canopy. So on your first jump take it subterminal and throw as stable as possible for a clean deployment.

I am not a rigger, nor do i make parachutes, so it would be best to contact your parachute manufacturer.

I have never heard of a 10-15 jump break in period, just one jump.

J.Neas

What exactly does "set the lines" mean?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think what he is talking about is making sure that the brake lines are set correctly, but I could be wrong. I think even opening at terminal that would be fine..I dont really get why any manufacturer would suggest non termi openings for any number of jumps...other than opening high to make sure that the canopy flies right and the the brakes are set correctly.
-yoshi

An Ass at my DZ just got his canopy religned and found that his openings sucked. After much prodding he found out that it was religned out of trim so that as it broke in, the openings and flight characteristics would improve, thereby increasing the usefull life of the lines. I'll see if I can dig up the correspondence or have him post it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Actually, I think it has something to do with the first time you put a major load on new lines. You want them all to set evenly. Lines, the attachment points on the parachute, and so on.

In reality, I have just heard this from a number of experienced riggers and maybe it's old school, but it doesn't hurt to do it.

Once again, I have no idea of the validity of it.

J.Neas

I may be wrong, but don't all canopy manufacturers test jump their parachutes before they send them out to customers? So in the case of a new parachute (not a reline) wouldn't the lines already be set from the jumps already put on it or is the manufacturer putting sub-terminal jumps on it as well? I don't remember reading/hearing anything from PD about H&Ps when I got my vengeance.

-FB
-FB

they tell that shit to motorcyclists to keep em under 70 for the first 5000 miles..... ( BULLSHIT )

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

PD must have been doing something different then when they were building my vengeance cuz they wouldn't send it to me until they liked the openings and I know they even had to put a new line set on it... canopy was done custom too so I know it wasn't used.

-FB
-FB

Derek,

There is no need to "set the lines" on a new parachute or a new reline.

Take your new canopy to terminal on jump number one.

This old idea comes from the early days of spectra lines. Some of the early producers of spectra line did not stress/stretch the line and uneven loadings would stretch lines differently. In the earliest days of spectra here, we actually pulled it before installing it on canopies.

Today, feel free to take all new canopies to terminal on jump number one.

Chris

Precision Aerodynamics

>Is that kinda like the old addage that you shouldnt drive a
>brand new car more than 40 mph for the first 100 miles or so???

Many new cars recommend you vary the speed of the engine considerably for the first 100 miles or so i.e. don't just cruise at 70 for an hour. It's for engine breakin. Can't see that applying to canopies though.

its not necessarily for engine break in now adays but more so to set the computer... if you srive the shiznit out of a car in the first several hundred miles the computer sets for its optimum gas milage at those speeds. if you drive normally then it will set for that.. the reason they say now not to drive like a bat out of hell is so in 6 months you're not wasting through gas like water when you ARE using cruise control... they dont usually say a speed not to go to, but not to take it over a certain rpm....(something like 3500 rpms as when I recently bought a new infinity g-35)
-yoshi

>if you srive the shiznit out of a car in the first several hundred miles
>the computer sets for its optimum gas milage at those speeds.

Hmm. Where did you hear that? The car I have now doesn't do that, and it gets pretty good gas mileage (~50mpg.) Engine computers have a few specific functions like spark advance, mixture, and WOT control; what gets 'set?'