DSE

Do you use gaffer tape?

I promise that when I slap a $50K lens on my Rebel XTi, I'll use a clown balloon to hold my zoom where I want it.

Do I have to go to clown college to learn the proper knot to tie? :P

Dave

This one can go on your Rebel. I'll bet they'd throw in balloons for free. I'll teach you how to tie it so it looks cool. If it looks cool, it'll focus better.

Who uses zoom lenses?:P

Ohand you can keep your stinkin' pink slip, this ain't the brodcast production world.

Well....several responses (and other posts) suggest folks are using the stock 18-55 zoom lens that came with their camera, so I'd assume many are using zooms, even if they are locked down.
Outside of that..."You're Fired."B|
Oooh. I feel like Trump.

Well there are profesional skydiving photogs and there are.......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In the broadcast production world, that's a fast pink slip.

Lots of bad managers in the broadcast production world?
I'd imagine it would be much more effective to teach the person the proper way of doing it instead of spending a lot of time of getting a replacement...

9,800,000 yen (w/case and hood). Not bad...that's like 12 bucks or somethin'...right? :D

I know you are joking but, it comes out to 79,821 USD. Thats a lot of money.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

OK, OK, Uncle! I give up.***

Damm it's about time! Now that you have seen the light, shut up and get your tape out and apply as needed......:P Or we'll report you to the union and get your union card yanked.......:o:P:D

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

14 meter minimum focus... Hmmm... 1200mm x 1.6 makes it effectively a 1920mm lense... again, hmmm.

Fortunatley it has a focus preset function, so I won't need to gaffer rubberband the focus down.

At 16.5 kilos plus body weight, it's going to be hard to find where the balance point is along the barrel to correctly mount it on my FTP, especially at almost 3 feet long...

It's also gonna be a hellov'a job getting my ringsite centered to let me get those opthomalic shots of the tandee's eye from 35 feet away!

While exiting will be interesting, trying to turn to clear my airspace under canopy could be difficult...

That being said, have your contacts little people call my little people, and we'll see what we can sort out...

C.

:D

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

I promise that when I slap a $50K lens on my Rebel XTi, I'll use a clown balloon to hold my zoom where I want it.

Do I have to go to clown college to learn the proper knot to tie? :P

Dave

This one can go on your Rebel. I'll bet they'd throw in balloons for free. I'll teach you how to tie it so it looks cool. If it looks cool, it'll focus better.

$50,000 for the lens. Surgery on the neck...Priceless. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Sorry for not replying earlier, it has been busy around here.
The first pictures shows the three stow bands to be used and the manner in which to tie them together, simple.
The second picture shows the stow bands in place on the camera and placement of the small band.
The third and forth pictures show the camera from the top. One while being zoomed, the other in the released position.

Hope this helps.

Allright, i'll admit it, i have ruined a sigma 15mm because i had gaffers tape on it.:$ Somehow the lens got switched from MF to AF while taped down, it makes the most godawful grinding sound now when in AF mode, like the gears are stripped or something.[:/]B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Allright, i'll admit it, i have ruined a sigma 15mm because i had gaffers tape on it.:$ Somehow the lens got switched from MF to AF while taped down, it makes the most godawful grinding sound now when in AF mode, like the gears are stripped or something.[:/]B|

That sucks. The nice thing about my Canon 10-22mm is that the AF does not move the outer focus ring, so that could not happen.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yeah I just use one wide stow band and put it round the lens barrel right where the zoom barrel rotates round relative to the housing. It stays in place in freefall and if I ever want to zoom on the ground it will still rotate with a little force (the force is simply friction between the rubber housing and the rubber band so no biggy).

As for doing any of these things to the stock 18-55... pft, they're only worth what, two jump tickets? If you bust the thing just throw it away and use it as an excuse to buy a nice lens... now that one you might want to look after.

Somehow I think though that with all the abuse that we put our camera gear through, they're gonna be dead long before the gaffers tape gets the best of them anyway... that or really outdated given the pace of change these days.

I have gaffers on my Sigma 15mm to hold the focus in place. To be perfectly honest with you, if I cared about it more, I wouldn't take the thing skydiving. I guess I don't really though. Many times over I have earned back the cost of the lense. (and my whole helmet really)

Here is another cool shot I took with it just to spice up the thread.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka