RkyMtnHigh

Hey Vidiots..

Modest Mouse Float On...what else have you mixed it with...if you have used it at all:S

It sooo paid off to ask what Genre the tandem liked because there was a petite lil fleur who based on stereotype would think would like girly girl music or hip hop..and OMG..she asked for Death Metal..so I downloaded some stuff from I Tunes and made it happen..

Another guy INSISTED on Sweet Home Alabama and Tim McGraw's Live like you were dying...OMG..had to download those as well and MAKE them work in the video.. But the good news is that they were very happy campers that their favorite songs were part of their skydive videos...and are coming back for another tandem or even to start AFF...so ummm I suppose it was the right thing to do....:D

I coupled Megadeth Reckoning Day OR Train of Consequences with the new Linkin Park song What I've Done which has been really good..

Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape along with Just a Girl (extended version) Ian Van Dahl..has been good too

The Cult In the Clouds..aong with Neuromance Clouds..nice mix as well

for tandems i'll edit anything. I dont give a crap if they want flight of the bumblebee or some barbara striesand song.

nothing about a tandem video is about the editor.

now, if you're talking about editing the year end DVD...well just click my link (part 2) and you'll see for yourself.
My photos

My Videos

The only person that is 100% right, every time, about subjective and aesthetic decisions in any program is the Executive Director; the guy that fronts the money.

If he hires you and trusts you to "do the right thing", then you're free to do whatever you think is cool as long as it ultimately meets with his approval.

If he hires you to execute HIS vision, then you do what he wants.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

customer is always right :)
I had a guy request marvin gaye.... and for some reason their actually was a cd of marvin gaye in the drawer with the song he wanted on it.

and the music didnt go half bad with the skydive. He didnt come back for another tandem or to learn how to skydive, but he left a very happy customer.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

For my day job, I'm in sales and I totally agree. I'm very customer service oriented, therefore this weekend gig is easy breezy to ask the tandem what genre they like and get as close to what they like as possible, even if it means downloading their favorite song from ITunes...and even if I and the other vidiots don't think it's a good song to choreograph to a skydive..hell..I'll do my best to MAKE it work.

With the Tim McGraw song and Sweet Home Alabama I knew it would be a stretch (and the other vidiots said Hell NO they wouldn't use those songs) so I did for this particular person and made it work... I so lucked out on the transitions, fading, and slow mo parts fitting to the words of the songs.....B|

Pretty cool when you hand them the DVD and they watch it right there in the hangar on the big screen TV and are dancing in their seat (enjoying the music) and give you a big hug and thanks at the end...:)

I think its funny when I hear a vidoegrapher say things like "but my name goes on that product"

As if they think its going to be their breakthrough to a movie career.

put the songs that the customer requests and move on to the next customer.

It also drives me crazy when videographers go head down then belly to earth then HD again etc.

To a whuffo the HD view is confusing. if you want to fun jump go fun jump but dont ruin the students video by making them show the video upside down.
My photos

My Videos

I think its funny when I hear a vidoegrapher say things like "but my name goes on that product"

put the songs that the customer requests and move on to the next customer.

It also drives me crazy when videographers go head down then belly to earth then HD again etc.

To a whuffo the HD view is confusing. if you want to fun jump go fun jump but dont ruin the students video by making them show the video upside down.

Neither of our names are on our DVDs...we have the Skydive Atlanta logo poster in the beginning which shows the # and at the end he thanks them verbally for coming to Skydive Atlanta..but no more marketing than that..;)

I've been reading this thread and lurking, till now. I will agree with what all has been said to a point. Where I disagree is,

Look I own my own multimedia company and produce alot of media, many of my clients have come from meeting them while making their skydive videos. I have been doing Skydive video and film going on 15 yrs now and 25 yrs outside skydiving, while I'm no DSE or Mike M or Tony H. ect, I still have a reputaion I have worked long and hard to build up, and yes my production company is credited on every video I or my company makes. Why? Because I'm a L.L.C. not an I.C. as most in other words a business, in this case a production company and it is the best free marketing one can get. It is no different then a clicky url logo on a website.

As for letting the client pick their music, ONLY if it is already in the itunes or they are holding the cd, and even then it is a maybe. I don't have the time to fuck around waiting for them to go to the car or download shit from the net, it is high volume turn over and there is a trade off, if they want it in 30 minutes from landing along with the others on the load, you get what you get.

With that said, this all started back in the day when there was only a few of us who had any real editing so our videos were better, had music and titles and a few trans. while others it was just raw shit and bad at that. So the dzo grew sick of hearing customers bitch about johnnys vid is way better then sallys, crap. This would include crap like,

Well over time all the stupid shit the "pretend videoflyers" (where are they now?) had been doing the dzo, much to our dismay spent money and a new DZ owned edit station showed up with a new rule, each and every single video would be the same, PERIOD! Same music, same shots, same titles, everything.

So those of us who for years had spent thousands of dollars to keep and maintain a system were shit out of luck and told we couldn't use our set up's anymore.

Well that made for huge traffic jam after a twotter load with 5 or 6 videos on it and there was no trained full time editor and everyone had to edit there own videos. It got to be a huge pain in the ass to keep replaceing song after song because some retard tandem student wanted Christal Gayle for a sound track or some other stupid shit.

So the rule is now, there is a handful of songs with in the time line and moved around based on the persons, age, sex, religion. For the most part each is clean and something you could play in sunday school or at your local bar, yet still cool.

Like I said if it is in the itune menu or their holding fine I might change it out for them, it has more to do with volume and speed.

If someone want's a video done with the music this way and that, here and there, and slo-mo this, and do that here, they can hire me for the big bucks then and I'll be happy to produce them a movie and they can have all the control that their paying for. (and they have & do)

For all the risk and investment involved to the camera flyer for the rate paid, for the type of product most dz's put out, why try to be Hollywood on a Kansas City budget. Hey if you got the time to fuck around downloading music and waiting on people to grab CD's and all that shit more power to ya, but my ass is importing stills and video at the same time and then draging, dropping some frames, sliding the tunes in place and exporting to dvd in a few minutes and while that records I'm packing so I can do two more back to back.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I don't have a whole lot of time to reply as I am at work but maybe there is some miscommunication here.

1- I have a list of songs that I let the tandems choose form I do not wait for them the download anything either, but if they have a cd that has all three songs on it I will us eit with out question.

2- I never said or even implied that they have a say in the editing process. I have my "script" and I edit it that way. the music makes no difference.

3- maybe you're insinuationg that I am not one of the real videographers...If that is the case I ask you to keep your ego in check.

4- You may have a different goal than some here. as a prod co owner but the way I see it is the CUSTOMER is who I aim to please. If i do the job right I will be pleased no matter what shitty song they choose.

5- IMO if you want to go head down etc then add a trailer to the beginning of the DVD to show the student different disciplines of the sport. there is no reason to confuse them with an upside down image of their first skydive. In my experience, most of them are dissapointed in it
My photos

My Videos

1. That works for you cool.

2. I didn't say you did.

3. Not at all, I was agreeing with you and talking
about the "flash in the pans" I have seen come and go over time.

4. I understand your point, I don't have the time to mess with the extra bs for the amount paid to do it. Like I said it is about mass production with speed and turning out good product with in that time.

5. It should be quite clear I totally agree with you and could never understand why some "videoflyers" think Grandma wants to see that shit upside down, she don't! they want to see Jill & Jack offs face front and center, not the camera flyer showing how great their are (same gose for the lame one liners too, I see why so many quit comedy and became skydivers) or tandem master doing the funky chicken across the sky, or picking their nose or riding shotgun or any of that other shit some think is cool because their bored doing the job.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

1,2,3,4 And 5.

There was miscommunication; On my part:S Please except my apologies.

I agree with the one liners and the sexual innuendo's as well.

On more than one occasion I was filming a school teacher who wanted to show her kids then some corn hole grabs her boob or puts his crotch in front of the camera. The fun jumper with his finger in his nose can be disgusting, but that is forgiveable.

Theres a time and a place for that stuff and if you're(not you; the cornholes) not sure than it should be left as a professional setting.

I had to edit someone elses video (which I thought was hacky) because the teacher wanted to show her kids....and she was a friend of a local jumper.

I did it for free to in order to show the good graces of the drop zone and so she would be HAPPY with a product she can show EVERYONE.

My photos

My Videos

A lot of camera guys like to fly HD and get the upside down shot..but I agree that it confuses the tandem when they watch the video...just as they comment about deployment how they "went back up" but don't realize that the camera guy is still in freefall.:D

A lot of camera guys like to fly HD and get the upside down shot..but I agree that it confuses the tandem when they watch the video...

Yup...

I went thrugh the HD tandem phase, until I realized it is not about me, but about the person who paid good money to get their tandem documented.

there should be nothing except good clean fun for tandem videos for paying cliens - no show boating, crotch grabbing fingers or any bonfire bullshit...

Just good clean fun...

A lot of camera guys like to fly HD and get the upside down shot..but I agree that it confuses the tandem when they watch the video...

Yup...

I went thrugh the HD tandem phase, until I realized it is not about me, but about the person who paid good money to get their tandem documented.

there should be nothing except good clean fun for tandem videos for paying cliens - no show boating, crotch grabbing fingers or any bonfire bullshit...

Just good clean fun...

Some include the shadow of their high performance swoop as part of the video as well and when the tandem views the video they say "wow, look how fast we came in" but it was their camera guy:S

it's been exlained in my later post.

It means that the customer should be happy.

It does NOT mean they should be looking over your shoulder tell you how to edit the movie.

our editing board is in the open and the students (like 99.99999% of the time) always watch the video when we're editing. most of the time they are standing there,with jaws open, catching flies.

I have never seen anyone try to correct the editor but I have had a few ask for the raw footage.(which makes it easy on me since I can pack while the video is dubbing.)
My photos

My Videos

One thing you dont want to get into is...Asking the customer what music they like. That can lead to a wasted 10-20 minutes of them running to the car nad picking out songs. I normally ask the customer what thgey like so they can give me the music before. saves lots of time
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Yea. I have a list printed out with about 35 songs on it.

usually with big groups I'll have them look at the list while their friends are skydiving. That way its no big fucking surprise to them.

99% of the time they are quick about it but its the 1% who ask to hear songs etc that suck nuts.

we use to use a cd (10 songs) to edit but I got so fucking tired of hearing the same songs it drove me to make a new list.:D

If I have to hear eminem's lose yourself again I may puke.

My photos

My Videos