sundevil777

Cypres II 'power supply'

From the SSK - Cypres II FAQ site...

Question:
Seriously, why is the CYPRES 2 battery good for 4 years?

Answer:
For the user, the power supply of CYPRES 2 is actually "good" for the 12 year lifetime of the unit (as long as the 4 and 8 year maintenance are performed) - as far as the technical particulars, again, sorry as this is proprietary

I have a theory. The power supply is not a battery, it is a thermionic generator! Just like some satellites (remember the Russian satellite that fell out of orbit with such a power supply), a radioactive hunk of material decays and produces electricity, like a solar cell for a different type of radiation. Mystery solved!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

with all the questions about the new Cypres units couldn't it be - in part - that the unit itself uses less power and is more efficient so the batteries don't have to be replaced as often?
[:/]Maybe it's a stupid thought, but I know that a lot of batteries have a long shelf life and I'd imagine that they'd live for quite a while if they weren't being drained too quickly.
just my $.02.
matt

Don't forget that the original Cypres design is about 10 years old. So if 10 year old component and battery technologies can give a 2 year battery life, I bet they're not even breaking a sweat to get to 4 years out of modern technologies.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

There is more to it than more efficient electronics, from the SSK FAQ:

How can you be so sure that the CYPRES 2 battery will last 4 years? What is so different that allowed you to get rid of the 2-year battery change requirement? I don't see how this could be from more efficient electronics alone. Is the battery a new technology type? If not, why no 2 year limit?
- one of the many items in the list of requirements for CYPRES 2 was "no battery hassle at all for the owner", it took a long time and a lot of effort to find the solution - you are correct in thinking that it is not only the electronics - without being rude, we have to say that the information is proprietary, and that we just can not explain all technical details about CYPRES, as there are those out there that have an interest that is more than just to satisfy their curiosity, sorry
- for that matter who said that CYPRES 2 even used a battery and that it only lasted 4 years? :-)
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

i can understand them (SSK, Airtec or whoever) not publishing schematics, but if a competitor wanted to know how it works, all they have to do is buy one and pull it apart. if they've lowered power consumption and/or come up with a better battery design why don't they just say so?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I bet it works like a wristwatch that doesn't require winding, with one or more of the following mechanisms...

1) A pendulum mechanism connected to a generator
2) an RTG (radio-isotope thermoelectric generator)
3) solar cells
4) extracting electric energy from motion through the earth's magnetic field
5) Thermoelectric generation from the temperature changes at altitude and ground level
6) a flea running in a cage connected to a generator
7) Extracting energy from a vacuum using the Casimir effect
8) fuel cells, oxygen from the air and methane from...(well, you know)

(don't believe any of the above)

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I rather fancy that quantum vacuum fluctuations of the electromagnetic field within the cypres unit provide power.

That, or it's powered by the radioactive decay of all this weapons-grade balonieum. ;)

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Don't forget that the original Cypres design is about 10 years old.

i know you said about 10, but it isn't actually more like 14, i know some people that had their 12 years go up, and it seamed like it was a while ago.

maybe i'm wrong, but it's at least 12.

but still, your point being it is considered "old technology" i was just trying to re-enforce it ;)

later

Hello,

The flea running in a cage connected to a generator
is my personal favoured B|
To make it short:
The CYPRES 2 is battery powered. One of the major tasks during the years of development was to achieve what we have today - 4 years of skydiving without limitations. This is possible through a good power source and a very smart power - management / low power consumption.
When the CYPRES 2 is due for the maintenance, we take care of the power source. The price for a maintenance will be pretty much the same as today for the Cypres 1 (exchange rate/ inflation changes possible) - but the power supply will be included.

No ba..... will appear on any invoice, neither will something like this be available in the field.
The word ba..... does not even appear in the CYPRES 2 manual.

For the skydiver, it really makes no difference if we would give the generator flea after 4 years a new portion of Airtec's secret astronaut-space food (thousands of calories on a few mm³) or take care of the power source in another way.

This might have been the reason for the rumours...;)

Blue Skies,

Kai Koerner

Airtec GmbH
Wünnenberg
Germany

LOL Rogue!
Well that new "Vigil" thingy is making the same claim on battery life isn't it?
I understand they will even give you one for free if your willing to test it. :) Something like that anyway.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Its One point twenty one Jigawatts?!? What was I thinking??

As for the battery... If one does thosands of jumps a year (Airspeed) will the battery last through all that? And What happens if you get voltage errors in the start up? Is that an automatic 4 year check at that time or is there an option of ordering batteries?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As for the battery... If one does thosands of jumps a year (Airspeed) will the battery last through all that? And What happens if you get voltage errors in the start up? Is that an automatic 4 year check at that time or is there an option of ordering batteries?

I guess that I could accept that Airtec might have simulated such a high usage.

It sounds like Airtec has a lot to brag about with their new unit's power management, but As Phreezone noted, I don't like the possibility of having to send it away for a new battery if it does - somehow fail?

Even if it would not be worth riggers stocking replacements, why not allow a rigger to install it after having it shipped overnight, etc. As someone else has already noted, won't your competitors figure it out by opening one your units?

Come on guys, loosen up and give us a little more info, please.