speedy

How many of you vidiots can do this?

Someone just called me this evening and said that their tandem video had been eaten by the VCR (remember VHS tapes?)

Anyway, could I send them a new copy.

They jumped in July 2002 :o

I am burning a DVD for them now :)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I haven't been shooting that long. But everyone I have shot after about the first month (i wasn't saving them) till when I stoped doing my own editing is backed up on DVD in a binder. I put about 4-5 tandems to a DVD.

If I shot it, I should have it. I write over tandem tapes, but I do not write over funjump tapes. They just pile up.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I forget when I went to minidv (maybe '99 or '00 or so)...but anyone who requested a video from that point on would have no problem getting it. If I got my hands on a hi8 deck people who I filmed as far back as '96 or so could have their video redubbed...I save everything.;)
Miami

How close was their memory as to when the jump was?

FYI I am firmly in the "If they are lucky" category. I haven't had one yet I couldn't find but my stacks of tapes are not even close to being organized. I keep saying I will fix that but, yeah right.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

You save each and every jump (full length) on your computer? How big of a hard drive do you have?

They are all on mini DV tape. I get about six on a one 1 hour tape. Cost to me to archive is about $1.30 per customer.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

How close was their memory as to when the jump was?

They could give me the year and month. That was enough. I even had their postal address ;)

I did a lot of VHS tapes in that year. I wonder how many would be interested to get their video on DVD.

Edited to add. The first attempt at burning the DVD failed :( Some strange error code. Maybe the video has started to rot B|

BTW I charge for recovery :o $23
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

speedy, you certainly are a master of customer service.
I could do it.
one big shoebox full of tapes turns into two shoeboxes and then three.

I would have to say, I have it, but I can't find it. 200-300 tapes only 50 labeled. I would then invite them out for a new video of their second tandem at 02 prices.
stay safe,
jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

You save each and every jump (full length) on your computer? How big of a hard drive do you have?

I keep the original DV tapes, and I archive captured AVI to DVD-R. It takes about 3 DVD-R's to fit 1 hour of DV footage, but usually there is at least 10-20 minutes of crap on each DV tape that I don't permanently archive in a captured state. After 1 year of shooting video, and less than 200 camera jumps, I have probably 20 tapes and 40 DVD-R's in my closet, neatly organized and labeled. :$ The organization is mainly for myself, for (1) when I decide to edit a video summarizing "Summer 2006", for example, and (2) when I think of an old jump that I want to see again.

If I was doing anything more than the few fun jumps per week that I do, this task would be too big to keep up.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

2002? No promises, I might have it, I might not. It would be hard to find if I do. How much do they want to pay to have me look?

Anything I have done in 2006 I can do, no problem. 2005...maybe. I think one year is a reasonable time frame to expect (hope for) even though it is never implied.

My last VHS was over 3 years ago and everything since has been on DVD. Nobody even asks for VHS anymore....

I always give them a post dive about making their own copies and contacting me in a reasonable time frame if they want to get more from me.

We are talking tandems right?

I keep all my tape. Mini-dv, Digital 8, Hi-8. All the tapes are labeled and I have a binder with the videos logged.

However, asking for something 4 years old may be a little hard. My descriptions in the binder may say "Tandem video/ TI name and cute redhead". The customer would need to describe their appearance for me to find it.

Anything in D-8 or Hi-8 cannot be recovered as I don't have a machine that will play them.

Danger

I keep the original DV tapes, and I archive captured AVI to DVD-R. It takes about 3 DVD-R's to fit 1 hour of DV footage, but usually there is at least 10-20 minutes of crap on each DV tape that I don't permanently archive in a captured state. After 1 year of shooting video, and less than 200 camera jumps, I have probably 20 tapes and 40 DVD-R's in my closet, neatly organized and labeled. :$ The organization is mainly for myself, for (1) when I decide to edit a video summarizing "Summer 2006", for example, and (2) when I think of an old jump that I want to see again.

If I was doing anything more than the few fun jumps per week that I do, this task would be too big to keep up.

Great idea, thanks!

They could give me the year and month. That was enough. I even had their postal address

Yeah, I never even see their addresses so there is no way I would have that. My hat is off to you but I have to agree with the post that said one year is reasonable and I also encourage them to go home and make copies of both the DVD and the CD of their stills. The handful of times I have been asked I was able to find the jumps though.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Someone just called me this evening and said that their tandem video had been eaten by the VCR (remember VHS tapes?)

How do you "slate" or keep track of which customer is which?

Do you number the tapes - or write the period of time on the tape???

How do you "slate" or keep track of which customer is which?

Do you number the tapes - or write the period of time on the tape???

"ending dd/mm/yy." has worked perfectly for me since '99. As far as "slating" goes, if you standardize each video to a certain degree (I try to have the student introduce themselves first thing, so I can remember later on), all they have to know is the date of the jump. If you want to get al organimized n' shit, you could go as far as a dry-erase board, but IMHO, that's WAAAAY too much trouble to go to to keep your Tandem jumps organized. The "Shoebox" system works pretty well for me (mine's a "modified" shoebox--see attached).

I could still get 95% re-edited with even an approximate date, but it might cost them the same price as their original video depending on what they needed.

The DZ I've been working at DZ buys all of our mini DV tapes for us and collects them back as we go through them. This way when there is a turnover in videographers, or one of them is not able to be reached for some reason, the customer can still get their re-dub in a timely fashion.

pope

They are all on mini DV tape. I get about six on a one 1 hour tape. Cost to me to archive is about $1.30 per customer.

where are you getting your tapes from? You're getting ripped off if you're paying more than $3 unless you're using ultra special super high premium tapes. You should try buying in bulk (>20).

Also, just out of curiosity, how long is your finished product if you're filming ~10 min of raw footy (assuming Tandem vids)?

pope

how long is your finished product if you're filming

MY finished tandem videos are about 10 mins. They also get 1/2 an hour of extras but that is standard stuff which is not archived every time.

I used to archive the finshed video but now I only archive the raw footage. It is very rare that customers need the video re-done with DVD.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

$2.47per tape plus a flat fee of $5 for shipping so getting more makes more $ense where i buy them :P

yah. same price I've been getting--I usually get a bunch of vidiots together in the beginning of the season to buy 20+ each--usually ends up adding a max. of $0.10 extra per tape.

Four pounds per tape?
OUCH!

pope

I began shooting video in early 1991. (Regular 8mm) I have every single tape stored in boxes I bought from The Container Store. (They STILL sell the same type of box!)

So now I have almost 300 tapes of either 8mm size or mini DV size. I can find any event by either date or key word because the summary of entire library is logged in a DBase file. (Referenced by tape number and either counter position or time remaining on tape) The 1991 video is still doing well. The boxes are stored on a plastic shelving unit to avoid magnetism.

My last VCR, a very expensive SVHS unit that I've had since 1995, took a dump yesterday. All of my movies that I mastered on SVHS have been put on DVD now. I'm presently copying DVD to DVD, and that works pretty well too.

Never toss an original tape or negative.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I began shooting video in early 1991. (Regular 8mm) I have every single tape stored in boxes I bought from The Container Store. (They STILL sell the same type of box!)

So now I have almost 300 tapes of either 8mm size or mini DV size. I can find any event by either date or key word because the summary of entire library is logged in a DBase file. (Referenced by tape number and either counter position or time remaining on tape) The 1991 video is still doing well. The boxes are stored on a plastic shelving unit to avoid magnetism.

My last VCR, a very expensive SVHS unit that I've had since 1995, took a dump yesterday. All of my movies that I mastered on SVHS have been put on DVD now. I'm presently copying DVD to DVD, and that works pretty well too.

Never toss an original tape or negative.

ok, that's some damn impressive filing... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...