Skydive2

Lexan Roll Up Doors on Cessna 182's ??

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I figured that airplanes could be considered part of our gear so here goes...:)
We currently have 3 narrow body cessna 182s that I'd like to put lexan roll up doors on. I've seen many wide body cessna's with the roll up door mod, but never any narrow bodies. Has anyone seen this mod done on the narrow body cessnas? Does anyone that has experience with "roll up" doors on cessnas have anything good/bad to say?
Just something were considering.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and blue skies

Lance Linton
Parachutes Are Fun, Inc

somehow a narrow-assed 182 without a flip up door banging me in the head (ours works fine at low alti but at the top the damn thig just does NOT like to stay lateched open) would be just too weird.

That said, I will watch this thread in case anyone can find a reasaonably cheap source becasue I'm sure our DZO would be interested.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

We have two wide body 182s with flip up doors. They have always flown up and stayed up regardless of altitude. I find it odd that yours can come down in flight. Doesn't airspeed/aerodynamics prevent this?
We have only had problems with the latch keeping them up on the ground when there isn't any airspeed to keep them up.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Our problem is exactly the opposite - the door latches just fine on the ground and during a wdi/toad load. At alti and speed it "will" stay up but it buffets an inch or 2 - to get it to latch you need to "SLAM" it which is kinda hard until you;re under the wind - and by then I don;t really care. We've adjusted it a few times over the last year - maybethe latch is simply wearing out - this plane has been a jumpship for a very long time ... and is a 182 "A" ... well older then me and most of the jumpers on the DZ

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Pop over to CSS and take a look at Pauls personal 182. Its got a roll up door on it thats sweet. Pilot reaches over and slides it open, flies to the exit then just reaches up and shuts it. I think CSS even has the paperwork to do the mod to the plane if anyone is interested.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We have two wide body 182s with flip up doors. They have always flown up and stayed up regardless of altitude. I find it odd that yours can come down in flight. Doesn't airspeed/aerodynamics prevent this?
We have only had problems with the latch keeping them up on the ground when there isn't any airspeed to keep them up.

-Hixxx

Our jumpship is a C182. We've got a flip up door that only gets opened for jump run. Its easy to open and keep open. We've got a locking handle on the fron door frame that can also be operated by the pilot so he can close the door after we've gone.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

so he can close the door after we've gone.

i'm not a pilot, and don't know a whole lot about a whole lot, but who flies the plane when he gets up to reach out and close it???

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

i'm not a pilot, and don't know a whole lot about a whole lot, but who flies the plane when he gets up to reach out and close it???

FAR 105.32(a) states that all single pilot skydiving aircraft must be equipped with a helper monkey to fly the plane when the pilot is busy closing the door.

Dave

ummmm it's a 182. You can pretty much reach everywhere from the pilot's seat.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

FAR 105.32(a) states that all single pilot skydiving aircraft must be equipped with a helper monkey to fly the plane when the pilot is busy closing the door.

Dave

I believe that is FAR 106.32(a) ;)

I would think that a roll up door - rolls up inside the plane and takes up valuable space3 inside a C-182 which is already pretty small anyway!
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

Above the Poconos Skydivers in Hazleton, PA has a souped-up C182 widebody with a lexan roll-up door.

Might check their website - not sure about photos.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

I want to see pics of any C-182 with a lexan, roll-up door. I have been jumping a very long time and have never seen anything other than a flip-up inflight door on one.

unfortunately i don't have an external shot of the plane on me (gotta dig out my camera), but here's a show from inside the 182 at Above the Poconos.

DYEVOUT : nah, no good shots of the door on the site, but i'll try to dig up a shot and post it later on.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

182-door-inside.jpg

Actually, the lexan door doesn't take up much room at all in a 182. CSS has a souped up widebody with one that was down at Lake Wales this winter. No more kicking the rudder and leaning over for the pilot to close the door. Just reach above your head and slide it down. Plus it moves completely out of the way of the door. In other words it eliminates the many snag possibilites that a lot of the regular cessna jump doors have on them like handles and locking pins. I think it's a great idea.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

It would also give you a bit more head room under the wing ... which would be nice.

How tight are these when closed? Are they drafty? Just wondering how they'd be in colder weather.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What exactly is a widebody 182? Is that referring to certain 182 models, or is that a modification, or what? I thought all 182s were the same width, but apparently not. How much wider is a widebody?

Dave

The newer 182's are wider; sorry, but I can't recall the year that the change occurs.

What exactly is a widebody 182? Is that referring to certain 182 models, or is that a modification, or what? I thought all 182s were the same width, but apparently not. How much wider is a widebody?

Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Narrow-body Cessna 182s were introduced in 1956. They were the first Cessna 182s and shared 95% common parts with the tail-dragging Cessna 180 and 185 series. Narrow-body 182s are also referred to as "straight tail" because they have unswept vertical stabilizers and no rear windows.
Wide-body Cessna 182s were introduced around 1962. The wings are similar, but they have new tail feathers and the new fuselage is about 6 inches wider. The wider fuselage is more comfortable, but the extra weight reduces climb rate.
So wide-body 182s are favored by DZs that drop lots of static-liners, while narrow-body 182s are favored by DZs that do lots of AFF.