BMFin

list of cypres misfires ?

I saw a misfire once. While riding back to the dz in a pick up truck, a jumpers cypres fired. It's because of that i will never sit on the side of a truck with my back to the wind.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I saw a misfire once. While riding back to the dz in a pick up truck, a jumpers cypres fired. It's because of that i will never sit on the side of a truck with my back to the wind.

I think it's smart to not sit in the back of a truck with your back to the wind anyway.. what about rubbing, your handle getting kicked or something even if you don't have a cypres.

Misfires aren't the only thing that will get a reserve out.

Sunshine, was it my misfire that you saw? During the record attempts 2000? Yah, I was sitting right next to the CB radio antenae in the back window and the driver keyed the mike to talk and POP!.....Even had the grey sleeve on the control unit to protect against that. I know it isn't fool proof but it sure made me go hmmmmm.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Sunshine, was it my misfire that you saw? During the record attempts 2000? Yah, I was sitting right next to the CB radio antenae in the back window and the driver keyed the mike to talk and POP!.....Even had the grey sleeve on the control unit to protect against that. I know it isn't fool proof but it sure made me go hmmmmm.

It may have been yours. The one i saw was during the record attempt of 2000. I was riding with Bo in the truck picking up jumpers. Hehe, i guess i didn't really know you back then.

That was me. Poor Frank had the pilot chute spring go off the side of his face. The guy at the tailgate tried to catch it but missed. The Reflex Catapult second pilot chute came out and inflated. It provided a second large target which they grabbed and hauled in while Frank jumped on me in back of the truck. So yes, it was another Catapult save. ;)

What it sounds like is DiverDrivers was caused by EMI and not a malfunction of the unit its self. With alot (I'm thinking its 20000+) units in the field for up to 12 years I think the very small accounts of an actual unit misfiring without outside interference goes a long ways towards the relibality of the Cypres.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What it sounds like is DiverDrivers was caused by EMI and not a malfunction of the unit its self.

I can't figure out how you can call that anything but a malfunction. The unit clearly cut the loop when it wasn't supposed to.

Based on my limited electronics knowledge EMI is hard to shield against with out adding a lot of weight and bulk to an object. I think its a trade off of lightweight and decent protection or heavy and better shielding.

I've worked on cars that had their airbags trigger after some electorices overloaded the circuit and fired them. There was no impact but the airbags still activated. I don't consider airbags unsafe since this can happen.

It is a malfunction of the Cypres if EMI causes the cutter to activate, but I think its a different malfunction then it firing for no reason at 10000 feet.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It is a malfunction of the Cypres if EMI causes the cutter to activate, but I think its a different malfunction then it firing for no reason at 10000 feet.

It may be different, but it is STILL a case of a cypres firing when it's not supposed to. That means it is indeed a misfire.

Hmmm, If I remember right you are the guy who thinks that he is perfectly safe to jump a 120 Sq.ft. elyptical at 1.3 wing loading at 49 jumps.
I don't think you need to worry about a Cypres miss fire. It is far more probable that you will get hurt or killed during a landing then having a Cypres fire when it is not supposed to. The reason people use the Cypres is exactly that it is so much more reliable then what has been available in the past.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I agree that failure to fire when supposed to is far more serious situation, but misfire isn't "just 2 out" nowadays - taking into account the popularity of freeflying I can easily imagine a few situations were a misfire -malfunction can be as deadly as "no fire" -situation...