skydivexxl

Mini DV Camera rankings

My Sony PC 101 finally died after 4 years of serious abuse, and I am now eBaying to find a replacement ASAP. I have read some sporadic reviews, but I would love to see peoples input on what they fly and why. Resolution, cradle or no, weight, reliability etc...

I've looked at the HC 20,21,30, 32,40, 42 & 90
As well as PC 5, 100, 120 & 1000
AND TRV 19 thru 85

Most convincing gets a prize :D

Help! And Thanks!

Blog Clicky

You big wierd winner of one of the cutest women ever to parachute: fuck off.

The PC 120 is the best PC type of camera ever developed that applies to skydiving.

That said, HD is the wave. If I were replacing, I'd go with the new HD unit. I will when my PC's die.

Isn't the pc120 the same as the pc110, just with bluetooth? I've been jumping a pc110 for a while now for aff pov video and have been very happy with it.

Have a trv70 for my video/still setup but haven't been able to jump it yet since the repair shop has had it for almost 6 months now...[:/]
Miami

For a cost effective price/performance ratio I chose to purchase and HC-42 last year and am satisifed with it. My only real complaint is the lack of an external microphone input (other than the Sony model that mounts to the hot shoe) I really wanted to add a wireless mic to my system. If money wasn't an issue I'd probably go for the HC-90, I don't think the video quality is noticeably better than the HC-42 but it does have the mic jack.

Another camera person at our DZ has the 330 and I really don't think it looks any better in good lighting conditons either.

I think that the PC1000 has the No1 ranking for all round size, weight and performance.

Then the HC42. based on price and bang for buck etc.

The new HC46 is incredibly compact in size. Smaller in height than the PC109. If you like cameye's you will be dissapointed as there is no lanc port.

In Australia they have stopped dhipping the PC1000 here so they are starting to get like hen's teeth.

The PC100,110 and 120 are two big for my liking but do have good picture quality.

Actually dont forget the PC350 for good size and quality. They are the same size as the PC101/105

Cheers
Cookie
www.cookiecomposites.com

I think that the PC1000 has the No1 ranking for all round size, weight and performance.

I have to give the PC1000 a nod for best image quality as well. There definately is a difference when put side by side with pretty much everything I have seen so far.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I jump the HC42 and am pleased with it, but all I do is fun video. I side mount mine in a Cookie Black Box on a Bonehead Optik Illusion.
Most of my buddies use the PC1000. The PC1000 lends itself better to a side mount setup due to its profile, where the HC would be better as a top mount.

I chose the HC based on cost and having night shot feature.

Has anyone done a top mount of both the HC-1 and 10D/20D? Can it be done? Is it going to be too wide? Would a custom FTP top plate be needed or will this combination still be too wide?

Planning to replace my older PC video camera before the spring season starts. I've got both cameras on top and like it that way. I'm trying to decide between pc1000 vs hc-1. More comments on the hc-1 appreciated. Like... Does it need special tapes or do our same old miniDV tapes work in this camera? The bottom loading tapes look like a pain.
Thanks.
-mh.

sup mike? how's it goin?

here's a review of the HC-1...should have all the stats. the HC-1 runs on regular old miniDV tapes, just as you're used to.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HCR-HC1-Review.htm

as positive as the reviews are here for the HC-1, i think i will wait till 2007 till i start shooting in HD. shit, 60%+ of my customers don't even have a DVD player, why should i think they have a HDTV? as much as i like to put out a quality product for my DZ video, it's the students that pay for it and i can't see the benefit for them as of now for me to buy the HD camera.

i've got a 20d as well, and although it's wide, i dont' seen any reason why not to put the 20d and hc1 side-by-side. just be careful!

b

Bonehead makes a custom FTP plate 1" wider on each side, ask Linda at Bonehead about it. I just ordered one so I can move my D350, HC-42 & flash on top and get the still off the front, it's around $60.00. I'm pretty sure that will work fine for me.

You could also just go to your favorite local metal shop with your stock plate and ask the to make you one of whatever size you ned out of aluminum too or if your really resourceful make our own.