masher

Thoughts on my video? Flying and editing...

Pretty damned good for 30 camera jumps.

Play it for some local experienced camera guys - They'll be able to give you some pointers on timing, exits, and proximity. Looks like you've got some 4 way peeps to fly with and that's always a good way to gain experience. It takes some time to learn how to predict and adapt to fallrate changes and lateral moves but hey, if it were easy, everyone would do it.

Keep up the good work....

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

although im at work and cant view it......

adding a fade transistion between scenes really makes it look more professional.

i disagree.......granted there are places in videos where a transition looks better then a cut.....but look at most of your newer shows and movies.......between seenes there mostly are just flat cuts.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

although im at work and cant view it......

adding a fade transistion between scenes really makes it look more professional.

i disagree.......granted there are places in videos where a transition looks better then a cut.....but look at most of your newer shows and movies.......between seenes there mostly are just flat cuts.

agree. That is... avoid transitions. A few are ok, but in general, more than a couple is overkill. And don't use every special effect your camera can do either, in fact, don't use any of them. imo

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

What's wrong with page-turn transitions:PB|

But seriously...I think it mostly depends on the type of video you are editing. If it's cool and flashy you want, dissolves are not always handy. A quick cut, timed to the music wil look much cooler.

Transitions wil often work quite nice when the editing supposed to be slow in timing..

Like this vid, when the pace quickens, the transitions are dropped, and it's just quick cuts (on the pace of the music)

http://www.bird-man.com/?n=hercules_boogie

But not to take anything away from your video (even though this is a fun side-track)

pretty cool flying, and nice editing.
It kept my attention while watching, and that to me is the only real thing you can judge a video on...will people watch it, or just click it away/turn it off....so I say you did a great job :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Was not able to download your movie m8...so this is just a input for the general effects discussin;)

Most of the time I use crossfade is because a clean cut doesn't work because the footage is to bad....so in my opinion is way saving you'r ass;) ....I use it a lot[:/]

...but offcourse, all effects has it's use - but overusing them on the wrong places, may make youre video look baaaaad.....

Try putting the clips together without using fading can be a challenge, especially with few and bad skydiving clips.
Take a look at the birdman movie posted a link for in this thread. Try to remember what youre eye are looking at in each clip - before and after. If your eye has to move across the screen in a clip the clip looks "hard" (can be avoided using fade, gives the eye time to move). In the birdman movie the eyes stays in the same spot, or are "naturally" moved during a clip - because of the motion in the clip or the object in the clip.

Sorry my english, but hope u understood this - and guess a lot off ppl know this - but it's really cool making a skydive movie where this actually worksB|

.....look at all movies, tv-series and commercial that looks nice...they do it all the time, and it's really something to learn from it......:P

This is my beer video clip. :)

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=2206

Any comments on the video? Flying, editing, etc....

nice first effort!
some comments:
your opening credits were about 15 seconds too long. I understand you were trying to time the action to where the music drops, but you'd be better off fading in the audio to suit your needs.

Good choice of music, but with music like that you need to use a LOT more straight cuts. Your clips were pretty much just stacked on top of each other and then loosely cut to the music. For longer clips you generally want to use music that "flows" a bit better, but that's TOTALLY open to interpretation. That being said, in this project I'd have spent more time cutting it to the beats, letting the music dictate where the cuts happen, not the other way around.

My feeling on dissolves is that you have to have a REASON to use one--I certainly don't see them as crutches--they are NOT. It's way harder to disguise a fuck-up with a dissolve than with a straight cut. Outside of straight cuts and dissolves, I think you have to have a REALLY, REALLY god reason to use one--there are very few that I could say didn't TAKE AWAY from the production value of a project.

Cut down the overall length. Once you finish a project, go through it and try to cut it in HALF. (assuming it's soley for entertainment--otherwise do what the client wants...) It seemed like you were trying to extend it a bit to fill out more of the song. Fade the song out early--way better than forcing the viewer to sift through a bunch of rubbish to get to the good stuff--this is NON-LINEAR EDITING! There should'nt be any unintended dead spots--save that for linear edits.

good job getting the sun to your back, but you could get there way sooner, and then hold your position (there was a lot of orbiting going on). I think you should be closer to the group as well, or change your w/a to fill the frame more. You might want to think about experimenting with a polarizer on bright, sunny days like those also...

hope this helps...remember, it's only an opinion!
keep it up.

pope

Cheers for the comments all.

pope, I understand what you mean about more cuts for that music. I was originally going to do most of the stuff in slow motion, as that is what the music feels like to me, but I've only got Movie Maker atm, so I was a bit limited. I also lack a bit in the footage department, so I couldn't cut too often, as I'd run out.

That said, I'll keep on the editing trail, you can only get better by doing.

out
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Nice video...
I have just started filming 4 way...phew...it aint easy!!
Just reinforcing the points that have been made....more straight cuts to the beats would have been nice.
+
1) Theres a nice sequence (at 1:57 to 2:06) where a slow mo sequence, transitioned in ... with perhaps a simple special effect (warm invert say) would have looked way cool with the subtle change in melody and the shot you had (falling through the clouds...)

I would do some more work on it, but a windows update managed to corrupt my boot sector and fux0r my computer.

I've finished reinstalling everything, but I lost all of my footage. Considering that I've just started, it's no big deal, but I'm investing in a second HDD now...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I would do some more work on it, but a windows update managed to corrupt my boot sector and fux0r my computer.

I've finished reinstalling everything, but I lost all of my footage. Considering that I've just started, it's no big deal, but I'm investing in a second HDD now...

This is what I'm doing at present to prevent that Matt.
I have about 7 tapes, once I've d/l'd the tape to the computer I burn the raw footage to disc. then I edit it and then burn that to disc (or back to tape if giving to a mate) I rotate the tapes throguh so that the footage is on tape for quite awile aswell.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Not bad for the experience level. Here are some things to improve upon:

good job getting the sun to your back, but you could get there way sooner, and then hold your position (there was a lot of orbiting going on). I think you should be closer to the group as well, or change your w/a to fill the frame more.

I agree. It looks like you lost the 4-ways out the door. On the 1st one you went under. That made a cool effect, but I have the distinct feeling you were trying to film from above. Practice your exit timing. Orbiting is definitely noticeable. Try to pick a heading on the ground and keep it relative to the group. Get closer or reevaluate your lens choice, as was mentioned (a wise, old camera flyer once told me "You can never be too close, and you're never as close as you think"). Clips were in general too long. I started to get bored with them. Try to keep them under 6 seconds. (Americans have a way short attention span.) The opening credits were too long; I almost fell asleep. Keep at it.

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."