andy2

astra vs. cypres

Spark,
Wouldn't you have to jump out at 750 to test the Cypres under similar conditions? In other words, jumping out at 1,000 with an Astra and jumping out at 750 with a Cypres would be putting each to the same test (jumping out at their preset firing altitude). As for actually doing it, I'll leave that to you (or the base jumpers). I like at least 2,500.;)

Spark,
Wouldn't you have to jump out at 750 to test the Cypres under similar conditions? In other words, jumping out at 1,000 with an Astra and jumping out at 750 with a Cypres would be putting each to the same test (jumping out at their preset firing altitude). As for actually doing it, I'll leave that to you (or the base jumpers). I like at least 2,500.;)

I know the Cypres will not arm itself until you achieve 1,500 AGL. So, just jumping from a plane at 1,000 with a Cypres may not be testing anything other than its fire inhibit for not achieving 1,500 feet.

Chris

That is just not true!Here at Perris we have some of the best Swoopers in the world. I won't give names but I don't think any of them use an ASTRA. In fact I'd be willing to bet money that they either jump without a AAD or use a Cypres. I know the school staff use Cypres's and one of them has swooped over 300 ft. in a competion. He can get his Dytter to sound off when he is making his swoop and the Cypres doesn't fire. So much for that argument. Astra's are proven to be less reliable. Why spend your money on something less reliable, therfore less likely to save your life.
Dom

I use an Astra and I like it just fine. I hope that I never have to use it but am satisfied that it will work as advertised should I need it.

As for it getting accidentally turned off?!? My switch is under a clear plastic cover, the cover has to be lifted up to access the switch.

You can forget to turn it off at the end of the day and it will run the battery down pronto, but bet you only do this once, yeah, I speak from experience ;)

And as for having to turn it on and let it set itself up prior to every jump, I like that feature. Barometric pressure can change a lot out here (Oregon) during the day and it's nice to know that the unit is set for the current barometric pressure. (I know nothing about the Cypres's ability to compensate for pressure changes).

The FXC12000 has a bad reputation and probably deserves it. I haven't heard anything bad about the Astra tho.

And last but not least, Sunflyer777, what does my using an Astra have to do with how smart I am?!?

>I sold my Cypres and bought a new ASTRA.
>If you fly a hot canopy and hook, you need an ASTRA.

HUH? Very interesting comment:S

Any way, after seeing enough misfires of an astra, having the batteries die because you forget to turn it off, mounting the controller on the outside... etc, etc, I'll stick with the cypres.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Astra pluses:

-Cheaper maintenance cost
-Cheaper overall
-Can be turned off under canopy

Astra minuses:

-No physics-based firing model; simple pressure delta over time (i.e. more misfires)
-Requires more attention during the day
-Higher activation altitude, so more likely misfire if you pull low

Sparky,
Did you test the Cypres too? Also, why is it bad that the Astra fired when exiting at 1,000 feet AGL or less? Isn't that what it should do? Wouldn't that be similar to chopping the main at 1,000 feet and not pulling the reserve handle? I'm just trying to understand the test and why having the Astra fire is bad under those conditions. If you exit the plane at 1,000 feet, should it wait to see if you open something, or just fire and get one over your head? Remember, if you're going to go out at 1,000 feet AGL on purpose, you'd probably turn the Astra off anyway (and that's easier to do than turning off a Cypres).

It is bad because it has not built up any vertical speed.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And more often, forgetting to turn it off. The battery will be flat if you leave it on for a week or so, then the costly reserve repack + the cost of the new battery. Cypress 2 is out now, and there are other units with features the Cypress 2 didn't dream of, like the info you get off a Pro track which can be downloaded through an infra red port.

The future calls...

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Before everyone tells me that is not smart, [i.e.] to jump from 1000 ft. but I get paid very well, thank you.

huh. i jump 400ft regular,and i does it for enjoy...;)but i normaly leave my skydive gear home then:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

And as for having to turn it on and let it set itself up prior to every jump, I like that feature. Barometric pressure can change a lot out here (Oregon) during the day and it's nice to know that the unit is set for the current barometric pressure. (I know nothing about the Cypres's ability to compensate for pressure changes).

Actually the Cypres recalibrates itself after being on the ground for a period of time... that is not climbing or descending.

Okay - so my personal experience from earlier this month is below. Feel free to ask me questions for more specifics if needed... Posted as FYI.

Middle of the day Tandem jump from 18,000' (rig had been used previously during the day). Astra was turned off between jumps, I personally turned it on before getting on the plane. Uneventful skydive and landing.

I disconnected student, walked to our gear van, placed the canopy inside the van and slipped the (Eclipse) tandem rig off my back to the ground - heard a POP - and saw the reserve pilot chute.

I immediately froze and told the DZ Manager (standing next to me) that I may have accidently pulled the reserve - while both watching, I laid the rig down and saw the reserve handle still in place. When we looked at the reserve, the reserve loop was cut.

There should be absolutely NO reason this thing fired and the DZ is looking into replacing them all.

Weaves