pcalandra

New Sony DV Camcorders for 2005

Ok, for all of you who have to have the latest and greatest toys to drool over I thought I'd share this with you from CES.

SONY TURNS HEADS WITH THE STYLE AND SOPHISTICATION OF ITS 2005 LINE OF MINI DV CAMCORDERS

LAS VEGAS (CES, Booth #N109), Jan. 5, 2005 - Sony is raising eyebrows with the introduction of six new Mini DV Handycam® camcorder models. The 2005 line-up is big on performance and functionality, while still being easy to use, and a joy to behold.

For people who love to record and enjoy high-quality video, Sony loaded its new Mini DV camcorders with powerful features. One of the most exciting is the addition of the Handycam Station, a tabletop cradle that charges the camcorders and connects them conveniently to a TV or PC.

One of the models has a new imaging technology, while several of the camcorders feature improved optical zoom, along with wide LCD screens to address the growing demand for 16:9 video.

"We've studied how people use their camcorders and have incorporated this understanding into a comprehensive line of Mini DV models with the aim of making a camcorder as important an accessory as a cellular phone," said Linda Vuolo, director for camcorder products at Sony Electronics.

Highlighting the line, the DCR-PC1000 model is Sony's first consumer camcorder to feature 3-chip CMOS (complimentary metal oxide semiconductor) sensor technology with an enhanced imaging processor. CMOS sensors deliver wide dynamic range for outstanding picture quality with better lighting details on video and still images. They also require less power, providing more efficient operation.

A true enthusiast's camcorder, the DCR-PC1000 model is loaded with upgraded features for making movie masterpieces. Its cinematic mode lends a 24 frame, film-like effect to recordings while the new imaging technology adds clarity and detail. The model also has a 2.7-inch wide hybrid SwivelScreen™ touch panel LCD screen, which lets you switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios and comes with a Handycam Station for quick, easy connection to a TV or PC.

Fashion Friendly and Feature Rich

Bringing high-style to the new lineup is the DCR-PC55 model. Slightly larger than a deck of cards, as of the end of last year is the world's smallest Mini DV camcorder. But don't let its small size fool you: It still sports a huge 3-inch Hybrid SwivelScreen™ LCD.

And for the first time, Sony is offering a Handycam camcorder in four colors - silver, black, white and red - appealing to the most fashion-conscious consumer. Additionally, the DCR-PC55 camcorder features SlideShow Plus, ™ which uses the 3-inch LCD and a distinctive Handycam Station that is positioned to display desktop slideshows with the push of a button.

Get More for Less

For advanced performance with great value, the DCR-HC90 camcorder is Sony's first three-megapixel Mini DV camcorder with a recommended price under $1,000. The camcorder comes with a 2.7-inch Hybrid SwivelScreen Touch Panel LCD display to record and play back in widescreen format. Additionally, it has an intelligent accessory shoe, Super NightShot® Plus, a built-in flash and the advanced multi-layer coating of a Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar® T* lens to capture video and pictures that are more vivid and rich, even when taken in low light.

Charged Up For Convenience

Like a cellular phone or PDA cradle, the accompanying Handycam Station charges the units and connects them to a TV or PC, while keeping the camcorder easily accessible and ready to record any video moment. The Handycam Station comes fully loaded with all the necessary inputs, including S-video and an audio/video terminal for connecting the unit to a TV, as well as a USB port and an i.LINK® (IEEE1394) digital interface for connection to a compatible PC.

Rounding out the new Mini DV camcorders with Handycam Station are the DCR-HC32 and DCR-HC42 models.

New Model Pricing and Availability

· DCR-HC21 includes 20X Optical/800X Digital Zoom, the Super SteadyShot® Image Stabilization. Available in February for about $400.

· DCR-HC32 includes the above-mentioned features, Handycam Station and Memory Stick DUO™ Media slot. Available next month for about $500.

· DCR-HC42 includes the Handycam Station and Memory Stick DUO™ Media slot as well as enhanced 16:9 Wide Mode and 2.7-inch SwivelScreen hybrid LCD display. Also available next month for about $600.

· DCR-PC55 includes a Memory Stick DUO™ Media slot, Handycam Station and a 3-inch SwivelScreen hybrid LCD, Slideshow Plus capability, as well as, an automatic lens cover, and a new intelligent accessory shoe. All four colors will be available in February for about $800.

· DCR-HC90 Sports a 3 megapixel CCD for outstanding video and still performance, has a 2.7-inch wide SwivelScreen hybrid LCD, built-in flash, a Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar® T* lens and a new intelligent accessory shoe. Available in February for about $1,000.

· DCR-PC1000 includes the new 3-chip CMOS Sensor technology, a Handycam Station, a Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar® T* lens and a 2.7-inch wide Hybrid SwivelScreen LCD. Available in April for about $1,300. [Author ID1: at Thu Dec 23 14:36:00 2004 ]

Currently available models:

· DCR-VX2100, a 3-CCD Mini DV unit that is specifically designed for videographer enthusiasts and aspiring artists, with a 2.5" Precision SwivelScreen™ Hybrid LCD Display. Currently available for about $3000.

· DCR-HC1000 a 3-CCD, one-megapixel Handycam camcorder that comes with a swivel handgrip, 12X Optical/150X Digital Zoom and a Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar® T* lens. Currently available for about $1700.

:P

For people who love to record and enjoy high-quality video, Sony loaded its new Mini DV camcorders with powerful features. One of the most exciting is the addition of the Handycam Station, a tabletop cradle that charges the camcorders and connects them conveniently to a TV or PC.

And completely inconveniently for skydivers who want to exchange their footage via firewire.

nice post, you say? It's just a reprint of sony's promotional material. It's practically an advertisement.

sheesh.

nice post, you say? It's just a reprint of sony's promotional material. It's practically an advertisement.
sheesh.

maybe you missed the, "Ok, for all of you who have to have the latest and greatest toys to drool over I thought I'd share this with you from CES.":S after all he did attribute it. I think he was just trying to be helpful.:)matt

Saut, I was just trying to relay the latest news from CES to our members here, sheesh :P, it's not like I'm trying to sell anything to anyone, I just happen to have access to this information faster than most and figured I'd share it ;)

:)The Hell with information...
I can get that
at the mall :ph34r:B|;) hahahaha
How about...
FREE SAMPLES!!!!!!...??
do you have any ACCESS to those????:P...
I'll take ONE of each.......
jmy o[:-)
ps...That is a GREAT avatar you got there.... B|;)

Saut, I was just trying to relay the latest news from CES to our members here, sheesh :P, it's not like I'm trying to sell anything to anyone, I just happen to have access to this information faster than most and figured I'd share it ;)

My criticism is not of you, but of the obsequious followup.

Jimmy, sorry no free samples, only in my dreams my friend!

Saut B| thanks for the comment.....

Now, I'm curious how many of us will run out and buy some of those new toys? I'm in the market for a new camcorder myself, but have been holding out, hopefully the HC 20, 30 & 40 will go down in price!

"Now, I'm curious how many of us will run out and buy some of those new toys?"

The 55 and the 1000 both look like they will not accept screw in wide angle adaptors, from the pix I've seen of them. Shame, and apart from that I hate docking stations, they are a pain in the pooper at a busy dubbing station.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"Here, we dub straight off the AV port, not by firewire, so the dock isn't needed at all."

Your probably not getting a digital dub then Chuck, and you will suffer some image degradation via an analogue transfer. Then again, if you don't actually need a digital transfer, say for run of the mill tandems, AFF, 4 way debriefs etc, then it probably is fine.
Some events require firewire dubbing, day to day stuff its less important.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Now, I'm curious how many of us will run out and buy some of those new toys?"

"The 55 and the 1000 both look like they will not accept screw in wide angle adaptors, from the pix I've seen of them.

It looks like the 1000 has threads on the lens, not the 55 though.

Shame, and apart from that I hate docking stations, they are a pain in the pooper at a busy dubbing station.

I agree Docking stations are a pain, I dislike them as much as any product that requires you to use a remote control to access standard features.....

My bad, you are right:)I saw that funny looking arch thing at the top of the focus ring and thought 'eh-up, that doesn't look good'.
Here are some pics and a prelim spec sheet for the PC 1000.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR--PC1000--Picture-Gallery.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/specs/Sony--DCR-PC1000.htm

Looks like no LANC (control L), so no cameye, otherwise it looks like a nice piece of kit, almost sexy in a geeky sort of way.:);)
--------------------

anything built after a trv18/27 or pc9 is shit as far as i am concerned. the optics are narrower. they f**k out all the time. unless you go for the 3ccd action.
these 109's cant handle skydiving around here either both of the ones at our dz quite often will not record a landing after being put in stanby mode once freefall has finished! the poor bastards have to record thier whole canopy flight to capture the landing!
i jump a trv18e and love it. i have to use everyone elses cameras to do in flight footage and find it utterly anoying that i have to use the shitty touch screen and menus to access any faders or edit search(they don't use edit search cos it's too much of a pain in the ass, hows ya good video?) when i can do it all with the tap of a button!
all this 'progress' seems to be a step backwards to me.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

there's a simple way to get around that--go to the camera menu, and change the setting that turns off the camera after a certain period of inactivity. either that or maybe you shouldn't be messing with your camera when setting up a landing, and should either just turn it all the way off once you open (and before you touch your toggles), or leave it on.

pc109 is a great camera in my opinion, but I could be biased since I just got one for christmas.

pc109 is a great camera in my opinion, but I could be biased since I just got one for christmas.

Ooh! New toy!

I agree. The above-mentioned "bastards" would do well to read the instruction manual that came with their expensive toys.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

dude the 2 109's are not mine(wouldn't own one), and they wont record after being turned off or put on standby after a jump. no settings have been changed you don't need a manul to push record! and i'm talking about filming a tandem landing 'like professional styles' so it is very important the camera decides to work when you need it to. this has happened with both of the 109's at our dz.one guy has to film his whole canopy ride to capture the landing not too efficient with the tapes and batterys eh! i use a trv18 and a cam eye

the optics in new sonys are 'far' narrower than before, just a nother con of going smaller.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

IMO the PC108/109 will become the hot ticket items for small upright PC camera's since the release of the PC55.

It wasn't until the PC101/105 came out that we relised how good the PC9 was. This will ring true for the PC108/109

The HC21,31,41 would be my choice over the PC55 for the newer models ie. good bang for your buck and the fitting of a wide angle however the PC1000 looks the goods.

I think that the PC350 is more pleasing to the eye than the PC1000.
The lens arrangement on the PC1000 sticks out a fairway and has a large diameter (50mm I'm guessing). I would have put a 37mm filter thread on the front of the PC1000 to do away with the need for step rings with generic wide angle lenses.

I cant find any info on the PC1000 batteries yet.Has anyone what type they will run??

It seems as that Sony only gave the PC350 a 12 month run also. This may be a another camera that is worth tracking down when the run out model specials come up!!;)

Cookie
www.cookiecomposites.com

bro your helmets are the shit. when are you gonna make a top mount? my mate lost her helmet (not one of yours) when she got riser slap from her reserve the other day! bummber jump eh? i like top mounts but i like your styles. light, good good and looks good! you ever thought about making them?
B|