JayhawkJumper

Bonehead vs. Cookie Boxes

If you own either of these boxes could you answer a couple questions for me? If you have a new style bonehead box with the hinge on it, do you have to put in a tripod screw to keep the camera steady or do you just have to put it in the box and close the door. I think the more expensive molded boxes are like that so you don't have to put in a thumbscrew. Same question for cookie boxes, do they require use of a thumbscrew?

Hello!

From the home page

Key Features:
- Lightweight and strong Carbon fibre design weighing in at only 95 grams (3oz)
- Locking bungee sits into a recessed groove for added security
- Retained locking screw to suit your camera, no more lost camera screws;)
- Suits most common wide angled lenses
- Cameye friendly
- Suites camera's PC5/8/9/101/103/104/105

Cheers,

Hey...ho...let's go!

Use a thumbscrew whether it requires it or not. Your camera will experience a lot of forces trying to shake it around. If you can keep your head from jiggling, then the screw will hold the camera in place and the box will protect it from impacts. Two separate issues.
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words

After flying camera for 4 years i finally broke down and bought a bonehead d-box.

I am a little dissapointed in the fit of the new style.

I did want a piano hinge but didnt realize that the new ones are also a one-size-fits-nothing type box.

anyways i was thinking of wrapping my cam in saran wrap, placing it in the box then shooting some minimal expansion great foam in there but i am a little leary of that. if it doesnt work it's a friggin mess.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I have a bonehead d-box. The padding inside my dbox (including the section on top of the camera - the bit that hinges) makes it 'snug' enough inside the dbox that I didn't need a screw, or have to add extra padding to stop the camera moving around. After sighting in my ring sight I can take my camera in and out of the box, and it will still be lined up with minimal error.

well, i was right about the great foam idea........ it's a friggen mess.

It did'nt do anything i wanted it it to do. now i have to clean it all out... sigh.

I dont want to put a screw in to hold the camera. that defeats 60% of the reason i bought a d-box.

one thing i have noticed with the top foam and my trv11 is that it pushes my zoom button. i think trimming the foam in that area will take care of that.

perhaps using some sort of bondo like putty in just the bottom and setting my cam in till it hardens (wrapped of course) will make a solid template so i can set the cam in the same way every time. add some foam here and there for stability and i should be good to go.

Again, do not use great foam. it doesnt work.

I have a Cookie box. It comes with a captive thumb screw that works very well. Zero risk of line snag.

I put some self-stick neoprene pipe wrap material in the box to help stabilize the unit, and to allow the camera to be dropped in and threaded quickly.

I like the cookie box much better than the bonehead boxes that they are selling nowadays.

j

well, basically i wrapped my cam in saran wrap, put gaffers tape on the inside of the hinges so no foam could gum up the works, placed the cam in and closed it up using the cable.
I then sprayed some minimal expansion foam in everywhere i could stick the tube (i think it was liquid nails brand)
about 8-9 hours later i pried open the d box and wrenched my camera free.
what i found was that most of the foam expanded out the back and front. very little was in the d-box itself.

i am pretty sure i squirted the foam where it needed to go.

perhaps squirting it in the bottom half then closing the box?

i also think wax paper would be better to put the cam in as the plastic saran wrap sticks to the cured foam.

I might try it again, what the hell i've already got a friggen mess going.

it just bothers me i wasnt smart enough to realize my cam wasnt going to fit in there like they did in the old style boxes. i spent a lot of money to basically end up with somthing i could of made myself out of fiberglass.

I just figured i couldnt get as close a tolerance to my cam as bonehead could. thats what i was paying the big bucks for. their research and development. turns out i can get closer to fitting my cam than their new box. theirs just looks cooler ;)

I also dont like the way i cant reach my on/off button. i guess i can either cut a slot so i can get my finger in (but the hinge is in the way) or i can use my cam eye to turn it on and off.

i've only used my cam eye for the lights and to start/stop recording.

with the thumb screws are you threading it up from the top of your helmet?
that would mean drilling a hole through the bottom of the d-box right?

The Cookie boxes come presized for the particular camera, including the thumb screw. I believe that the newer style Bonehead boxes and brackets need to be drilled by the end user.

I'm in the process of getting the optik, and the only thing that holds me right now is the BH PC style DBox which I REALLY dont like. I dont like it's masive size, nor the fact that it's not camera specific- making it so that the camera will probably move around unless you find a way to tighten it inside.

I REALLY like the cookie box, only thing is you need to order it from Australia. I guess I'll have to wait... I'm also checking with some local shops that are willing to built custom boxes.

anyone has anything to say about the cookie boxes? any bad experience ? any good ones ?
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

Couple of photos of my Cookie Composites MXV helmet and "Blackbox". Have absolutely NO complaints. Positives: 1) Fit is perfect-contoured and comfortable. 2) D-Box is EXCELLENT. No snag points. Almost like it was made for the helmet (oh, yea, it was). 3) Easy access to rear camera controls. 4) Machine thumb-screw (permanent to D-box) holds camera securely (I like knowing even if "somehow" the hinged lid opens the camera isn't going anywhere). 5) Ratchet strap excess for chin cup recesses "inside" chincup. 6) Slight external "bulge" in shell for audible makes fit even more comfortably (no ear pinch of the audible) 7) "semi" flat top if wanting to someday mount a still camera.
Negatives....................
(No, Jason Cook of Cookie Composites is not paying for this endorsement) Well. Jason, feel free if you want!!
Overall, absolutely perfect!

. I dont like it's masive size, nor the fact that it's not camera specific- making it so that the camera will probably move around unless you find a way to tighten it inside.

It's big, but so is the camera, if you're talking about one of the PC styles that require the "Large" box. They really don'e belong on a side mount. A more apropriate side mount would be the smaller P/C styles (105, 109, 5, 9, ect.)

The D-box is great, and fits the camera very snucly when used correctly. It has the added benifit of alowing quick access to changing tapes, and batteries, something many high volume profesional camera flyers appreciate.

Bonehead makes the nicest products I've come across and used yet.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

DAMMIT....where was this when I ordered my bonehead TRV box 2 months ago??>:(>:(

Seems to be much better suited for a TRV camera, and allows full use of the LCD screen.B|

Oh well - I guess that's next on the list!!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

I just picked up my Cookie Helmet and Black Box.
The box fits great, and is a perfect match to the helmet (as you would expect).
Just have to sight it and throw mysaelf out a door with it on.:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?