Kuper

i want to buy an altimeter...

1. Did anyone hear about ST50 Altimeter or something like that?

2. the Alti3-galaxy (of Alti-2):
in the pictures it looks like it's very heavy and big and 'high from hand'.
is it?

thanx'
Ori.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

1. Did anyone hear about ST50 Altimeter or something like that?

2. the Alti3-galaxy (of Alti-2):
in the pictures it looks like it's very heavy and big and 'high from hand'.
is it?

thanx'
Ori.

I own an Alti-2 Galaxy, is thick but not THAT thick, let's say, is a Rolex on steroids, very good alti.

I also have a Galaxy, it is very nice, I'm very happy with it. Also, you can replace the lens yourself, it screws off, so when you scratch it to hell, you don't have to send it in to be rebuilt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I got a FT-50. Works great and not as expensive as alti III/galaxy. They look pretty much alike, and are probably pretty equal.

If I were to get an altimeter now, I would also considder the new Neptune from Alti, but I don't think their available yet. (just around the corner I think).

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I have an FT-50...biggest drawback is that you cannot easily replace the face. After about 20 jumps I had already managed to get some scratches on there.

For our club, I am planning on buying a Galaxy simply because you can easily replace the face and the style looks good too (very similar to the FT-50). As for price, it depends on where you look, but they are about the same.

I have an FT-50...biggest drawback is that you cannot easily replace the face. After about 20 jumps I had already managed to get some scratches on there.

Simple fix. Take a clear, plastic equipment foot (those little rubber things you put on the bottom of items to keep them from scratching a surface) and put it in the center of your alti. It's about 1/8" across, 1/16" tall and doesn't block the view. You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot.

My FT-50 has over 200 jumps and the lens is flawless. If you set it down face first, it just rolls on the clear bumper and the edges of the alti casing.

I have had two Alti-3's and both broke. My FT-50 has been to hell and back and has never failed me.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

"What ever you end up buying, get it calibrated every so often."

Whuttt?
All I do is check it against some of the other altis on the plane (including aircraft instruments) once a weekend during the climb, or if it gives me 'odd' readings at pull time I'll probably send it away. I've never had to recalibrate an alti in ten year's of jumping.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Galaxy from Alti-2.

I have 4 of them. Very solid piece of equipment.
Service from them is great.

Easy to replace lens.

They are heavier than the FT-50, but that's not a big deal.

A good product from a good company.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I just check my alti with other peoples or depending where i am sometimes the pilot.

My alti is a Ro - Saphire... i think...
Was the only alti i could buy at my club and living in Australia don't really have that many options. An alti is an alti prettymuch as long as it works :)

"What ever you end up buying, get it calibrated every so often."

Whuttt?
All I do is check it against some of the other altis on the plane (including aircraft instruments) once a weekend during the climb, or if it gives me 'odd' readings at pull time I'll probably send it away. I've never had to recalibrate an alti in ten year's of jumping.

Whatever. If you had easy access to calibrate them, who wouldn't? We have an alti rep at the dz and he calibrates them all the time.

in my DZ - the only Alti i can buy is the FT50 for 155$. is it a good price?:( or :)
on the web there a several prices for it (133$+-) , but if i'll want to order it - it'll cost me more(20$+...).
that's why i want to ask someone to buy it abroad.

does someone knows the price of FT50 or the Galaxy in the US, and to what sport store (not DZ!) i can send my friend for buying one of them?

http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

to what sport store (not DZ!) i can send my friend for buying one of them?

You won't find a "mainstream" - i.e. not on a dz - store that carries skydiving altimeters in the US. Many of the large gear dealers in the US can ship to wherever your friend will be; either you or he can order it online or over the phone.

I got my FT50 for about £62/$90, about as cheap as is possible to buy a nice alti in the UK, and its great. It has a slightly domed face (ie scratchable, so use the 'disk mod'). If the Alit2 is reasonably priced in the states (not sure where you are), go for it as it IS nicer!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I love my Robnyk Sapphire with the hand mount. I find it far more comfortable than most other altimeters with the ring going around my fingers. This one just feels like I'm wearing a glove.

I am curious about how I'll feel when I start freeflying, however, since I notice a lot of FF'ers wearing their altimeter more on the meat of their hand, rather than centered like the ro-sapphire requires.

I am curious about how I'll feel when I start freeflying, however, since I notice a lot of FF'ers wearing their altimeter more on the meat of their hand, rather than centered like the ro-sapphire requires.

Not that I freefly but for normal jumping I like to angle it forward so its kinda on the ball of my thumb but i'm thinking about getting one of those mounts that puts it on your wrist about were a watch normaly sits..