mr2mk1g

Sky Pimp Helmets

What does anyone think of the Skypimp Helmets? Whilst the website is fairly poor, their helmets look like they incorperate some nice design features and I've heard that they are very well made.

Im not sure about the right hand mounting for their camera's though, opinions? Has anyone got any first hand experiance with these helmets, their build quality or design? Im interested but its the usual skydiver problem of the product being a couple of thou miles away from the customer.

Cheers

I've got two sky pimp helmets, and I definitely recommend them. Dave does a great job and his customer service is top notch (but I think the fact that I can drive to his house whenever I want something helps). The right hand mount has never been a problem for me, I've probably put 100+ jumps in my side mount, and it's always worked great.

Blues

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

For things like tandem videos its a life saver to be able to play with the Zoom during the plane and ground stuff. Thats either done by taking the camera off the helmet or mounting it on the right.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm considering a Skypimp sidemount camera helmet, and their website is STILL under construction. Does anyone have any pictures they could post of theirs? I would particularly like to see photos of PC or HC series cameras, with the helmet open and closed. (I want to see what I can get at while the camera is still mounted) Outside shots for custom paint ideas would be great too, as the examples on the website are pretty shocking!
Thanks

hey man, some friends of mine jump them. Here is a pic of a pc style side mount with some custom graphics that were painted by someone other than skypimp. here is another pic of the same helmet.

Attached are two helmets by skypimp. The camera helmet is a pcstyle also and was painted by skypimp. The open face helmet does not have a cam mount but she has another one with a cam mount (side) for a pc style cam. Actually, all three team members each have one of each, they are sponsored by skypimp.

I can tell you that while wearing the helmet, you have access to anything that you need to turn on, hit record, and turn off the helmet. He will custom install cam-eyes, bite/blow switches etc. He does make a full face top mount helmet for a trv style and another for a pc style with more acess and space for a still mounted up front. I will try to snap some pics of all the skypimp helmets at the dz this weekend and load them here for you to see. Some of the paint jobs are freaking amazing. You might want to call the dz 512-488-2214 and leave your contact information for Dave Stanfield (he IS the skypimp) tell them you are interested in a helmet and he will probably get back to you.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I have 2 Skypimps a freefly and a top mount camera helmet. I lost my first freefly helmet and it was replaced at no cost even though it was my fault. Heres a few shots from upcoming Gravity Rats video which at some points looks like an ad for Skypimp. Note I usually have a 35 mm mounted over the logo works great for tandems although the size of the platform means you get video and 35 mm no room for anything else. Quality is top notch, I don't know about the right side mount deal but to me it doesnt seem to make a difference which side the camera is on, but again thats an issue I don't have to deal with. Lead time is probably 6-10 weeks as this is his hobby/therapy and not a full time job.

Thanks guys - keep 'em coming. I'm pretty much sold, I just need to decide if I'm going to buy a pc109, or an hc40 camera, that's why I'd like to see pictures with the side open if possible. I'm leaning toward the HC, I think there would be no need to remove the camera from the helmet to dub, whereas the 109 you'd have to pull out and put in the docking station everytime. Kind of a pain for tandem vids. BTW, Those orange helmets look wicked!

***I'm leaning toward the HC, I think there would be no need to remove the camera from the helmet to dub, whereas the 109 you'd have to pull out and put in the docking station everytime. Kind of a pain for tandem vids.

Like i said, i will try to snap some shots of some of the sidemounts this weekend. You are going to have to remove the cam in order to dub though regardless of what camera you buy. And i am not sure he has a mold yet for the hc series. I'll take some pics and post them monday or tuesday. I will try to get some with the cams in and half the clamshell off etc so you can see them.

play with the Zoom during the plane and ground stuff

I agree Phree, however; I have a FF2 and I put a finger size hole on the inside under the padding that lets me reach my W/T slide bar on my PC 330. It works just fine, the seam in the padding is at a perfect place to reach the slide bar while the camera is on.
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

And i am not sure he has a mold yet for the hc series.

He actually has the molds for the HC-20 and HC-40, and will have one for the HC-30 as soon as I drop off my camera.

What I love about these helmets is that no one will have one that looks like mine! Dave's is a totally custom operation.

I'll post a picture as soon as it's done.

play with the Zoom during the plane and ground stuff

I agree Phree, however; I have a FF2 and I put a finger size hole on the inside under the padding that lets me reach my W/T slide bar on my PC 330. It works just fine, the seam in the padding is at a perfect place to reach the slide bar while the camera is on.

But the zoom feature doesn't really work with Single element lenses anyways, so for a lot of people it's a mute point.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Doesn't it feel a litle weird with the camera on the right side?

I've never flown anything else, so, no. I can't really think of a reason to have it on one side or the other. I've got hundreds of jumps on my right side mounted sky pimp, and have never had any trouble with it.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

It's not adjustable though, is it? (As in changing the angle of the camera....)

The only camera mounts I've seen that are angle-adjustable are from SkyDance photography, and they bolt onto the Velocity helmet.

I have one on my Velocity that I barely ever use. The biggest disadvantage is that the pivot takes space, and causes the camera to stick out an inch further than if I'd used a simple 'l' braket.

That said, since I went top-mount I'm never going back...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Why would I have to demount the camera to dub? I went into a camera shop today and had a look at both the HC and PC - on the HC all of the plugs (Lanc, firewire, A/V) are on the right side. Couldn't I just flip the helmet open, plug in the cable, and use the cameras remote to dub, or am I missing something?

Why would I have to demount the camera to dub? I went into a camera shop today and had a look at both the HC and PC - on the HC all of the plugs (Lanc, firewire, A/V) are on the right side. Couldn't I just flip the helmet open, plug in the cable, and use the cameras remote to dub, or am I missing something?

If i remember correctly, the outside cover is not attached to the helmet, only held in place by the strap. Opening it up would in fact be the same as "de-mounting" the cam. I don't think there is anything holding it in other than that cover and strap. Professor, Snowflake, 78Rats, help me out on this:S
By the way, weather sucked so no jumps this past weekend, i am going tomorrow though weather permitting. I will still take some shots of them for you.B|

You are correct in the fact that the camera angle cannot be adjusted - it is molded into the helmet and cannot be changed easily ( I say easily because Mr Pimp is a master of the fiberglass and can cut and change the angle)
Other side mount cameras can be changed by redrilling and remounting the box the holds the camera which brings up another point - if you camera becomes obsolete and breaks the new one will not fit the camera housing and the helmet has to be sent back to have a new mount molded.

The skypimp top mount helmets are light weight and awesome with rear entry to put it on your head.

Dave is a great helmet builder, does awesome work with bad ass paint jobs - you really cant go wrong with his product -- just have things like camera angle and such worked out before ordering so you can have it built your way.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid