skybytch

new Aerodyne canopies

Will post their impressions of the flight and landing as soon as I hear 'em.

Okay, got some feedback. This jumper's last 300 jumps have been on a Sabre2 150; he jumped our Pilot 150 demo. He liked the Pilot's openings better than his Sabre2's openings. He felt that the Pilot was a bit less sensitive/zippy than the Sabre2, and it was very easy to get a good landing out of.

C'mon, Carolyn, get that 168 demo here so I can jump it! ;)

He liked the Pilot's openings better than his Sabre2's openings.

Really? :o

Does he have one of the first generation Sabre2s with the squirrly openings? My experience with Sabre2s has been that they have really nice openings, almost as good as a Spectre.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Gelvenor is widely accepted to be the most durable fabric used in paraglider construction.

While paragliders are not subject to opening shock, they operate in a much harsher uv and dusty environment than the average skydiving canopy.

So even if PD claims to use a better fabric, Gelvenor is still an excellent material.

>Gelvenor is widely accepted to be the most durable fabric used in
>paraglider construction.

>While paragliders are not subject to opening shock, they operate in a
> much harsher uv and dusty environment than the average skydiving
> canopy.

However, they are not packed. Packing causes most of the damage to carefully-maintained canopies (i.e. reserves, even ZP topskin reserves.)

I've donr my last 15 or so jumps on the pilot 150. It is very comparable to the Saber 2. Yes the openings are very much like the Sabre 2. It is a little less responsive using toggles, but the riser pressure is a lot less then the Sabre 2. Spend one whole day doing hop and pops with it, and most of those landings where downwind in about 5-8 mph winds. It was alot of fun. Got some nice swoops and very soft touch downs. It actually packed easier then the Sabre 2. I got hold of it when it had only a few jumps on it. I have to say Lisa is right about the colors. They are not like everyone elses. It is actually a darker yellow then a reserve, and the purple is just that pruple. If it wa mine I would shorten the bake lines a bit. Since I get to jump it for free I won't complain. All around it is a very nice canopy, and the price is right. We do have a 168 Lisa. It's just in Eloy right now.
Dom

:)Many of the fabrics have a common basis, and the last 5 years have seen a tremendous improvement in quality. Naturally the mfg's themselves must ensure certain standards from their suppliers. But you get a generally better and more reliable product from all suppliers these days.;)

If you could, you would make sure that the needles used to sew canopies, get changed every 50 bobbins or better!!! Now you are talking about standards. But then mfg's have figured that out as well.

>All fabrics used in skydiving get "packed"

Yes. Sorry, I must have been unclear above - paraglider wings do not get packed, and thus their longevity may have nothing to do with the longevity of fabrics used for skydiving.

Thanks for posting your impressions of the PIlot. I always enjoy hearing jumper's feedback on our products. The overall feedback on the Pilot has been incredibly positive and we are very pleased.

As much as we are confident upon completion of a development project like the Pilot, Vision, Amax, etc., the most important thing is the customer's feedback once they are out being jumped.

I am confident our Vision and Amax will also be well received. Those that got their orders in early for Visions should start to see them arrive next week and early Amax orders should begin shipping in two to three weeks.

Enjoy.

Blue skies,
Ian Bellis
President
Aerodyne Research Corporation

Hi everyone
only 25 jumps and I had the opportunity to fly the aerodyne pilot 150.(1 canopy for belgium!)
Felt scary 'cause I only flew the canopys from the club. Fury 220sq/ft's!
I must say everything just turned out fine.
I had a little luck for my first jump 'cause there was a little upwind for me to slow down.
I have 28 jumps now; aff included and I'm totally addicted to that canopy. That's the reason for buying it. (fitted in a sunrise "wings"harness).
Maybe I should jump other canopies to see if they suit me better but this wing has it all for me.
It's gonna be a fine summer here in Belgium!!!
:)

All of our skydiving canopies are manufactured in S. Africa at Aerodyne Systems (formerly PISA). This has been the location where all of our Triathlons and DIablos have been manufactured for many years.

Our Mauritian facility is dedicated to paraglider production at this time.

Blue skies,

Ian Bellis
President
Aerodyne Research Corporation

Don't be sad... - if you do get a new canopy, I would imagine that a Sabre2 or a Pilot would make for a better investment, and thus higher resale value :)
Try looking for used canopies as well - the classifieds here on dropzone.com have helped many canopies on their way to new owners - and then there are many good gearstores that offer used equipment as well as new stuff.

Bloooos!
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Call Ralph!? You must not like that guy. Call somebody, anybody but Ralph. I have just started jumping the Vision 132 loaded at about 1.7 or 1.8. I have had fun with it so far. I think it is a very nice canopy for somebody as their first elliptical. The openings have been ok so far. A few that where not hard at all just "brisk". Played around with a few different pack jobs and it seems that splitting the nose is the trick. Nice and on heading. Very responsive with the toggles and very forgiveing on the risers for final. It has a very fast recovery arch to it. Which is helpful if you find yourself coming out of a turn a little too low. I put 7 jumps on it this weekend in fairly high winds on Saturday (the students had been grounded). Then on Sunday jumped it in almost no winds and swopped it about half the distance of the landing area at Perris with only a 90 degree front riser turn started at about 500 ft or so. It shut down real nice (only a few steps to run it out). It handled well in the bumps at higher altitudes and got me back from a long spot in half brakes. If you can get your hands one one give it a try if you are looking into going elliptical for the first time.
Dom

Considering you work for PD... that was a damn fine post!

Makes me feel good when gear manufacturers don't run down their competition. You get no taller cutting others off at the knees, eh? (But I am a PD snob..;))

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Sure I've seen this question on the forums before - but anyway here goes.

I jump currently jump a PISA Heatwave 150 / LW 1.26

Our club had a demo Pilot 170 and a Vision 150, I only did three jumps on the Pilot, so my assessment is not great, the canopy opened like a dream, soft, consistent and on-heading. With good toggle response and light riser pressure, I found the canopy to be responsive to input and even on a 170 the landing on a no wind day was quick.
Could be the best canopy I have jumped in a while (was on a PISA Hornet 170 before my Heatwave)

The Vision 150 - The opening was as smooth and on-heading as the Pilot with a smooth transition from deployment to flight. The toggles pressure was light with a good response, the canopy had no over steer, and leveled quite nicely. The thing I like the most was the light riser pressure, and responsiveness thereof.

On both the Pilot & Vision I exited last and the spot was deep, and with little or no input was able to make it back to the DZ with enough time to set up my landing.

Our National 4-Way Team have been sponsored new Aerodyne Canopies, two member of the team have been Sabre 135 Boys for years, and are now without a doubt 100% behind the new Pilot, good all round canopy. The other two members were flying either Heatwave or Hurricanes, and now jump the Vision 135 and have had nothing but good reviews.

So. if you looking for a new TOY look at the new Aerodyne Canopies - it will be my next choice.

Well Done Aerodyne

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.