skybytch

new Aerodyne canopies

We got our beer Aerodyne Pilot 150 demo at work last week. Noticed a few things while we were checking it out.

First off, they did a nice job on the packaging! The canopy comes in a box with skydiving pictures on all four sides.

Next, the material. It's the same basic stuff used by PD and Icarus - i.e. it's slippery. All new Aerodyne canopies are built from this material - including the Triathlon.

And third - colors. We ordered neon yellow and neon purple on the demo. We got what we'd call yellow (like on a reserve) and magenta. Don't assume that Aerodyne's colors are going to match any other companies; check out color samples before you order if color matching is important to you.

Hopefully someone from work jumped it this weekend. Will post their impressions of the flight and landing as soon as I hear 'em. :)

The container is almost like an Atom from PdF. The Atom is a solid container form every thing I've seen and read. Most the canopies are based off Pisa designs so reviews of those will be close to the Aerodyne canopies.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Have you had a chance to look at their new container?

The container isn't available for order yet; they're waiting for the TSO paperwork from the FAA. I've only seen pictures.

I flying a Diablo 135 right now and am going to be considering a new canopy in the next few months

If you'll be looking at the same class canopy, check out the Vision. If you'll be looking to step up to a swoop monster, check out the Amax.

If you haven't been there yet, check out their website.

Next, the material. It's the same basic stuff used by PD and Icarus - i.e. it's slippery. All new Aerodyne canopies are built from this material - including the Triathlon.

As a Triathlon user that really enjoys it's fabric I am very sorry to hear that the new Tris lost this by no means minor asset. Does anybody have any idea why? It really did make a difference, particularly for sloppy packers like myself.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Just wondering if there is any specific info on the new canopies they are producing? I went on their website, but could not find specific info on the individual canopies?

I currently jump a Tri and was wanting to check out a Diablo - so my biggest question is if they are going to have a 7 cell tapered canopy.

It really is too bad about the material - that is part of the reason I love the Triathalon so much!

Cheers!:)NED

I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

so my biggest question is if they are going to have a 7 cell tapered canopy.

Nope. Not yet anyway. The main canopies they have now are the Triathlon (same airfoil, different material), the Pilot (semi-elliptical 9 cell), the Vision (elliptical 9 cell), and the Amax (compare to Extreme/Velocity).

They are using "Blue" fabric now.

Tests done by PD showed that the 'south african' fabric that the Tri used to use wore out more quickly than PD's fabric.

it should be noted that this info should be taken with the knowledge that PD is a competitor and there for will try to make all other products other than there's to be sub standard...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Something I noticed on their website regarding the Smart reserve was this statement: "The Smart is manufactured under the strict ISO 9001 quality control system." I am very familiar with ISO 9001; it is neither strict, nor is it a quality control system. A very misleading statement.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Amax (compare to Extreme/Velocity).

i was under the impression that the amax was between the stilleto/vision area and crossed braced. like the crossfire 2.

why was i under this impression, the guy who designed it told me ;). they may be selling it as that on the site, but it's not. when i asked him if he thought i should get it, he told me straight out it would not be able to swoop as far a vx for velocity.

but i expect something really cool from them soon (in a year or so).

later

Hi SM.

Galvanor used a silicone coating on their fabric. I live and work in SA and don't know of a single canopy that makes it to reline. Sabres have made it to 1000's of dives and multiple relines. My Stilletto 107 is due for its 2nd reline.

I suspect PD is correct.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Galvanor used a silicone coating on their fabric. I live and work in SA and don't know of a single canopy that makes it to reline. Sabres have made it to 1000's of dives and multiple relines. My Stilletto 107 is due for its 2nd reline.

after jumping in FL for quite a bit I saw several Hornet's, Heatwaves, Diablo's, and Triathlons with well over a thousand jumps and some on there 3rd and 4th reline...I think that how you take care of your equipment also plays into a great deal of what PD talks about.

If I were to take a PD product and leave it in the sun often, bash it about on the ground(packing on not so friendly area's) and what have you....it wouldn't last long eather...

just food for thought.....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

But PD is not the maker of the Fabric. They choose which materials are going to last the longest and give the most superior performance. If they did testing with Gelvanor material to see how it holds up versus what performance textiles produces and they came to the conclusion that Gelvanor was an inferior product I would believe them. The times I have been in there I have seen them running tests on fabric in their little rotating machine.

Something to think about.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Hi Keith -

We're trying to get ISO 9001 up in our company. If it's not about quality - what is it about?

t

I'm actually doing a paper on ISO standards, here s an exceprt from it :

"The Standards: Many of the ISO standards are specific to a particular product, material, or process however two of the most popular ISO standards created, the ISO 9000 and the ISO 14000, are far more general and focus on generic management system standards. The two standards have both a set of common characteristics and a set of distinctive characteristics for each. "

I have owned 7 canopies with the Gelvenor fabric, and currently own 4. One of my Cobalts currently has over 1000 jumps and it still flies like the day it was new. The fabric still looks great, with no fading or "worn-out" appearance. I have seen people jumping both Cobalts and Diablos with well over 2000 jumps, and they still fly like new. I wouldn't take PD's claims with a grain of salt. It's no different than all of the TV commericals that say their tests show their products are the best. How is it that every laundry detergent commericial shows tests that their detergents clean better and protect colors than all of the other major brands? I think PD just wants to sell more canopies by saying that theirs last longer.

It's about processes and procedures. The idea is if your processes and procedures are well documented then quality benefits. The focus of ISO 9001 is customer satisfaction. PM me if you want more info.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Most canopies are never flown untill they are worn out. Most any kind of ZP material will last over a thousand jumps. I think PD may be right about their fabric lasting longer, but that does not mean that Gelvenor fabric will not last over a thousand jumps. I do not think this will come into play for most people since so few people jump their canopies untill they wear out.