vidiot

Canon announces EOS 300D

Just announced this morning in Germany: DSLR, 6MP, interchangeable 18-55mm Lens (29-88mm equiv.), EF lenses can be uesed, 2.5 pics/s (up to 4), remote release, 560g excl. lens. Suggested retail price € 1199,- (~$1.300) incl. lens.

More infos here: http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eosdigital/index.html, here: http://www.canon.de/presse/infos/fot/eos300d/$u and here: http://www.digitalkamera.de/Kameras/CanonEOS300D.asp.

Guess, I'll cancel my order for the Minolta A1...
My Logbook

Any word on a US release? And how comparable is it to the 10D. I looked around and there is a lot of rumors about a new camera to replace the d60 somewhere better than the 10D but priced similar.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I have never used an Olympus so I can't offer a fair opinion . I only use a Canon 10d a 1ds and a Mamiya 645afd with a leaf back .

Do youy know any actual write speeds for this camera?
I know it depends a bit on which card you use, but I'm looking for a more general idea of it's write speed... I looked on the website and didn't find specifications on this.
I have the E20n and it's too slow for skydiving...

-drew

Yes the write speed sucks. It is designed for the consumer market. Its part of the rebel line. They want to keep the price down and decent fps for film or digital is saved for the more advance cameras in their line.

A good photographer does not realy on the motordrive. And these digital cameras are forcing you to do this. One day you'll fill up the 25 gig card with photos from exit to opening at 10fps.

Reality is 3fps which is slow and burst of 8-9 or so. You can lay on the shutter and fill up the cache. But that might get you a second or two later when you really need the frames.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

Reading through all the specs though, it looks like it is getting close to the Elan 7e right?
I know a lot of people jump the rebel 2000 as their still camera, that camera has 1.5fps!

It would still be a major upgrade for those people (me included)

Iwan

I have never used an Olympus so I can't offer a fair opinion . I only use a Canon 10d a 1ds and a Mamiya 645afd with a leaf back .

Do youy know any actual write speeds for this camera?
I know it depends a bit on which card you use, but I'm looking for a more general idea of it's write speed... I looked on the website and didn't find specifications on this.
I have the E20n and it's too slow for skydiving...

-drew

I do not know what the specs are on write speed . Every time I wanred to take a shot it would say busy in the viewfinder and that is not what I want to see . There has been one or two times that I have got a busy from my 10d or 1ds , and the faster the card in them the faster I can shoot . Card speed had no effect in the 300d as it was slow even with a 45x card .

A better photographer knows how to utilize the motor drive, but does not realy on it to get the shot in a folly of frames being ripped off.

have to agree with Freaky here...come try and take good stills of a fencing bout without a motordrive...you simply arent fast enough...

This is getting farther from the topic but let me use this example to make my point

Btw I very happy with the D60 and would like 5 fps with a 30 shot buffer but,

Do you all know the shot of Ali standing over I believe Sonny Liston seconds after he knocked hime down. Ali looms over him and pounds his chest. The shot a triumpent sports moment captured in a split second. Literly that. The ironic thing is there were photogs all around the ring and in the news reel clip there is only one still photo flash. The reason why. In the great shot all the photogs in the back round are changing flash, winding film or standing around with there thumb up there ass. Not antipating the moment.

I'm photojournalist by trade, antipation and prepartion are the hallmark of a good pj who consitently brings home the shots. Yes we shoot mile of film or now gigs of images but the best ones are not from a series of a fast motor drive, but from being in the right place at the right time.

1 second is a long time. 3fps is only 1/300th of that and when you slow down with write speeds and buffers that is slower than film 3fps. just because we can fill a 1 gig card with shots dosen't mean there is a reason to be shooting the entire jump.

I've found the 8 shot buffer is forcing me to be more selective of when I shoot things making me a better photog and bring home more prime shots with the digital camera.

Attached is the Ali picture by Neil Leifer and one I got from the WFFC. And mine wasn't because of the motordrive.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

true (and farther off topic)

i completely agree about being 'in the moment' but you will still miss high speed close in actions without a mechanical assist. Boxing is another great example, the Ali shot wasnt exactly 'time critical' as it was a relatively slow, gloating action….now try to catch the instant his glove makes contact with his opponents face with only the twitch of his shoulder (if that) to signal the start of the punch..sure its been done, but how many times was it missed before the one 'good' shot?

absolutely you have to be there and ready to capture the moment but the millisecond of time where some actions occur is near impossible to catch consistently with motor drives, at Olympic/professional levels getting that instant of contact for example before the parry knocks the blade aside is largely luck..the skill is being in the right place and ready to shoot, even if you take 9 shots to get the one your really after...

its all a matter of the right tools for the right task..

that WFFC photo is awesome...