Deuce

7 vs. 9 cell and wingloading for video

OK, I jump a Spectre 170 loaded at 1.26. The videographers that shoot tandems at my DZ are all jumping small ellipticals A) cause they can and B) because they like to get down quickly so they can set up to shoot the landings of their customers. Where is the trade-off between high performance and easy-neck openings? What are you guys jumping at what loadings?

We got videographers at my DZ shooting everything between Spectre's at 1.25:1 to Velocity 79's at 1.8ish:1. Its all about what you are comfortable with. I've seen even large stuff like Sharpchutes get jumped in a pinch. If your not ready for the canopy... don't get it to jump it.
Personally.. I've started shooting 4 way and big way second camera and I like my moderatly loaded 1.25:1 Cobalt canopy. The openings are great and its zippy enough for my low experience.
Drop the tube...DROP the tube...

Yup to what phree said, if you are jumping camera, and its heavy,try something slow opening, like a Spectre, or Stilletto, the latter being the most common I've seen regular (ie full time camera peeps jumping).
But its all about what you jump.
Me?, I don't jump a particularly heavy setup, and use a spectre loaded at about 1.6
"I might bend my hat in the process, but I'd still teach that guy a lesson or two" David Lund......

Jump a Spectre-135 at 1.35:1 today.
Jumped a Diablo-120 for over a year (400+ jumps) loaded at 1.5:1 and loved the openings, canopy flying, and landings. Just didn't like the time it spun me up and had to chop. (right around the time Jan 'Devil' Davis spun up and caught her camera helmet). Shook us all, so went with something a little more docile after that.
ltdiver

Above all I would say it just needs to be a canopy that you are VERY comfortable with. I know I can't look up at my canopy as much as I could before I put a camera on my head. So, I like to be able to "feel" the deployment and be pretty sure it's OK until I can look up and check it out. If I don't know the canopy I'll leave my camera on the ground until I get 10-15 jumps on it and feel really comfotable with it.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

I put about 160 jumps on a stiletto 135 then demo'd a crossfire 119 and was sold. It is one of the gentlest opening canopies I have jumped. The small eliptical thing is not to get down faster to set up the landing shot. Hell you can beat a tandem that opens at 5,500 down with just about anything. I open at 3,000 and can get down in plenty of time on the old triathalon 160 I used to use (another great, soft opener). I jump a small eliptical when I shoot because I am super current and love the ride. I did a jump on a borrowed rig the other day when I was shithouse busy (the aformentioned triatholon 160) and thought the canopy ride was just plain boring.
Drewfus McDoofus

I jump a fairly heavy helmet (video, 35mm, and digital still + flash) and I jump a Crossfire @ 1.9 or a Velocity @ 2.1... I realize my loading are probably to the high end for camera but both canopies work great for me...nice openings, and you can feel what's going on with them.
I also only jump my canopies when doing camera, I won't borrow one just to make a load... you really need to know that canopy over your head... I've done it before and all worked out fine (except a spin so violent that it broke my still mount), but was not comfortable at all.
I know others that jump camera @ 2.3 on a daily basis.
http://www.aerialfusion.com

I have two FX99s. I load them at 2.4 to 1. I am very into high performance landings. The best canopy I have ever jumped for video is a Crossfire. I am sonsidering going back to Crossfire2s as I am looking at switching to a heavier camera setup.
William

I have to agree with the majority. I have been shooting tandem video for a little over four years now and not only from my own experiences with canopies but watching others as well.
It makes no difference in my opinion of what you fly, just make sure you are familiar with it. I jump a VX 79 @ 2.4 and a Xaos 84 @ 2.2.
Any canopy can smack you if packed wrong and any canopy can snivel if packed right. Even if you have to install a pocket or dome slider. Its just a roll of the dice.
Big Wayz and Blu Skyz
Bryan