GQ_jumper

Which team from the US will win the Malevsky meet

This is a reply to the whole thread not just the last post...

At the moment Fire are in the voting lead....But really folks...as a team they have NO experience on the world stage...teams (and individuals) crack under real pressure...That's what makes Airspeed the winners... (for more than just the odd season).

So I vote odyssey.x

do not even consider the possibility on non US team taking the first place?

Let's be realistic - there are only three teams at Malevsky (except for the US four) which may post above 20:
1. Sinapsi (but they won't receive medals since Pete can not officially compete for Italy for at least this year, they will jump as a guest team).
2. Russia (which I doubt)
3. Belgium

At the moment Fire are in the voting lead....But really folks...as a team they have NO experience on the world stage...teams (and individuals) crack under real pressure...That's what makes Airspeed the winners... (for more than just the odd season).

Fire has spanked the Knights once.

Garry, Shannon, Ian are not new to anything. And Andy and Brain have never been to the world meet either, nor medaled in 4way open at nationals, much less won.

So I don't see how you can claim Airspeed is better set up for this? Unless you think Natasha will freak...I know her, I don't think she will.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I just think they are training in an environment with more seasoned (and more consistently successful) world competitors. I also think the new Airspeed guys have been selected for the team based on the evaluation of those seasoned world champions that they will be able to hack it. Fire didn't beat the Knights at a world level (did they? was it an NSL thing?), the pressure is not the same. But I guess that's why competition is so much more exciting at that level, the pressure is that much more, no-one really knows what they can do until they get there. It will definitely be something to watch and root for all the new guys, just being there is quite an incredible achievement.

But I hope that explains my vote.:)

Fire didn't beat the Knights at a world level (did they? was it an NSL thing?), the pressure is not the same.

And the Knights have had some changes on their team as well. Not having Chris Talbert on the team anymore probably made for some change in their performance. I believe two other positions on the team are new as well. I'm not saying they won't be the same but I'm sure they will have some kinks to work out.

You said: "as a team they have NO experience on the world stage".

Fire:
Garry is the current World Champion.
Shannon and Ian have done 20's years ago, and as a team Fire has already done a 20.

Airspeed no doubt is a class act.

Airspeed Odyssey:
Andy Delk, never been to the WM. But has posted a 20 already.
Craig Girard, a Legend former GK with tons of EXP.
Brian Johnson, never been, posted a 20 already.
Eliana Rodriguez, Never been for 4way at this level, but clearly no slouch already a World Champion in 8way.

AS Velocity:
Andy Honigbaum, never been for 4way
Neal Houston, Again Legend.
Dennis Rook, never been for 4way
Kirk Verner, Original AS member from 1994. Maybe one of the most experienced jumpers around.

I don't see any line up that has much more experience than the others.

Now why did I choose Fire? Well I don't see much of a line up difference where one has that much more than another.

But AS is also training 8way. Fire is only doing 4way.

Plus, I have known Shannon and Ian since I started jumping. I did a team with Brian Johnson, and I consider him a friend, but Natasha is cuter than Brian.:P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I cannot wait to see what happens to this thread when they start posting the first scores

chaos will ensue!! and i will be at the center of all of it instigating the whole thing

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

One thing to add is that even though the members of Fire do have a lot of experience, they don't have experience at this level of competition TOGETHER. This is the first time their team dynamics will be tested at the world level. And even though Airspeed does have 2 new members the rest of the team went through this together last year in the 8 way event. I think that may play a big role in how they are able to pull through the added stress as a team.

just my opinion;)
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

there are as many members of fire that have competed together on a world level as there are members of odyssey that have. shannon and ian are teammates from, what i consider to be, one of the best gel-ing teams ever. genesis/blue had an incredible magic that i haven't really seen duplicated.

eliana and craig competed on a world level together doing 8-way.

kirk, neal, dennis and andy all competed together on a world level but doing 8-way.

bottom line is that all 3 teams are outstanding, all are solid, and all of them hold each of the other teams in very high regard. i don't see any of them getting too stressed over anything. ;)

when they all give their personal best, the win will be secondary. ;)

all i can say is that russia is gonna see some of the best skydiving EVER. good luck and best of meet to each of the teams competing. good times and enjoy the ride. ;)

Nicely put, Arlo. I don't see an edge in experience in the teams' rosters. Confusing the longevity of the legacy when compared to the specific team lineups is a normal mistake.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Dom you forgot to notice that decimal, that's a 2.2 average and a 20 point loss not lead:P i know sometimes the edge of the little 8ball thingy gets kinda blurry. i once got kill and kick mixed up on the magic 8 ball(good story), it happens!!:P
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

but Natasha is cuter than Brian

Aha! Now we get down to it! I will also abandon my attempt at rationalising my vote (at least we tried, right? And it's only a guess, after all...but it does make it all so much funner) and say that I think Eliana is cuter than the lot of them. I stand by my vote, may the hottest team win!
:P

This thing is becoming Bonfire material now. Definitely lost its focus.

Maybe we should put up a poll on who wants matchmaking done/on the new tatoo/for favorite sexual position/for women 4way jumpers that are treated special just because they are doing 20 averages?

Hmmmm

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Definitely lost its focus

It seems that all the valid points have already been discussed and considering the meet still days away there is nowhere left for this thread to go but downhill!!! Maybe I posted it a little too soon:$sorry everyone.

PS Go Airspeed!!

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Maybe we should put up a poll on who wants matchmaking done/on the new tatoo/for favorite sexual position/for women 4way jumpers that are treated special just because they are doing 20 averages?

OK cool!!!!

This thing is becoming Bonfire material now. Definitely lost its focus

Edit: Besides with the line ups of the two AS teams, and Fire.....Who the hell can really guess who will win?

I have ALWAYS wanted to be the guy that made something get moved *TO* BF.:D

I have ALWAYS wanted to be the guy that made something get moved *TO* BF.:D

shhh - don't jinx it

On May 21st they did a 16.3.

Fastrax did score a 16.3, but you have to remember that meet was not out of an Otter, it was out of a CASA and all most all the teams at that meet were figuring out tailgate exits all day and it was clearly hurting almost all the teams.

*Video for Team Old, Cold and Grumpy
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com