Deuce

Do you have a "slow" suit and a "fast" suit?

I do quite a bit of 4 to 10 way, and my regular RW suit works fine.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Dropzone_Gatherings/2003_Perris_Memorial_Day/mcGowan&image=0924-8%20by.jpg&img=&tt=

That's me in the middle (yeah, we planned that point that way:S)

Anyhow, I was doing bigger stuff with Roger Ponce at the American Boogie, and it was really tough staying at that slow fall rate, like 110 or so. I went all the way low later on, and couldn't get back in. Two weeks earlier I was fine on 30+ ways, but that group was really, really big on a fast fall rate.

So, for bigger stuff do you use a baggy suit? I'm thinking about the Tony Suit, I like the Pit Special I have and my Camera Suit.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Maybe Kate Cooper will chime in here at some point, but I could swear I remember her always talking about dressing for success.

To me that implies that a really successful "big-way" jumper will always have as big of a bag of tricks as possible. For the feather weights, that means lead and for us bigger guys that's going to probably mean a selection of jumpsuits with various amounts of drag.

As a camera flyer, I'm almost certain you're aware of how important having a wide range of speeds at your disposal is.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have several suits...

Fast RW
Slow RW
Fast FF
Slow FF
Camera Suit w/ wide range
and have evan used the RW suits for video when necessary...

Evaluate the dive you are going and dress accordingly.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Dressing for success is VITAL. As an AFF-I I'm changing suits constantly. I get more wear and tear from taking them off and putting them back on than from jumping. I think the hard part of it is is lokking at a person or a formation or the people in the formation and deciding if they are going to go slow or fast. It can be decieving. Look at Billy Rhodes. He's not the skinney-est guy in world, but that dude can float.... Drag can be your friend in bigways if your in the outside, but it will be your enemy towards the center or the base. It will make you fight it, and tire you out during the jump making it less fun. That's all I have to say about that.

To me that implies that a really successful "big-way" jumper will always have as big of a bag of tricks as possible. For the feather weights, that means lead and for us bigger guys that's going to probably mean a selection of jumpsuits with various amounts of drag.

I have three RW suits, two pairs of sleeves and 12 pounds of lead. The suits range from screaming fast to outside-of-a-30 way slow without the sleeves. With my slowest suit and biggest sleeves I can comfortably be on the outside of a 40 way. With my fastest suit and 11 pounds I was comfortable in the base with Dan BC (118 mph avg TAS on my ProTrack).

Next purchase will be an even slower suit. I'm thinking something along the lines of a FliteSuit or Tony Suit.

Part of the fun of bigger jumps is trying to figure out during the dirt dive which of combination of suit/sleeves/weight will be best for your slot and how fast you think the formation will fall. Someday I hope to be able to choose correctly before the first jump instead of after it. :D

I have three different suits. 2 of them for RW (fast RW suit is a Body Sport, slower suit is a Dive Rite)and a set of gaters for the extra cheat if I am in between the two suits so I can go with the faster suit but with the extra cheat.

Use the third suit for Tandem, FF and camera.....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I have three RW suits - I use all three for different things....and a weight belt - that I am constantly adding to or taking away from.....and let's not forget the trusty t-shirt......;)

Indeed - a tee shirt is a lot cheaper than a new jumpsuit, and very effective.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have a slow suit, that's all I really need since I can slow WAY down in it, but going fast is very very easy for me.

So far I've been able to pop up and get under 110mph with my suit, I'm able to hold and fly in the 112mph range, but I can still do 150mph with out problem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dress for success.

I've done some big stuff, but find that AFF stretches my range to the max. I have a slow suit, for the 100lb students, and a fast "four way" suit (without grips) for the 220lb students. Some stuff in between too.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Agreed with what has been said already. The bag-o-tricks is impertant especialy when you don't know what to expect. For the last bigway I was on in FL , I took my fast BodySuit and slow FliteSuit, BrandiBelt swoopcords, slip-on arms, a Flite Suit Top for slow flight. I was going prepared to have to fall slow you can see. But I also played it safe and brought my weights too. I'm glad I didbecaus for the entire event I wore my fastest suit AND 6-8lbs of weight, and I almost NEVER have to wear weight.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Whoa! Thanks for that! That base must have been HAULING!

OK, I'm gonna order the slow suit this weekend, and I'll be calling you, JP, about weights.

It would NEVER have occurred to me that I would need weights on a fast suit.

Thanks, all.

I have a great suit for big ways. It's a bodysport with swoop cords, and has a cotton front with spandex forearms. It's very lightweight and the legs are big enough to pull on over shoes. It's got a great range, and with sleeves and the swoop cords I can stay with the slowest of Roger Ponce dives. Without either one it's fine for 8-way.

I have three suits, but they all fit the same. The suits are just different colors.
Depending on where I'm at in a big way, depends on how much weight I wear. Most times I'm on the outside wacker and don't wear weights. Even being on the outside of 100 plus ways I don't need to wear sleeves or a t-shirt.
Doing four way with the guys that I do it with, I wear about 18 pounds of weight.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have three suits, but they all fit the same. The suits are just different colors.
Depending on where I'm at in a big way, depends on how much weight I wear. Most times I'm on the outside wacker and don't wear weights. Even being on the outside of 100 plus ways I don't need to wear sleeves or a t-shirt.
Doing four way with the guys that I do it with, I wear about 18 pounds of weight.

I too have 3 fast suits. I usually wear 8 - 10 pounds of lead, but didn't wear any for last weekend's jumps at Cross Keys where I was on the outside like you. OTOH I was on the outside of the 120 way at ZHills last Easter, and wore 8 pounds of lead on that one.

I was on the outside of the 120 way at ZHills last Easter, and wore 8 pounds of lead on that one.

I too was on the outside and didn't have to wear weights. I guess I'm more of a fat ass than you:D
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I was on the outside of the 120 way at ZHills last Easter, and wore 8 pounds of lead on that one.

I too was on the outside and didn't have to wear weights. I guess I'm more of a fat ass than you:D

If you say so;)

I ordered the Tony Suit without the forearm grippers, Mega booties, and full swoop cords, in polycotton, the second-slowest fabric. (The denim stuff really seemed like overkill)

Hopefully it will work for stuff around 95-110. My Pitt Special is better for 115+.

I'm wondering if my Camera Suit flying is spoiling me. Not having that camera wing to cheat my way back up just sucks sometimesB|.