gus

The importance of geeking the camera

So, after freeflying probably 90 out of my last 100 jumps I got dragged on to an organised 12 way flat yesterday and (shock horror!) it was quite fun! :)There were 3 of us who hadn't done much rw recently and I'm glad we were there. Without us I'm not sure anyone would have smiled or, more importantly, geeked the camera. Some people need to remind themselves why they skydive - to have fun!
I was one of the last divers, swooped down (a little too enthusiastically) into my slot and then sat there waiting for everyone else. After a few thousand feet of not much activity something bad happened - I noticed the cameraman was in prime position to be geeked. It's like the law or something and I like to think of myself as a law abiding citizen so I duly obliged, much to the displeasure of the load organiser :P.
Anyway it all went to crap (not my fault I must add) but we went again and actually built the first point!
Lessons learned: (1) If you're going to swoop hell for leather take off your blinkers. (2) Big ways can be fun!
Gus
"Sex? Once every six seconds. Skydiving? Five times, every six seconds."

Whooo, boys boys.
I geek the camera too when I can. Now, if we are cranking point after point, then - Of Course, Im concentrating and don't even know the camera is there. But if I were docked and waiting for others and saw the cameraman, I'd geek (although you wouldn't be able to see my :P with my full face on). Some people swoop past the cameraman and wave, I kick my feet sometimes to geek. It's all good...
....Feel the love.......
Fly Your Slot !

quade makes good points... I wouldn't geek on an "important" skydive. Although I couldn't resist doing it once when exiting the plane during one of Kate and Tony's dive/float camps. It was float day and the camera guy was hanging front float catching our exits. I came out of the plane perfect, head up, looking straight at him so I threw him some tongue. Tony asked me later at the debrief if I meant to do that - I kinda mumbled an "ummmm". Was pretty stoked when Tony said "well if you did, that was really cool" :)pull & flare,
lisa

Bottom line is, geek all you want, but you better be able to handle it!
A couple of pretty good 4way team members decided to "extend" their swoop on a formation load at a boogie last year. The slowly walked off the plane... one 1 of the 2 made it, and that was just as breakoff was signalled (after waiting for ever for them).... hehehe.... it was all on video... hehehe.. the beer was good....
Remster
Muff 914

>Can you explain why sticking the tongue out and looking like the village idiot
>seems to be required behavior when freefliers geek?
Since more than 50% of freeflyers have cameras, geeking and looking good on camera are required skills.
-bill von

<<<>Can you explain why sticking the tongue out and looking like the village idiot
>seems to be required behavior when freefliers geek?
Since more than 50% of freeflyers have cameras, geeking and looking good on camera are required skills.>>>
Bill,
Are you suggesting that looking like the village idiot is looking good for a freeflier?

>Are you suggesting that looking like the village idiot is looking good for a freeflier?
Don't forget, these are the same people who wear clown suits, pierce their eyelids for effect and dye their hair blue. Are they going to look that much sillier no matter what they do in freefall?
Also, don't forget, a lot of RW types look pretty silly, walking around with baseball bat sized grippers all over their legs and booties on their feet. Neither group has a monopoly on looking either cool or foolish.
-bill von

All these points about safety and concentration are true, even I might manage to not geek the camera if I was concentrating on some hardcore rw. Not that I'm capable of hardcore rw!

Can you explain why sticking the tongue out and looking like the village idiot seems to be required behavior when freefliers geek?

Apart from the fact that your facial expression allows you to 'geek' without mucking up your body position, sticking the tongue out and looking like the village idiot is just plain funny. :P
I jump camera and I make a point of encouraging people to geek it, infact if they don't I'll want to know why. :)Gus
"Sex? Once every six seconds. Skydiving? Five times, every six seconds."

>>>>Don't forget, these are the same people who wear clown suits, pierce their eyelids for effect and dye their hair blue. Are they going to look that much sillier no matter what they do in freefall?
Also, don't forget, a lot of RW types look pretty silly, walking around with baseball bat sized grippers all over their legs and booties on their feet. Neither group has a monopoly on looking either cool or foolish.
<<<<
"Form follows function" (Mies van der Rohe or some other Bauhaus luminary) could excuse the grippers. What function is served that requires looking demented?

Its a form of self expression.... kinda like wearing tall white socks and Teva's.....:D
I'm starting to notice some wild RW suits coming out. Tye-dyed, dayglo colors, stuff like that.... I think that a plain jump suit is demented myself.... :)"Hey.. Its my camera, and my remote... I'll rewind if I want to!" ~ Goat #2

Yeah - what she said...
Some ppl are _sooooo_ serious.... When i RW - i do the turning points thing... I have even had occaision where 2 of us on a 4 way RW jump were waiting on the other 2 to get in. The video guy has swooped us, which kinda invited a geek from us too. I geek when I freefly too - oh -and i have even been told (by a freeflier) that i am the smiley-est jumper he has seen.
Heheheheh - i love skydiving - whatever it is

Cameras must be geeked, its da law! ;), I particularly enjoy geeking other peoples loads when they are in the door in front of me, hahahaha......I've seen some internationally respected people (names witheld for blackmail purposes) geeking on national and world record attempts, its just fun, but as said here the top end is the place for it.
Cya
D

I agree with the geeking at the first half of the dive. My geeking for the last 3000 ft was totally planned with saftey in mind. ON a 2 way with Canopycuddler at the Mardi Gras boogie, The plan was to for the camra man to come in about 7K at that time we would geek the camera till about 4k then CC would dump in place to film the opening.. Everything was done right and about 5k i started to track away from CC so she would have plenty of room to dump. I had my audilble set high so we would have plenty of time to seperate. It wa a blast ...
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can you explain why sticking the tongue out and looking like the village idiot seems to be required behavior when freefliers geek?

The village idiot is usually the happiest in the village, he enjoys himself with no awareness of how silly he may look and so doesn't care, he has no high objective to fail, and no-one else has any for him either so he never fails theirs. He is often centre of attention and enjoys it, again unaware of the intentions, good or bad, of the others. How good must be the life of the village idiot ;)

Damn, I need to relax, wheres a camera :ph34r:
Rich M