BobL

Safire2 or Sabre2, ?? which to buy

The transition to a SabreII would be easier. As far as which is "best", that's your decision. Demo them both many times. Never get in a rush to buy gear, it usually causes regrets.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Definately demo them. I had an original Safire and loved the way it flew, just hated the landings. I'll be demoing a Safire2 in the spring and if the flare point has truly been fixed, i'm buying one. I'm currently jumping a Sabre2 and like it, but i do miss flying a Safire.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Demo them both many times. Never get in a rush to buy gear, it usually causes regrets.

That's the best advice you'll ever get about choosing a canopy. Others can tell you what they like or dislike about a canopy but you're the one who's going to be dropping $1300+ on it. Best way to determine which one you prefer is to jump everything you're interested in before you hand over the numbers on your credit card.

demo a cobalt too.

jumped side by side with saf2 and sabre2 you will find that a cobalt has a significantly better glide ratio, more flare, is very stable and safer with regards to higher speed deployments.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I am flying a Safire (original) and have had no problems what-so-ever landing the canopy. I was a little anxious on my first jump with it having heard all the stories about "Safires are soooo hard to land blah blah blah." If you fly the canopy throughout the entire landing, feeling what it is doing and reacting to it rather than just saying "I'm at XXX feet, stab the toggles" the canopy (any canopy for that matter) will treat you much better in the landing department. Do a search for the posts that Billvon (??) made about flying your canopy throughout the landing, it is explained very well in there. Definately demo both of those canopies though. Just my unqualified opinion.

Austin

Both are similar canopies - fairly high performance semi-ellipticals. I have a modified Safire 1, and the mod (hook did it actually) makes it land pretty nicely. Used ones are becoming available, if you want to jump it for a short time before trading down again. There are places like Perris where you can demo them both.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Why don't you try a different type of canopy rather than downsize? I tried flying a Spectre-190 for a while, and then I moved to a Crossfire-189. Hey, a whole lot more performance while still having lots of canopy over my head for those straight in landings. I'd never go back to a seven cell canopy unless I had back problems.

Why don't you try a different type of canopy rather than downsize?

You made the same mistake I did. He is flying a Sabre 190 now, the Sabre 2 and Safire2 are diffrent canopies. Because of their planform (both are semi-ellpiticals, tapered trailing edges) they are higher perfomance that the original Sabre. I think either oneof those canopies would be a good next step. I personally like the Safire2, but I haven't flown a Sabre2 yet. I have heard good things about them, though. Best advice is to demo.

Hook

At 100 jumps it should'nt really play a factor into canopy choice. at 500 jumps its a different matter, but at 100 jumps you should be putting more time into accuracy, landing crosswind, downwind, mastering brake turns and flare turns then you should be about swooping.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

These two canopies tend to flatten out to a level glide too soon following a riser turn. Why bother downsizing for this kind of flight characteristic?

Because not everyone wants to hook?

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

At 100 jumps it should'nt really play a factor into canopy choice. at 500 jumps its a different matter, but at 100 jumps you should be putting more time into accuracy, landing crosswind, downwind, mastering brake turns and flare turns then you should be about swooping.

I think you are right. However, downsizing a canopy's area isn't going to help much for these slower speed manuevers either. It's easy to get bored under these canopies, so without downsizing, it is possible to get a canopy that is a blast to fly at altitude while still being big enough for a slow straight in landing.

He is flying a Sabre 190 now, the Sabre 2 and Safire2 are diffrent canopies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These two canopies tend to flatten out to a level glide too soon following a riser turn. Why bother downsizing for this kind of flight characteristic?

They do have longer recovery arcs than the Sabre he is currently flying. They are definately a step "up" in performance. It is the logical progression, square, semi-elliptical, fully elliptical. Even if he gets the same size he is currently jumping, he would experience better openings and more performance. Adding in a down-size would result in a very noticeable increase in speed, etc. Smaller doesn't = better, elliptical not does = better. It all depends on what the pilot is looking for.

Hook