mujie96

Triathlon???

I'm about to start looking for a smaller canopy but I expect to take some time to pick one. While I am demo whoring, I want to replace my Sabre 150 with a 135 square canopy-I got spoiled on about 40 jumps on a Sabre2 135 and a Spectre 135 in Eloy, and I find it way more responsive and actually easier to land. (I'm barely 140 out the door).
First, I want to know if the Spectre really does fly so differently than my Sabre, or was it just the difference in wing loading that made it feel better? Would a comparably sized Sabre feel the same?

Secondly, as I do seem to have developed a taste for a nice, long Spectre opening how does the Triathlon compare? I only ask because they do seem a bit cheaper used. I'm mainly concerned with how it turns, dives, and getting a little surf out of it on landing.
Blue skies!
Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

never flown a tri, but spectre certainly has different flying and landing characteristics. i found the spectre to have a much for forgiving flare but did spend a lot of time on the rear risers being last out.
namaste, motherfucker.

After meeting you, talking to you, etc at Eloy, I honestly think that you'd be happier with a Sabre2 then anything else. If you're dead set on getting a 7-cell canopy, I'd highly recommend a Spectre, its a GREAT canopy. The Tri? Hmmmm, how to put this nicely...I hate those canopies, they *were* ok canopies, but there are much better canopies on the market now days for your average jumper.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave, dave, dave, of course I want a Sabre2 but I'm going to wait and jump the demo 120 before I buy it. This is only to keep me in the air until then, especially seeing as PD doesn't want to answer my demo request.

Jess

Both Spectres and Triathalons are good canopies. Triathalons have a bit more of a reputation for the bigger sizes to have occasional hard openings - I never had a problem with mine however. The Triathalon lands well, but the Spectre's a little bit forgiving I'd say. The Spectre will turn slightly faster as well because its tapered. Both work well for CRW.

All in all I think the Spectre's a slightly better canopy. I still love my Triathalon though.

W

Tri's are a good utility canopy that are known for good openings and all round reliability. If you are looking for a more spirited 7 cell you might want to demo a Diablo. The Diablo out performs the Spectre. (I have jumper both) I would recommend a Hornet over the Sabre II because of cost and history of excellent performance. Demo ..demo...before you decide. And good luck!!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I agree with Dave on this Jess. Plus you'll take it in the pants if you ever decide to try and sell a used spectre. The sabre2 will be your best bet in the long run and even have some resale value when you decide to downsize.

Did you see the other threads yet? I may have found you a guy in Cali that likes Hawaii enought that maybe you two can do a house swap so you can get your jumping in. Of course my invite here remains open too.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm about to start looking for a smaller canopy but I expect to take some time to pick one.

I hope you dont mind me asking, but why do you want to downsize?

Are you exceding the performance of your current canopy?

I notice from your profile that you have 125 jumps, is that correct or just out of date.

I wouldn't recomend downsizing if you only have 125 jumps. You are currently loading your canopy at 1.1 which is conservative, and will give you a little more reaction time if you need it.

Downsizing to a 135 will give you a wing loading of .96, and a 120 = .86.

As you down size things happen much quicker, turns are faster and you will loose height quicker, giving you less time to deal with any problems.

This isn't restricted to canopy flight. Twists, a brake fire or line over will all become more severe as you downsize, turning a nuisance into a mal

I would suggest you speak to the instructors/DZO at your DZ and get some unbiased advice from the poeple who know how you handle your canopy.

If you have already then ignore the above.

To put it into a bit of perspective 2 people I knew died last year under fast canopies which they weren't overloading, one had 500 jumps the other over 3000.

I dont want to see every body flying Manta's but I dont want to see people dying because no one tried to make them wait a little and gain more experience.

Dont be in a rush to go small.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Tri's are a good utility canopy that are known for good openings and all round reliability. If you are looking for a more spirited 7 cell you might want to demo a Diablo. The Diablo out performs the Spectre. (I have jumper both) I would recommend a Hornet over the Sabre II because of cost and history of excellent performance. Demo ..demo...before you decide. And good luck!!

i think margie at square 2 has some diablos she is practically giving away. give her a call and tell her i sent ya.
namaste, motherfucker.

Downsizing to a 135 will give you a wing loading of .96, and a 120 = .86.

I think you need to recheck those figures ;)

Doh

Thanks, I proof read that post twice as well.

The correct figures are:-

150 = .93 ppsf
135 = 1.04 ppsf
120 = 1.17 ppsf

My comments still stand.

As to canopy choice, I have jumped both Tri and Spectre. If you want a canopy that packs easy go for the Tri, they use a real nice ZP. Also the Tri will give you a 1000ft opening if you roll the nose. Nice if you want a soft opening, not to cool if your jumpiing into a demo at 1500ft:(

The Spectre is what you would expect from a PD canopy, I dont think resale would be to bad for the PD canopy but it may be for the tri.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

It's all good, both dave, Sky and myself have seen Mujie fly her canopy, she isn't getting in over her head by going down. I think she will agree with me that once she went to the 135 she showed back up at the tent with more smiles on her face than before:D

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The Tri will snivel if you under load it. At least mine did. It is a very stable canopy. You won't get much surf out of it and I would tend to think a Spectre would outperform it all around at the same loading. I've only jumped a Spectre once.
JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

she isn't getting in over her head by going down

I just realized that sounds kind of funny but in some weird way I know Mujie will like the thought of it.won't ya girl?;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

150 = .93 ppsf
135 = 1.04 ppsf
120 = 1.17 ppsf

Absolutely completely acceptable wingload for mujie96's experience. I would not consider that unreasonable in any way. The good part about having a little bit of wingload is the parachute will respond and will probablly be eaier to fly and land. (I just re-read the original post it seems you already feel that way)

mujie96 I don't know how you fly but I would consider that a saber2 of either size you would make you happy. Why leave the fun to some one who weighs more than you. It's TIME!...

I'm not a big fan of the tri but for a demo? I'd use one. You can backspin the Heck out of those. :)

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

A triathlon opens and flies very similarly to a spectre.

Except for the nicer openings without having to pack a certain way, and the faster turns you'll get under a Spectre. It's all in the shape - Tri's are rectangular, Spectres are (marketing jargon alert!) "tapered" or "semi-elliptical."

I'm mainly concerned with how it turns, dives, and getting a little surf out of it on landing.

You can get "a little surf" out of nearly any modern canopy at a 1.1 wingloading if you really fly it. My Spectre loaded at 1.0-1.1 turns pretty quick and the few times I've done front riser turns with it, it dove pretty quick too.

If turns, dives and surf are your main considerations though, I'd suggest a nine cell (i.e. Sabre2 or Safire2 if you want resale value, a Hornet if you want a lower price for new).

I have a 150, I am loading it at under 1. I get way better response from a 135 and have an easier time landing it and turning it than a 150. I'm actually a little irritated with myself for listening to everyone who kept telling me I would damage myself under anything smaller, because the 150 was a waste of money.
As for canopy control, I have landed the 135 upwind, downwind and crosswind. I can fly it in brakes, do braked approaches and turns. The only thing I don't do is high performance landings, but I'm also not doing those under ANY canopy yet.
I understand that many people feel that a larger canopy is way safer and I respect that opinion. I personally like the way something a little smaller flies, so that is what I am going to invest my money and time in.
I am a very safety conscious skydiver and even though I will nonetheless incur the wrath of someone by saying this, I feel that I have a pretty good grasp of where my canopy control skills stand.
Finally, the downsizing is at the recommendations of several of my instructors who have WAY more experience than me.
Thanks for your opinion.
Jess

It's all good, both dave, Sky and myself have seen Mujie fly her canopy, she isn't getting in over her head by going down. I think she will agree with me that once she went to the 135 she showed back up at the tent with more smiles on her face than before:D

mujie is a very conservative canopy pilot, often choosing the relative safety of trees over boogie crowded landing areas!:P

seriously, she shows much more common sense and ability than i, and the windloading in question is well within reason.
namaste, motherfucker.

Nicely put.

Larger is not always better. Too small is obviously not the best either. I was happy to read your thoughts about that. I'm against downsizing to fast but you sound as if you are not even close to that category. A reasonable wingload will allow you to fly the parachute as it was designed to. The wingloading you are trying to achieve is in definatley Reasonable. You've stated that it was fun, easier to fly and land. Not once did you mention that it turned to fast and was scary. It sounds like you'll have a much nicer time on the smaller Sabre2.

Cheers
Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've jumped the Spectre and Triathlon, prefer the Triathlon, they are both good canopies. You can't loose either way.
The Spectre is a little more fun to fly because of it's quicker turns. PD's ZP material is slicker than snot on a doorknob though, especially when it's new, a total bitch to pack.
The Triathlon is rock solid in turbulence and flies good. They pack the easiest of any ZP out there, even brand new.
My only problem with the Tri is the occasional hard opening. I blew up a Tri 220 several years ago, I believe it was my sloppy packing and not the canopy. I haven't had anything close since, just a nice 500-750 foot snivel everytime.
Aerodyne has great customer service and they are very helpful. The Diablo is a cool canopy but, I think it's a little squirrly for your experience level. IMHO

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I demo'd both a Tri 135 and a Spectre 135, at about a 1:1 loading. I found both to open softly; the Tri opening was too slow for my liking until I changed the way I packed it (didn't roll the nose at all, just stuffed it gently). Very similar characteristics, ditto what's been said here re: slightly more responsive turns on the Spectre. I found front riser input to be noticably easier (less pressure required) on the Spectre, though. I preferred the landings on the Tri but I think that was because it was more like my current square PD 7-cell. Also I was less current when I demo'd the Spectre, and the wind conditions were more challenging for me, and I blew my landings just fine on my own -- the canopy just did what I told it to. (Decided to stick with my 150 for a while longer.)

--Scratch

>Plus you'll take it in the pants if you ever decide to try and sell a used spectre.

The Spectre 150/135 are among the most wanted used canopies at Perris since they are used so often as transition canopies. At least in Socal, spectres are very easy to sell and hold their value well. (I spent a month or so trying to find a used one; they were hot items.)