taz9420

Opinion: Best Overall Container (Durability/Comfort/Dependablity, Overall Appearance, etc...)

I do have to say that my reserve pilot chute lauches farther than any of the other ones that Derek packs. Every packjob we have the person (or me if they just dropped it off) stand at the patio door (facing the door ofcourse ;)) and pull the ripcord Derek stands in the kitchen and "catches" the pilot chute. Everytime mine gets to bridle strech before it starts heading for the floor. Only other container that did that was my reflex. The others don't make it to bridle strech and he has to run and catch them before the pilot chute hits the floor.

Derek has a micron, and while everything about it is as good as the mirage he wishes he could get a mirage reserve pilotchute for it (he isn't real keen on the meshless thing). Well that and they made a smaller main container. :P

The only other container I've seen that looked good from the outside to me was the talon FS. One hasn't come threw for a repack yet so I can't say anything about the reserve, but I'm 99% sure it's the same as the talon 2.

Of course my requirements for a container are an unexposed pilot chute, main pin protection like the above containers have, seconday riser covers (although I don't think the FS has them), "bullet proof" reserve pin protection. and integrated main bridle protection (sorry but jav's still looks like an after thought). I also really like how the main side flaps wrap around the bottom of the container keeping everything inside. On larger Jav's I've seen them not fit quite right and the main lines are coming out the side/bottom.

Of course this is my opinion, so YMMV. B|

Fly it like you stole it!

Yep he has a V304, but he has already made up his mind to get a mirage. They already make the MZS, and there are several other things about mine he likes better than his.

He was going to buy one in Eloy from the swiss team, but after they lied to him about jumps on it (told him there were ~10 and it was obvious there were ~200) he didn't want to deal with them.

what for example makes mirage g4 not 100% perfect? Is there anything, except for the price ?

Have they started making molar bags for it yet?

Yes,
"Inside the reserve, the G4 adds a Parapak molar bag for ease and consistency of packing. The G4 retains the well-respected Mirage reserve pilot chute."
Quote from Mirages website.

About time B|
---
Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers

what for example makes mirage g4 not 100% perfect? Is there anything, except for the price ?

One question about Mirage, There is a huge question on the integrity of the company. I dont know if this has been addressed yet, but the (Older) cutaway housing's had a flaw. Big enough for Mirage to change the design, but there is still a lot of rig's out there with the old design.
There was a fatality in europe a while back, and it was reported, that the housing was the cause. Test's were planned but Mirage cancelled them. If there is any question true or false, why didn't they do the test? If anything they could have proven the housings weren't bad. Also if the housing's arent Flawed then why the design change?
Here is the Flaw: The old Mirage cutaway housing's are cast, then they are drilled. This creates a 90 Degree angle on the hole, and then a sharp edge.
This can catch and even cut into, your soft plastic cover on your cutaway cable, and make it impossible to cutaway. The jumper that died in Europe, turned his cutaway pillow inside out, trying to cutaway.
The housing's are MIl spec (also questionable) but that specification was designed and tested with 380+ square foot canopies. Not for the High wingloading that jumpers of today are using.
So the question is, do you want to jump a rig from a manufacturer, that has a potential problem with their system, and fails to address it. At least Precision addressed their problem, and let everyone know that for a fee they will fix their flawed design.

Also on another previous post, someone stated that they wanted a mirage reserve pilot chute, because their Vector chute wasn't as strong. Relative Workshop and Mirage both use the same exact spring on their reserve pilot chute. So doing this would do nothing.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

As you said, they have changed it. I would guess partly because of customer demand. I'm sure you can easily have the older type exchanged for a fee if you feel the need for it.
Still it is an interesting observation, don't know how the reasoning went at Mirage when it happened.

Also on another previous post, someone stated that they wanted a mirage reserve pilot chute, because their Vector chute wasn't as strong. Relative Workshop and Mirage both use the same exact spring on their reserve pilot chute. So doing this would do nothing.

No they don't...

Vector uses a meshless pilotchute, and mirage uses one with mesh. That is the reason for the desire of a mirage pilotchute I said nothing about the strength for that.

here is the exact quote

Derek has a micron, and while everything about it is as good as the mirage he wishes he could get a mirage reserve pilotchute for it (he isn't real keen on the meshless thing). Well that and they made a smaller main container

One question about Mirage, There is a huge question on the integrity of the company.[

Many of the previous statements by Rdutch are misleading. Whether this was intentional or not, they may cause jumpers to be concerned.

If ANYONE has a concern about a Mirage Systems product's feature or design please feel free to contact their technical and/or design department. They are the best source for Mirage information.

Mirage Technical department [email protected]
(386)740-9222 ask for the technical department.

One question about Mirage, There is a huge question on the integrity of the company.[

Many of the previous statements by Rdutch are misleading. Whether this was intentional or not, they may cause jumpers to be concerned.

If ANYONE has a concern about a Mirage Systems product's feature or design please feel free to contact their technical and/or design department. They are the best source for Mirage information.

Mirage Technical department [email protected]
(386)740-9222 ask for the technical department.

Misleading or not?
It wasn't intentional to mislead anyone, I was just expressing something I have heard about many time's.
Feel free to disagree with my post but I ask that if you do, to back up your disagreement.
I dont work for mirage, and I dont know your reasoning's, but I think the skydiving community, especially Mirage owner's with the older housing's should know if their is a potential problem with their gear. And if their isn't a problem then here is where you can set the record straight on what happened.

Ray

No they don't...

Vector uses a meshless pilotchute, and mirage uses one with mesh. That is the reason for the desire of a mirage pilotchute I said nothing about the strength for that.

here is the exact quote

Derek has a micron, and while everything about it is as good as the mirage he wishes he could get a mirage reserve pilotchute for it (he isn't real keen on the meshless thing). Well that and they made a smaller main container

I believe the quote he's referring to is:

I do have to say that my reserve pilot chute lauches farther than any of the other ones that Derek packs. Every packjob we have the person (or me if they just dropped it off) stand at the patio door (facing the door ofcourse [Wink] ) and pull the ripcord Derek stands in the kitchen and "catches" the pilot chute. Everytime mine gets to bridle strech before it starts heading for the floor. Only other container that did that was my reflex. The others don't make it to bridle strech and he has to run and catch them before the pilot chute hits the floor.

---
Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers

>Here is the Flaw: The old Mirage cutaway housing's are cast, then
> they are drilled. This creates a 90 Degree angle on the hole, and
> then a sharp edge.

>This can catch and even cut into, your soft plastic cover on your
> cutaway cable, and make it impossible to cutaway. The jumper that
> died in Europe, turned his cutaway pillow inside out, trying to
> cutaway.

Did you see this incident, or any of the gear involved, or have you seen a mirage where this caused a problem?

No problem with posting a potential gear problem, I just wanted to see if this was firsthand or thirdhand info.

I didn't see the actual equipment. It was in Italy. The guy's name was Magoo, I believe he was a teammate with Ippo or just a good friend.
But I have seen this simulated and it does happen.
I am not saying that Mirage's are bad rig's It is just some information I came across. Unisyn could easily deny this and explain what happened, and why It's wrong/right information.
Question? is it wrong to let people know about a potential problem that could hurt/kill them?

Ray

Question? is it wrong to let people know about a potential problem that could hurt/kill them?

A quick look at ww.skydivingfatalities.info indicates the cause of this specific fatality to be inconclusive at most, but speculation is that it is likely related to a misrouted 3-rings.

Unless I had factual evidence, I would not be slamming a company over something that I've "heard", when published reports offer a very different explanation.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>But I have seen this simulated and it does happen.

How was it simulated? What were the results of the simulation?

>Question? is it wrong to let people know about a potential problem
>that could hurt/kill them?

Not at all; I think that's the purpose of this forum. I just wanted to clear up whether it was firsthand or thirdhand info. I've also heard about this problem thirdhand, but usually I don't post such things unless I either see it or talk to someone I trust who did see it. I've gotten burned before when I mentioned something I heard in passing and gotten a reply like "that was me it happened to, and you don't know what you're talking about."

The housing's are MIl spec (also questionable) but that specification was designed and tested with 380+ square foot canopies. Not for the High wingloading that jumpers of today are using.

then that makes every other rig on the market in suspect also. The new(er) Mirage hardware is excellent, better than on other rigs I have seen (I can't comment on the older designs as I have not looked at them closely). Mil specification is exactly that, anyone can purchase to a MILitary specification, it is a design spec for that particular piece of hardware.

If you haven't seen it, only *heard* about it, I suggest you state it as such.

His name was Mauro "Mago" Tannino (mah-go) and was an incredible flyer. Below is a farewell previously posted here, written by Stefania.
-Rap

Remembering Mago - The Magician of Rome

Posted Sunday, September 10, 2000
For all who know Mago,
This Sunday we will remember Mago in our hearts

We'll Fly at sunset thinking of your Dream, the dream of Flight, Pure Human Flight, which is also our dream in which we truly believe, instinctively.

We'll think of the Dream of the Flying Crew, your Dream, our Dream. We'll think of the beautiful energy that you brought to us, like Magic, and you still bring to us. We'll keep your Dream Alive. This is our commitment.
Thank you with all our heart for everything you did for us as a group and you will do for us as a group.

You are in a new dimension now and can see and feel things far beyond our own perceptions. Right now you Are, you truly Are.

We miss you a fucking Lots MAGICIAN OF ROME in the Air and on the ground! There's a phrase that I was reading in a book, for coincidence, or not, right the day before you Flew a away in your new dimension. It is from The Book : The Vision Quest from Thomas Brown, even if the phrase comes from Marcus Aurelius: "Man should fear not dying, what man should fear is Not Having Lived at All."

You lived your life at the fullest and always being true with yourself, always bringing Good Energy, never giving a chance to the bad energy to be fed upon bad feelings or week feeling of your own or the others around. Foreseeing much deeper into Reality and the Future and of course the Past, always seeing people for what They Really Where, without being driven out of track by the appearance or by the outside stories.... your reaction to this instead have been feeding us the Dream of Flight with your Art, your Music Art, your Flying Art your Video Art.

In this you've been a great teacher as you you will always be.
Ciao Magico ! You are Strong !

Stefania and the 1st School of Modern Skyflying, The Freefly Circus, The Flying Crew

Love you for ever ! Keep the Dream
Rise to the Top to The Top !

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italian freefly champion Mauro "Mago" Tannino died at Ravenna in Italy on August 12th. He was filming a student when he expereiced a mulfunction. Unable to cut away he deployed his reserve and died on impact under resulting the main-reserve entanglement.