bmcd308

How about full face helmets?

Lots of recommendations on open face helmets in the other helmet threads.

Any opinions out there on full face helmets?

Specific questions - what is the difference between a Havok and a Boomerang? Can either be jettisoned quickly if I may want to stick on a camera?

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

A Havok is basically a Mindwarp with a HUGE front cover that flips up/flips down. I tend to think of "Dark Helmet" from Spaceballs every time I see one (which is very rarely, they're not very popular).

A boomerang is a single piece fullface with a much smaller profile, but the visor is either on or off, it doesn't flip up, a lot of people use the boomerang without the visor, just for the jaw protection. I've seen a few boomerangs with D-boxs on the side without problem, they'll also accept the top-mount platform for the Mindwarp without problem. I bet you could toss the boomerang realitively easily, but not real quickly.

Neither have chin-cups, so for serious camera work, they'll suck, but for vid of you and your buds jumping, it'll be fine.

Hit Bonehead's site for pics and stuff...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I got a full face (Z1) primarily for the jaw protection. I think that full face are noticably quieter, but there's always ear plugs. A nice thing about full face is that you'll feel warmer jumping in the winter. But your visor can fog over, so RainX it at the start of each jumping day.
My other ride is the relative wind.

I have jumped a Havok for about a year now. I had a Z1 before that. The entire front of the Havok folds up, so your face, mouth and chin are completely free. This is an advantage for people who wear glasses (I hated hasseling with glasses on my Z1) and for people who need to communicate in the airplane before exit (i.e. jumpmasters and instructors). I don't view a Havok as a good camera helmet, but then I'm not a camera flyer. If I didn't wear glasses I'd go back to a Z1 or try a similar full-face helmet.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I got a full face (Z1) primarily for the jaw protection. I think that full face are noticably quieter, but there's always ear plugs. A nice thing about full face is that you'll feel warmer jumping in the winter. But your visor can fog over, so RainX it at the start of each jumping day.

I have a Z1 with about 5 jumps on it....it whistles/screams so loudly I keep thinking the hounds of hell are after me. Have yet to find the cause though...I'm guessing it's the face shield. Tried the boomerang last summer and if you have a small head don't bother the shell is HUGE, my motorcycle helmet is smaller I swear.
Fly it like you stole it!

You didn't list it, but I have a Skysystems Oxygn.

It's great.

I was looking at a Z1, but I have seen to many pop up in freefall.

The Z1 is some say easier to open and close, but that is possibly the reason that they pop up on accident.

I don't usually open my Oxygn unless the visor gets fogged.
But I got my first full face at 100 jumps (Arrow head) because Ilost a contact on 2 different jumps, and before LASIK I was BLIND. I had it for around 200 jumps. Then I bought a Factory Diver and had it for 2,000 jumps.

I just went to the Oxygn to have the ability to flip up the visor when it fogs....

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't like using a full face very much, since I enjoy wind in my face blah blah blah. However, I do recommend a Z1.

My story (from me being a klutz) on why I recommend it:
We were doing an 8-way or so out of an Otter. The count "Ready, Set..." and I bashed my Z1 right into the bar. (Some said I was lucky for wearing the helmet, however I would've seen the bar if I wasn't wearing it.) After hitting the bar hard (it "bounced" me back a foot or so in the plane), the only things wrong with my Z1 are two cracks down the visor (which I don't notice in freefall) and a small scratch where I hit my head just above the visor. It also must've absorbed some impact since I think I only had a small unnnoticeable (except when I pointed it out) bruise.

Another thing, I know Jumperpaula has had problems with them coming off of her in freefall, but mine has always stayed secure even though I have a S head and am using the L lining.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I have a Z1 with about 5 jumps on it....it whistles/screams so loudly I keep thinking the hounds of hell are after me. Have yet to find the cause though...I'm guessing it's the face shield.

Whoohoo, someone else experienced that whistling problem! I demoed a Z1 from the Sunshine Factory about 2 months ago and during the entire freefall there was this loud high-pitched whistling. (very distracting and annoying!) When I landed I joined the group and said "How the hell do people stand that loud whistling noise???" Everyone looked at me strangely.

Well, anyhow, it turns out it was an old style Z1. On the old style, the visor sticks out on the sides a little, allowing air through...thus whistling. I looked at their new Z1's and the visor section is flush with the sides of the helmet, and viola, no whistling! So I bought the newer style Z1 and I love it. And no issues (so far?) with it coming open or fogging. Nice and quiet too...screw the whole wind against my face thing, it's cold! (for FL) :)
How long have you had your Z1? Maybe it's the older style? I'm not sure how long ago they changed the design.

blues,
Heather

Man, my wife and I both have been jumping a Z1 for over 2 years now and I've never heard any whistling noise... and she's never complained about it either. I have one of the older designs and she has a new one. *shrug* And, the only 2 times it's come open in Freefall were simply because it was already open (I forgot to close it... Doh!). I'd recommend one, the only complaints I have are 1.) if you use the inside dytter pocket it will allow your dytter/pro-track to fall out, when you have the helmet off ,once the pocket has been 'broken in' (however, sewing a small piece of velcro to it solved that prob), and 2.) you can't put a camera on it (that I'm aware of anyway). Other than that it's been the perfect helmet for me.

Blues!

Merrick

I have a Z1 which I wore for 3 years with little problem. Then I won an OXYGN in a raffle. The OXYGN is more comfortable IMO, and has better peripheral vision, especially down (I have a hard time seeing my handles with the Z1 but not with the OXYGN). I mostly wear the OXYGN now.

PS if you want to tint the face shield, RIT fabric dye works very well.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was looking at a Z1, but I have seen to many pop up in freefall.

The Z1 is some say easier to open and close, but that is possibly the reason that they pop up on accident.

That's one gripe I have on the Z-1. It's not yet happened and I hope it doesn't. Last week, on jump run, I felt the right plastic screw thingy start to come off. I just pushed it back hoping for the best:).

I think I'll check it at the start of each jump day. Thanks for point the pop off tendency.
My other ride is the relative wind.

.. the only complaints I have are .. 2.) you can't put a camera on it (that I'm aware of anyway).

One of the better Teuge, NL cameramen has modified a blue Z1 to hold a camera. Replaced one of the visor screws and has the camera mounted on the side that way. It can be done.

But I haven't seen him lately and when I last saw him, he didn't have all that much experience with it yet.
Johan.
I am. I think.

heather,

I have a new one...it was ordered like 3 months ago for someone who never showed back up at the DZ to pay for it, so I got it cheep....we have been thinking of sending it back since I have some down time with my broken wrist. Maybe it just needs a new/different visor.
Fly it like you stole it!