CornishChris

Hornet SA or UK

I am looking to possibly pick up a new rig from PISA (Hornet & Tempo in a Teardrop) and have been in discussions with them in South Africa. They recommended going to one of their UK dealers (Thomas Sports) instead of buying it direct from them. Obviously that puts another link in the chain.

My question is, therefore - what are the advantages of both options? Has anyone bought a full rig from PISA direct and if so did they get stung on tax bringing it back into the UK (or US)? Will it be cheaper to buy direct?

I am hooking up with the guy from Thomas Sports at the BPA AGM in two weeks and would like to have as much info as possible prior to then.

Any help would, as ever, be gratefully received.

Cheers

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

And, more importantly, the PISA Teardrops do not have their TSO rating yet. I'm quoting the following from a PISA employee (taken from the PISA site's forum) :

The PISA manufactured Teardrop holds the ZA TSO C23(d) rating, whereas the TSE Teardrop holds an FAA TSO rating. Our Teardrops are manufactured to TSE plans and templates and the same processes are used, but because they are made in a different factory, we have to fully re-TSO the rig from our side for the FAA rating. This is a long and involved process which we are doing, and will hopefully be completed soon.

If you intend jumping a PISA Teardrop outside of South Africa, you *might* want to wait a bit... (btw I paid £370 for a custom coloured Heatwave which was ready a month after ordering)

Chris

Looking at your profile I see that you have 30 jumps, is that correct or have you progressed?

I can understand why you would want to buy new kit, but for your level of experience i would suggest that a Hornet would not be appropiate.

"The HORNET Range of main parachutes are a "semi" elliptical 9 cell design incorporating zero porosity fabric and microline. "

I have never flown a Hornet but I believe they are in the Sabre 2 bracket (direct copy I believe).

You may be better off buying a 2nd hand set of kit to start with, as your requirements will change over your first few hundred jumps.

Next time you are at Nethers have a chat with the senior instructor and ask theire advice. You could also speak to any of the following, just tell them Buzz said Hi and to ask if they could help you out.

Andy Godwin, Cath Salisbury - Weekend instructors.
Mick Nealis - Royal Engineers Team Leader
Tony Goodman- Royal Artillery Team Leader
Caroline Hughes - Fun Jumper and FS Coach

If you are going to the AGM we could meet up for a chat.

Skydivemonkey, are you going to the AGM? If so what are the chances of you brining one of those outrageous T's with you/

I'm sure it would "go down" well over here in Germany.

Blue ones

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

You may be better off buying a 2nd hand set of kit to start with, as your requirements will change over your first few hundred jumps.

That is sound advice. On a slightly different note, did you know that the Freds are now using Hornets instead of Sabres as their team (non-CReW) canopy? I was quite impressed to read that and definitely do get the impression that Hornets are becoming popular in the UK.

Will

[replyThat is sound advice. On a slightly different note, did you know that the Freds are now using Hornets instead of Sabres as their team (non-CReW) canopy? I was quite impressed to read that and definitely do get the impression that Hornets are becoming popular in the UK.

Will

I believe the Freds are now using Triathlons which are produced by PISA under license from Aerodyne for CF.

Makes you wonder why they had a training camp in South Africa;)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Maybe you should try PM David Geffin - Newbie - he got his Teardrop from PISA. I think he got some helps by Hinton staffs cos most of them are South Africans. He tolds me it was totally nightmare bring it to UK to avoid custom fees etc...! I don't think he'll do it again in the future!

Worth a try to contact him? If you didn't heard anything from him - let me know I'll contact him for you.

*** Direct copy?? No way... the Hornet's reputation was established long before the SabreII. PD probably wishes the SabreII had the reliability and utility of the Hornet... Jump them both (I have) before you make wild assumptions. The canopy's are completely different.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Sabre 2 bracket (direct copy I believe).

The Hornet was out long before the Sabre2 was, they are similar but FAR from a direct copy. You are wrong.

A Hornet is a great canopy for beginning jumpers (50-ish jumps) IF they are lightly loaded and the proper training is there. SkydiveMonkey, talk to your instructors, the people who see you fly and have the experience and judgement ability to help you make a choice in canopies if they think that a Hornet (or any canopy for that matter) is right for you.

You know, just a few short years ago, square canopies were considered a death trap to anyone under 100 jumps...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Cheers for all the advice.

I had actually had a Hornet recommended as a first canopy. I have just under fifty jumps at present (so my profile is not too far out) and am really starting to look so that I can get something organised for this summer. I have been jumping PD 210's and 190's (more recently) which is why I was looking at that sort of size. My landings have been mixed but the majority are good. I was also planning to test jump a Hornet from Thomas Sports prior to making any decision. I do not, however, want to rush into getting a canopy that is too small for me - I have already seen enough injuries and do not wish to add myself to the list.

I appreciate all the help from people and any further advice will be well received.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Hi Chris

Check out Manny at Icarus. I believe that he has a brand new Teardrop, with hornet and tempo reserve for +/- $2000 US

www.icarus.co.za check under used gear.

Cheers

Tallies
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

Just want to second that of icarus and service. I ordered my Hornet from them, and got great service.
Now I'm just waiting for the temperatures to drop a little so that I can jump again :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just remember their Teardrop only has the SA TSO and not the FAA TSO

from what i understand the FAA TSO standard is only relevant to the US, but the USPA state that you can jump a rig that does not have FAA TSO rating as long as the rig is deemed safe to jump in your home country (which PISA's Teardrops are here in the UK) and that while in the US no other jumper uses your kit, so that way you can jump it out there.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts