alge

Something new from Aerodyne - Sensei(!)

So while everyone was talking about the Comp Velo, Aerodyne's ninjas sneakily snook behind them all and released Brian Germain's Sensei(?!).

See 2:40 into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrANff1CwOc&feature=channel_page (from the VASST channel @ PIA 2009 interviewing Bill from Aerodyne).

Interesting stuff: New honey comb ripstop material instead of the normal square thing, "packs about 15% smaller than traditional fabrics". Not very clear if they only use this for the Sensei or if it will be standard for the Pilots and Mambas etc. as well.

No mention of the Sensei on Aerodyne's website, though. Maybe Brian or someone from Aerodyne could comment on when it will be possible to order it in this thread? ^^

(Relax, I'm not getting a Sensei anytime soon.)

that's right! you need to swoop the the way of the Samura firsti(BUY OF MINE!) to become a Sensei. :)
I'd also like that to hear from Brian or someone from Aerodyne about when the Sensei available for a demo, especially here in Norway =) When I'm ready for an XB canopy, I'd like to test out Sensei vs Velo.

And of course price and specs would be nice.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

that's right! you need to swoop the the way of the Samura firsti(BUY OF MINE!) to become a Sensei. :)
I'd also like that to hear from Brian or someone from Aerodyne about when the Sensei available for a demo, especially here in Norway =) When I'm ready for an XB canopy, I'd like to test out Sensei vs Velo.

And of course price and specs would be nice.

We were just talking about the sensei at the dz today. If it flys anywhere near as good as my sameri I will buy one and try it out. Brians canopys rock. I love my sameri. I got bored with it sent it back to Brian he tweeked it and relined it and it was so much faster.

Interesting stuff: New honey comb ripstop material instead of the normal square thing, "packs about 15% smaller than traditional fabrics". Not very clear if they only use this for the Sensei or if it will be standard for the Pilots and Mambas etc. as well.

Sandy of Aerodyne did say at the symposium that the new fabric will be available as an "extra option" on it's other canopies. She wasn't sure what the extra price would be, but that they would announce it soon.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Our new fabric, called ZPX, is being introduced to compliment already well known ZP. It will be available as an option for additional $200 per canopy. Our A2 tandem made out of ZPX will have additional cost of $300.
We are just in the process of getting a full range of colors for all those who are interested in ZPX. All in all, I have been jumping my ZPX Mamba 96 since December 2008, and would not trade it back for a standard ZP one.
As for Sensei demo in Norway, we are just waiting for the snow to start melting in your backyard, but please email Herman of our EU Demo Tour, [email protected], for more info.
For those asking about order form on our website, it should be up in a week or so, just giving you guys enough time to save up some $$$.
The MSRP on this fine wing will run at $ 2,877.00
Please feel free to email me if you have more questions I can help you with.
Blues,
Leszek
Aerodyne US Tour
[email protected]
[email protected]

I can help you out with that question. I have over 600 jumps between two sensei prototypes, both of which are very close to the final design. I have also flown the final design a handful of times, and having flown Bri's parachutes for 1700 jumps (between the jedi, samurai and the sensei) I consider myself to have knowledge in this area.

The sensei is a 7-cell x-brace parachute that is meant to swoop. As with all fully eliptical parachutes, the more speed you have on final the better it flares. It seems to have a longer recovery arc than the samurai but is more responsive and powerful on the rears due to the "fat tail" design. In slow flight the characteristics are similar and one can achieve insanely slow vertical speeds in full brakes with only some "musshiness" in the wing. (keep in mind it is NOT airlocked so there will be more of this mushiness in slow flight) The sensei is more responsive with input than the samurai due to the narrower wing and angle of attack. In turbulence it handles nicely, as most x-brace wings do. It isn't bullet proof to collapsing like the samurai (again, no airlocks) but is quick to respond in the event of a collapse. Openings are SWEET!!! I am loading my 81 at 1.74 with full camera gear and I have not had it slam me in over 600 jumps. Big boy x-brace rules apply when deploying as it will search for air during inflation (but all x-brace canopies do). It does not, however, search as much as a velo. I have made a handful of jumps wearing 20 lbs. of lead with a wingloading of 2.0 and there wan't any noticable difference in opening characteristics...still soft and smooth.

I have let a few other swoopers fly it and this was their review. One jumper, who flies a couple of chaos 21's, fell in love with it after two jumps...better openings and more powerful on the rears and flare. The other jumper flies a JVX and said the sensei had better openings and was more responsive in the harness.

I hope this helps answer questions about how it flies, handles, etc. ;)

"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

As for Sensei demo in Norway, we are just waiting for the snow to start melting in your backyard,

why? Can't it handle a little snow ;):P We're jumping all year long here! B|
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Not entirely true. SOME of us are jumping all year long here. Things should improve now that the minor "lack of an airplane" issue has been recently rectified... ;)

details schmitails... =P
www.lilchief.no

Our new fabric, called ZPX, is being introduced to compliment already well known ZP. It will be available as an option for additional $200 per canopy. Our A2 tandem made out of ZPX will have additional cost of $300.
We are just in the process of getting a full range of colors for all those who are interested in ZPX. All in all, I have been jumping my ZPX Mamba 96 since December 2008, and would not trade it back for a standard ZP one.
As for Sensei demo in Norway, we are just waiting for the snow to start melting in your backyard, but please email Herman of our EU Demo Tour, [email protected], for more info.
For those asking about order form on our website, it should be up in a week or so, just giving you guys enough time to save up some $$$.
The MSRP on this fine wing will run at $ 2,877.00
Please feel free to email me if you have more questions I can help you with.
Blues,
Leszek
Aerodyne US Tour
[email protected]
[email protected]

Are you guys doing any demos. Before I pay 2800+ I want to try it out. I am sure I will like it. I have never jump a canopy designed by Brian I did not like.

I have not tried one yet but Sensei demos are coming soon. All of you who have been waiting to try Brian's wing need to be patient just for a short while. Sensei demos will most likely be made out of regular ZP material, so the pack volume will be much bigger. If I was to order one, I would get a ZPX version for sure. It really is a next step in ZP evolution and packers fight over it on the packing mat.

i posted this over in gear and rigging, but got steered to this thread.

does anyone know if aerodyne will be building the lotus and samurai as well?

As far as I know we are not planning on building the lotus or samurai. If you are looking for any of those two, the best advise I can give you is to contact Brian and see if he would be interested in building one for you.
Blues,
Leszek
Aerodyne US Tour
[email protected]

thanks! i have a lotus (built by pd) and was considering a same-sized samurai for my next canopy. having it made of low-bulk fabric would justify a smaller rig. ;)

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Unfortunately list price is a huge factor at this time.
The difference in list price between a Lotus and a Saber2 is $739 and that’s just too much…

Don’t get me wrong, I just love my Lotus (170sqf) but with this price I won’t buy a Lotus when it’s time for me to fly a smaller canopy. :(

I just hope this will change quite soon......

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

thanks! i have a lotus (built by pd) and was considering a same-sized samurai for my next canopy. having it made of low-bulk fabric would justify a smaller rig. ;)

I totally understand your idea of having your next canopy build out of a low-bulk material. I have been flying a ZPX Mamba for a couple of months now and there is no way I would go back to regular ZP, i just got too spoiled ;)
For me comfort on my back plays a big role in the choice of personal gear. We are quite lucky that ever-evolving technology is giving us, the end users, more options. PD did a very good job when they introduced Optimum to the market. It gave those who wanted a bigger reserve but had smaller rigs, to meet their needs.
For us at Aerodyne, adding a ZPX option will allow skydivers who would like to up-size their canopy and at the same time retain their container to do just that. The same goes for those who would like to fly a Sensei, they will not have to worry about having to buy too small of a size to fit in their rig, they can simply use ZPX option to offset the bulk.

this is true. $2800 is a lot of money, but i wonder what the actual street price would be. i haven't talked to any dealers, because i'm at least a year away from a new canopy.
MB4252 TDS699

If this season goes as planned I’m going to be looking to buy a complete new system this fall.

I already had my progression plan set since I just love the Lotus. First a smaller Lotus (136sqf) and after that a Samurai in the same size….

These prices have altered this plan quite a bit for me…

I know, everybody have to get paid and make at least a decent living.. This is the same for me, I don’t shit money so next canopy will probably be a Sabre2 instead of a Lotus.

As I wrote earlier… I just hope Brian can find someone to manufacture his canopies at a lower price.
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

As I wrote earlier… I just hope Brian can find someone to manufacture his canopies at a lower price.

Does the price has to do anything with producing in really small quantities?

Big Air's Canopies are now available as a Signature Series line only.
That means that each one is hand-crafted by Brian Germain himself.

He should have a hell of expensive signature.;)

He used to have a course discount.

i got my lotus with the course discount, $1500. that put it just over a pilot and just under a sabre2 (dealer prices) at the time. it would be almost double that to replace it!
MB4252 TDS699

To be fair a new JVX Full Sail or Hybrid will cost you around $3K a Zero P will put you out around $2500, I believe the Velo II is at or near $3K as well, with the Velo I in the $2500 range.

I don't think that Brian's canopy price is out of whack for the level of canopy you will be getting. It's on Par with the competition.

I know when I used to be a Big Air Dealer, Brian was using PD for his production canopies and also did his Signature Series as well, which were hand built Line Sets and mods, but I believe he still had PD cut and assemble the canopy.

I think its great he is teaming with Aerodyne to manufacture his canopies. It was proabably more competative pricing than he was getting from PD, and probably allows him to both keep his pricing realistic, and meet demand.

This should be a win / win for dye hard Brian Germain canopy fans. Wish I still had my Samurai as a backup canopy, or on Big Ways.

when will the sensei be available on the website? Will it be possible to demo a sensei 111 or 121 when Aerodyne takes a trip around europe?
www.lilchief.no