djd

best swooping canopy

Ive heard so much about new canopies but which ones the best.
i personally jump a velo 90 but have heard about the jvx and xaos.
i know openings on the xaos are supposed to be really good, but do you lose any performance..???
any advice much appreciated.
thanks....djd
:P

Which sports car is the best racing sports car?

Well, you're about to get a lot of opinions, but that won't tell you which canopy is best for you. Then there's pilots like JC, Jay, Tagle, etc that you could damned near give them a tandem slider and they would have killer swoops on it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

lol....yeah figered might be stiring a hornets nest. thx anyway.
i love flying my velo just hate the openings... im a pretty neat packer but every now and again she just wants to scare the crap out of me...:ph34r:as i said i love the canopy fast as shit landings cool..but may think of taking a percentage drop in performance over openings when flying camera..
:S

Have you had PD look at your canopy? The velos I've jumped and the Velos I've seen jumped typically open quite well. A friend of mine did have one that opened like crap, PD looked at it and found it to have some problems in the construction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I can't speak for it myself but i am just about to order a JVX, I spent alot of time researching the different swooping canopies and like yourself i want a nice opener!(for camera jumps)

I think the jvx has proven itself already with the performance, the new kid on the block racing against the veterans and getting results already.

i have watched the openings and they look great. some say they were too long but i never saw any that sniveled too long. like a croosfire opening.

and it is the future of design, so thats what gets my vote!

long swoops,

rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Ive jumpe 4 different Velos in the past 3 months 3 of them 103 and one 111 with the small HMA and RDS. All three opened fine (considering they were highly loaded, crossbraced, canopies)
the one I own now opens fine both at terminal and sub-terminal. It 'searches" a bit on opening, but as long as I dont go throwing a lot of input to try to correct, it still opens on heading.
I wear a Hawkeye with a PC105 mounted on the left side for 99% of my jumps. No problems here.

just my .02
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Hey dood, I've noticed with my velos that the more I try to do on opening, the worse things get.

The most recent thing I've realized is that if I reached up and grabbed my risers, it *seemed* to make the slider hang out longer and give me really surgy openings.

I just grab the three rings now just to give my hands something to do and it seemed to open more predictably. The experiment was conducted with the same packer (not me) and was only over 20ish jumps. So take it for what its worth (almost nothing).

...if it's about the time to change the lines, send your canopy to Mel (I think he is the 'masterrigger1' on these forums. email him at: [email protected])
You'll be happy as kid again ;)
I had the same problem... Not anymore! Now I do enjoy the openings of my Velo just like bunch of others who dealt with Mel.

I believe MEL moves the cats-eye toward the canopy to improve openings when a customer complains about Velo openings he is relining. Opens faster with less searching but not harder. This was discussed in a thread "velo's supposed change in brake settings untrue"

1 7/8" (48mm) for a 75
2 1/4" (57mm) for a 90
2 1/2" (64mm) for larger

of course that was then and PD may have changed - best to talk to him about it at reline time.

rm

Just purchased a X-Brace. Had line twist on the first 5 jumps and spinning. Had a reserve ride and took it to a rigger to change the steering line stows. Moved these up to the canopy 6cm and now it opens great and on heading. Done about 65 jumps on this since.
“It takes ten years to get ten years’ experience” Eric "tonto" Stephenson D515 PASA

A re-Line is much more cost effective than a new canopy. ;) I'd go for the re-line and if you still are'nt happy sell it and demo the other X-Braced Models. You can get your money back for the re-line by upping your price to cover the new lineset.

My Vote is the JVX, considering I have two of them. I love this canopy. LOVE IT. Compared to the VX and the Xaos, I think the JVX has better openings and performance. I have never jumped a Velocity so I have no frame of reference there.

thx people this is all good ideas. as to the JVX its what i was thinking of getting but been told the sail cloth 1's pack for shit....

im gona stick with my velo for now as im just about to start swooping the pond at elsinore and want a canopy i know a bit rather than a new one. but i can see the JVX will be in my rig bag soon if the reports stay as good as they are.

safe swoops...........

What are your current goals?
What are your future goals?
What kind of flying are you going to do most often (camera, hop n pops, competition)?
What do you want the canopy to do, what characteristics are you looking for in the canopy?
How much can you spend now?
How much can you spend later (some canopies require more maintanance)?

After answering those questions you can pretty much answer your first question. Cause the best swooping canopy isn't the same for everyone, hell i encourage anyone looking into getting a new canopy to ask themselves these questions.

hope that helps...stu
p.s. the canopy doesn't make the pilot, the pilot makes the canopy.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Ive heard so much about new canopies but which ones the best.
i personally jump a velo 90 but have heard about the jvx and xaos.
i know openings on the xaos are supposed to be really good, but do you lose any performance..???
any advice much appreciated.
thanks....djd
:P

This question is like "Hey. I haven't seen this question asked in 2 weeks. Better ask it again!"

Its all based on opinion. Mine says to jump a Velo, hands down. Yes the JVX has been doing well, but not great. Sure there are amatuers doing ok with it, but just look at the CPC Championships. There were amatuers doing way better with Velo's and even VXs, even in practice.

The most recent thing I've realized is that if I reached up and grabbed my risers, it *seemed* to make the slider hang out longer and give me really surgy openings.

Which set of risers are you reaching for? Grabbing the rears and pulling on them should help the slider come down a tad faster not slower like you claim. But what do we know? You seem to have it all figured out already at 450 jumps.

I just grab the three rings now just to give my hands something to do and it seemed to open more predictably.

You grab your what? Are you trying to lose some fingers or something like that? Also, what are you going to do if you have an off-heading opening and you're heading straight for another canopy? How are you going to steer your canopy away from that other one when your hands are stuck in your 3-rings?

WTF?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Which set of risers are you reaching for? Grabbing the rears and pulling on them should help the slider come down a tad faster not slower like you claim. But what do we know? You seem to have it all figured out already at

Sue me for not updating my profile, Steve. I started jumping in 2001, before you, at mile hi. I've got over 1000 jumps and about 600 of those are on a Samurai of one size or another. Good god folks, I wasn't trying to give any swooping advice here, just how to survive openings.

Edited to add that I am very aware that 1000 jumps really isn't a lot either. Its a drop in the bucket, but I talk with and jump with some rather experienced folks and I learn from them and respect their opinions and advice. So don't take it as "I've got 1000 jumps and I am the master", this is not what I'm saying, I've just gotten three comments now on my jump numbers. It gets a little old.

You grab your what? Are you trying to lose some fingers or something like that? Also, what are you going to do if you have an off-heading opening and you're heading straight for another canopy? How are you going to steer your canopy away from that other one when your hands are stuck in your 3-rings?

WTF?

Last time I checked, homes, when you're jumping a small velo loaded up, harness input, especially when it is still inflating, really does do a lot. I would think grabbing and yanking on a riser would be a bad thing to do. If you're opening up close enough to other people that you would need to take such drastic measures, maybe you should work on your tracking skills. Vertical separation doesn't count either!

So again, I don't claim to be an swooping prophet, and I wasn't giving advice that way. I've just noticed that when I stopped tweaking on openings and just chilling out, I had much more predictable openings. This doesn't mean I'm not really to take action when sh-t hits the fan, it just means I don't make things worse by pulling on things and wiggling around in the harness trying to fly it out. I've gotten that advice from others that have a ton more experience than me (and you, Steve) and I thought it might be nice to pass it on.

I personally think the velocity is an awesome canopy, it can be as chill or as scary as you make it be. I think the openings are fantastic compared to canopies I used to jump and I would like to see the guy who originally asked the question work through some of his issues before sh-t canning a good canopy and dropping major dime on the latest and greatest when his problem could be fixed on the cheap to free tip. Please let me know if what I offered up was out of line, I'm glad this community is so well patrolled.

I've just noticed that when I stopped tweaking on openings and just chilling out, I had much more predictable openings. This doesn't mean I'm not really to take action when sh-t hits the fan, it just means I don't make things worse by pulling on things and wiggling around in the harness trying to fly it out.

I agree. I find relaxing in the harness and 'going with the flow' produces far more stable and predictable openings. I've had a few times where I've needed to haul on a riser but they're rare, and generally when I do it's cause I did something else to screw the opening up.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Sue me for not updating my profile, Steve. I started jumping in 2001, before you, at mile hi. I've got over 1000 jumps and about 600 of those are on a Samurai of one size or another. Good god folks, I wasn't trying to give any swooping advice here, just how to survive openings.

Hmmm ... should I sue? Maybe I will. You should update your profile. I wouldn't have made a mean spirited post had I known you had 1000 jumps. Of course I know I've put my foot in my mouth many times here on DZ.COM and this time could be no different. But if you're talking about your experiences on a cross-braced canopy, it makes it easier on everyone to know that you've got the necessary "generic" jump number experience (which you have) when it comes to jumping a cross-brace. So go update your profile and I'll try not to be such a #### next time. :P

A couple of years ago I sprained one of my thumbs after getting riser-slapped on a sub-terminal slider off BASE jump. At that stage of my short BASE jumping career I was still reaching for my risers immediately thinking that I could control my openings better. But I have since learned to wait until I feel the canopy coming off of my back and the snatch force starting to kick in before I go for the rear risers. I do kind of a "Hands up you're under arrest" thing with my arms after I pitch my pilot chute trying to keep my body symmetrical. So when I read that you go for your 3-rings I just thought "owe" that's going to hurt if your fingers get tangled with your rings or risers.

I'm looking forward to getting my JVX!

You're getting a hybrid 90 right? You are going to be smoking fast that's for sure. Ever since I started jumping Shimell's old 87 I've began to experience the hype of the JVX. I'm not so sure the 87 is the best canopy for me on distance as I think a 90 might be better. Maybe next season when/if I'm in town for a visit we can swap for a jump or two. I just hope I can stay current. :)