FAC

New FAI Distance Record in Colorado

daedalus canopies, does not offer sponsorships. only the peeps that buy them, get them. and when the "non sponsored pilots" start kicking some ass, you have to ask yourself. "is it all about the pilot?"

the answer, "for the most part is " YES!, but you get to a level when that isnt true anymore.

mark my words, your going to see shit change soon.

the bar is raised, and i wish paul russouw (sp?) was out here this weekend to HELP me prove my point!!!

Dude, this sounds like you have been at the bar, raising something... what is it again that PD needs to do?? Give Jay more Velos so he can set more world records?

I'm down with that - go PD Factory Team!!!

Blue ones,
Kolla

you will see what a jvx can do when a pilot that has the time and EXPERIANCE gets under one.

i beat the world record at 595 feet, my personal record 5 days earlier on all other brace canopies was 320 ft.

the jvx is the most highest performing canopy on the market right now. im not sponsored in any way, and that is a fact that, that canopy will blow the velo, and the vx out of the water. the performance i had this weekend was WAY above and beyond my skill. all that changed this week was the altitude, and the canopy.

kolla. you know me girl, i wouldnt lie to you. the jvx is BADASS! and it is going to go big.

the bar is raised, im sure you will hear this from your factory pilots when they get home..

'GAME ON BABY.;)

what do you kall me kolla?

KOCKY BASTARD!!!!:ph34r:

and all you assholes out there that want to talk shit about my posting this and the way i worded it..

go fuck yourself, the bar is raised and P.D. now knows it. what happens now, is hopefully they get off there ass and produce something better. because they will have to when we get enough EXPERIANCE under this wing.. thats the game, and if you have been around long enough, you know it...

p.d. cant wait to see how you raise the bar once again.

:)
please dont take this as a pd bashing post.

p.d. is the one "if not the best" skydiving gear manufacturer out there. and i know that, and so does everyone else.

they dont make money off the velo, and it is kicking ass all the time, so why change it. well "why change it?" because there is a wing out there that is SOO much batter in performance. your just going to have to wait for the EXPERIANCE level to build and the bar will be raised once again.

kolla. email me, we need to talk.;)

Blah blah blah too,
and can´t wait until you have more EXPERIANCE....(or was it axperiance,or maybe experience,oh well ,who cares...)
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

Still waitting to see the video of the record being broke.

I do have to say that we should apologize to those not there. We supplied you guys with plenty of pre-competition pics and nothing since. Our bad!!! But I'm not the one to talk to. Hopefully somebody who was there with a camera can come forward here and post something for the curious to see? Anyone? My camcorder is broken so no video from me this week.

For the record, Steve refused to video with my camera the record being set. :$

I will have it up on skydivingmovies tonight - and as soon as it is approve you will all be able to see it...

For the record, Steve refused to video with my camera the record being set.

I will have it up on skydivingmovies tonight - and as soon as it is approve you will all be able to see it...

Sweet, I look forward to viewing that swoop. Cant wait!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

For the record, Steve refused to video with my camera the record being set.

Yes this is true, Travis asked me if I could video tape the action with his camcorder and I aplogized saying that I wanted to watch it though my eyes and not a viewfinder. Sorry dude ... but there were plenty of other cameras out there.

I need to take a shower and make the 40-60 minute drive to the DZ. Today is the Pro-Am distance and speed events (plus dirt water dirt) which I can only be a spectator to. But I may get bored, get a little foolish and try a on purpose water landing working on my supermans where I land on my belly instead of my injured butt. We'll see how I feel later today (I still need to pack my rig before I can jump it). I'm still injured from my crash in the first speed round last Wednesday, but I might not be out that much longer. :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Blah blah blah too,

lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way.

in this case, comments like that are of an jealous or even angered nature and has no purpose.

i said the things i said because i have seen firsthand what each or these canopies can do. and it is bigger better and faster and goes farther.

maybe JC will break the distance record with his jvx 118. i think it is on order. and why would JC want a jvx anyway? the velo is the best thing ever.:P

if the fact that a parachute maker out there just built and released a better parachute doesnt excite you, then your a follower or your dead. daedalus, raises the bar in high performance, what do you think will happen next? think about it. there will be more innovation from the other factories to push and get an even better wing out there.

Blah blah blah too,

***lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way.

in this case, comments like that are of an jealous or even angered nature and has no purpose.

i said the things i said because i have seen firsthand what each or these canopies can do. and it is bigger better and faster and goes farther.

maybe JC will break the distance record with his jvx 118. i think it is on order. and why would JC want a jvx anyway? the velo is the best thing ever.:P

if the fact that a parachute maker out there just built and released a better parachute doesnt excite you, then your a follower or your dead. daedalus, raises the bar in high performance, what do you think will happen next? think about it. there will be more innovation from the other factories to push and get an even better wing out there.

Whatever....I just would like to congratulate Jay with his Performance....
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

Wow, very few stand up landings. Want to impress me, stand up the landing.

Come on Derek ... let's be real here. You're judging things you weren't even around for. First off you have no idea as to the state of the landing area and whether or not it's smooth and easy to surf on (it's not, it's easy to get your feet caught in the pea gravel and face plant if you're not careful). Secondly, it's not uncommon for us to downwind a landing. Do you really expect people to run out strong downwinders? I got hurt (suffering a hairline fracture) in my leg running out a downwind landing last year and I vowed for this never to be repeated. In fact Travis showed plenty of stand ups (he could have shown many many more butt slides). I know you're a talented canopy pilot but I also learned this week that there is no place for egos in competitive swooping. Instead of criticizing and judging us, why don't you break out that VX 60 of yours (I know you sold it, in fact it was in town competing against us this week and it sure was NOT a very effective wing). So come out and compete against us? Until I see you running the gates, making them, staying in the course doing what you're supposed to do in the various courses and consistently placing well, then it really is all talk (once again egos have no place in competitive swooping). The swooping talent has gotten better and it only will get better with time. My time as a competitive swooper will be short due to my age, but like it or not (well we know you're not going to like it), some very good young swooping talent is poised to come out of Colorado in the years to come.

Something truly magical happened in Colorado this week. The Mile Hi haters ... and there are plenty of them, need to step back and think of the future instead of what's happened in the past. The CPC Championships/Go-Fast Challenge were a total success (even though big crowds were not present). The bar for swooping has been raised. It's going to be fun not only participating but seeing where the sport goes in the years to come. Criticize and judge us all you want, but we had tons of fun this week and Jay Moledski showed us what can be done at altitude.

My God pond swooping rocks. B|

This weekend I am so proud to call Mile High home. So many happy friendly skydivers were around. The vibe was awesome. The Mile High Otter flew it's first flight, and even did a pass of the pond. (proving pigs can fly and hell can freeze over all at the same time).

Anyway, this video shows a lot of people learning, and a few pros pushing the limits.

I apologize to all the guys who competed in the non-pro levels that I was unable to video that day, so you kind of got omitted from this video... But I am sure the Triax guys will fill all the holes I missed as just a hobbyist...

Anyway, if your ears are open Frank to this thread, again, congratulations... This weekend at the DZ rocked!

Anyway, if your ears are open Frank to this thread, again, congratulations... This weekend at the DZ rocked!

Yes, a very well run event.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Wow, very few stand up landings. Want to impress me, stand up the landing.

You know, that may be my fault. :S Stand up landings are not as fun to watch in an entertainment piece as someone splashing in the water.... If I was trying to accurately document the competition, or make an educational video on swooping, I probably would have many more stand up landings...

I think the injuries were very minor this year, considering what people were doing.

If you want to see stand up landings, go to a stand up landing competition. This was a swooping competition. Just as with an accuracy comp, stand ups are not the goal.

You are wrong. In zone accuracy and freestyle stand up landings are the goal. Most people took a 10 point penalty in zone accuracy for failing to stand them up.

If you want to see stand up landings, go to a stand up landing competition. This was a swooping competition. Just as with an accuracy comp, stand ups are not the goal.

You are wrong. In zone accuracy and freestyle stand up landings are the goal. Most people took a 10 point penalty in zone accuracy for failing to stand them up.

I think he was refering to "Classic Accuracy" where standups are not required.

This is the first meet where zone accuracy has had a penalty for non stand up landings. The landing area used was not condusive to safe standup landings, but I think that will be changed. Zone accuracy was developed for and always intended to be run on beaches or similar landing areas, which provide for softer touchdowns. Nationals and this event reinforced the fact that proper preperation of the corses is important.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

First off you have no idea as to the state of the landing area and whether or not it's smooth and easy to surf on (it's not, it's easy to get your feet caught in the pea gravel and face plant if you're not careful).

I always walked my landing area before landing on it. If it wasn't suitable, I didn't land there.

Secondly, it's not uncommon for us to downwind a landing. Do you really expect people to run out strong downwinders?

Yes, I expect people to stand up almost every landing. If the wind is so strong that you can't go downwind and stand it up, then don't go downwind.

Not requiring a stand up landing for the run to count is bad for several reasons:

1) It sets a bad example for the up and comers by sending the message that it is OK to crash and get hurt, just go big.

2) It removes some of the skill aspect from competetion and replaces it with whover is wiling to crash the hardest. Anyone can hook it downwind in 50-mph winds and beat the current distance record. Of course it is really going to hurt. That isn't about skill, it's about going big.

If you a wearing so much weight to increase your distance that you can't stand up the landing, then you wearing too much weight.

Requiring a stand up landing levels the playing field and takes the willingness to crash big out of the equation.

VX 60 of yours (I know you sold it, in fact it was in town competing against us this week and it sure was NOT a very effective wing

Since you bring it up, I remember a competetion in CO where the max distance was 2 cones. I was doing a fun jump and swooped the course right after the competetion was over, going 4 cones..........

Until I see you running the gates, making them, staying in the course doing what you're supposed to do in the various courses and consistently placing well, then it really is all talk

Of course, it is too late now, but I never competed, (wanted to) because it didn't matter if you cratered. I wasn't willing to crash to win, and couldn't compete against that that were.

The Mile Hi haters

This isn't about MH. If you look at my previous posts on the subject, they are the same, regardless of where the competetion is being held.

Derek

Since you bring it up, I remember a competetion in CO where the max distance was 2 cones. I was doing a fun jump and swooped the course right after the competetion was over, going 4 cones..........

I've gone well over 400 feet in practice. But to date my personal best (which I set this week) is only 365 feet. The reason why I can only claim 365 feet is that it must be done in competition where the appropriate judges are in place to ensure that I make the entry gates, stay within the course and follow the preset rules. Anyone can claim that they can do this or that when no one else is looking. But until it's done in competition, it doesn't count.

I'm only kidding when I saw this (or am I), but Jay Moledski is my hero (actually all the Pro and Amateur swoopers I networked with this week are my heros).

Someone with less skill can beat someone of more skill because of their willingness to crater the landing.

The key to winning swoop comps is making the entry gates run after run. The guys willing to push the fine line on these gates by going big are the ones who often vert and get a big fat donut. During our zone accuracy event at the CPC Championships, they penalized us 10 points for not standing up the landing (plus the freesyle events have a similar rule). But to say that someone needs to standup a landing on distance or speed is just holding the sport back.

Education can and always has been the key for the wannabe swooper. I am very happy that I received some canopy control instruction from you when I had 150+ jumps. And I didn't stop learning. I've received some form of canopy control coaching from Jim Slaton three times now and am hoping to get some from Jay Moledski this week. Instead of worrying about corrupting the wannabe swooper with butt slide landings, we need to emphasize to the junior swooper that they shouldn't be worrying about generating too much speed and distance with their wing and worry more about learning how to dive your canopy, get off of the risers at the right time and let the canopy plane out by itself (I've already been talking about this to several wannabe CPCers). For the guys who choose not to listen, well I only hope not too many people are around when they crater.

But to say that someone needs to standup a landing on distance or speed is just holding the sport back.

Why? If you can't stand up the landing, are you going farther because you got better or had a higher tail wind? Why can't you go farther/faster/more accurately without compromising the landing? I don't see stand up landings as holding the sport back, I see them as allowing the sport to grow with the emphasis on pure skill.

Instead of worrying about corrupting the wannabe swooper with butt slide landings, we need to emphasize to the junior swooper that they shouldn't be worrying about generating too much speed and distance with their wing and worry more about learning how to dive your canopy, get off of the risers at the right time and let the canopy plane out by itself (I've already been talking about this to several wannabe CPCers). For the guys who choose not to listen, well I only hope not too many people are around when they crater.

People watch the pros. If the pros go downwind and crater, what do you think the new guys learn from that? It is OK to crater, just go big. They don't care if the pros say,"go slow, stand up your landings, etc." They see what the pros cratering and think it is OK, even the right way to do it. Because, "that is how the pros do it."

If the pros were required to stand up their landings and a new guy was bragging about his downwind to a ccrater landings, the pro could mention, "Sure, but you would have gotten a zero in competetion." That would cool his jets and he would focus more on learning how to fly the canopy and not how to survive the crash at the end.

Requiring a stand-up landing prevents the newer jumper from skipping larning how to swoop and just using tailwinds to get the distance/speed.

Cratering the landing is regressing the sport of canopy flying, not progressing it.

Swooping is not about who carries the most weight, or who is willing to down-wind it in the highest winds. What skill is there in that?

What is the skill in down-winding in 50-mph winds?

You could go break the distance record on the next 50-mph wind day, just down-wind it. Does that make you the best canopy pilot in the world?

It should be about skill. That is the example pro swoopers should be setting. That it is not OK to crater the landing. The best canopy pilots stand up the landing.

Why are you so against stand-up landings?

Derek

You could go break the distance record on the next 50-mph wind day, just down-wind it. Does that make you the best canopy pilot in the world?

There is a max speed for wind when they are trying to set a new record:

7 meters per second

Almost 16 miles per hour (I think)

In any direction.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey