FAC

New FAI Distance Record in Colorado

From a pure spectator's standpoint (I don't swoop), I kinda agree with Derek. It looks neater when they stand up the landing. Especially when you see Jay or some amazing pro turn the canopy on it's side(!), drag the stabilizer through the water, then upright it. If you can stand that up, it really looks like you are defying some law of nature.

Swooping is a competitive sport for one reason only. It looks neat. Sure, there's a lot of skill and talent on the part of the atheletes, but that's not enough to keep skysurfing in the X-games or allow 4-way in the Olympics - those aren't really spectator sports. Swooping is one of the only spectator allowances in skydiving, so I think it's going to become bigger. And if it looks neater to stand it up, then it might become a rule purely for the enjoyment of the crowd. I guess spectacular crashes look neat too, but there's a difference between Indy 500 and a demolition derby.

However, not being a swooper, I understand it's fast and dangerous. From that perspective, if it's safer to slide, then the athletes should be allowed to.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD