FAC

New FAI Distance Record in Colorado

come on man i drove the van at mile hi and saw you crash a few times.

Tandems aren't a swooping competetion.

I slide in some tandems, but you never saw me crash under my VX-60, ever.

like steve said come on out and compete....

A lot of things would have to change that are not going to change.

Stand it up or it didn't count.

Derek

no i think it was a safire 169 or something like that. you walked up to the van and said it was going to be a big canopy that killed you not a little one

Ya, I said that as a joke, but always stood that canopy up too. It was a 189.

So, now that we have talked about me, MH, etc. What about stand up landings, which is what this is really about?

Derek

Have you seen the pounding those guys take? I'm not getting any younger and don't like to get hurt if I can help it.

I sam some nice water splash's and a few digs on the ground that didnt look any worse than a baseball slide into home. Nothing serious. I dont like to get hurt either but I have done a few where I end up sliding on my ass or leg.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Do some research. I remember one article where the comment to the effect of, "I'm going to go down to the local sports store, get some pads and some ice packs so that people willthink I was a competetor too." was made. I know of one at this competetion that is out because of injuries. I could swoop and stand it up. It may have cost me some distance, but it was worth it.

Derek

I know of one at this competetion that is out because of injuries. I could swoop and stand it up. It may have cost me some distance, but it was worth it.

I dont know because I was not there but from the video it didnt look that bad. Your making it sound like it was a field of tibs and fibs broke all over from people pounding.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I dont know because I was not there but from the video it didnt look that bad. Your making it sound like it was a field of tibs and fibs broke all over from people pounding.

I didn't mean to make it sound that way. My point isn't so much competetor injuries, but the newer swoopers that look to them and think it is OK not to stand up the landing. Sacrafice the landing for speed/distance. I don't think that is the message they should be sending.

Again, why not make it a rule that you have to stand it up for the run to count? No one has given a good reason why not.

I see plenty of reasons why it would be a good rule.

Derek

Actually numerous (mainly minor) injures occured to both amateur and professional swoopers during the CPC Championships and GoFast Challenge. Two amateur competitors (myself being one of them) had to pull themselves from the competition prior to it's completion due to injuries. But just because someone is a little banged up doesn't mean that we weren't having fun and flying our canopies well (once again there is so much more to swooping than the very tail end of when when we touch down on the planet).

Swooping is evolving very very rapidly and it's getting to the point where people are willing to put up with a little punishment in order to push the performance envelope. Yes once in a while someone was seen digging out of the corner, but there were no really serious injuries and the skill level of the amateurs at this meet was outstanding. Records are made to be broken and Jay Moledski's distance run of 678 feet was magical. I am happy that I was a part of this historic week. This distance record will not stand forever, but did we ever think a swooper could swoop this far this time last year?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Again, why not make it a rule that you have to stand it up for the run to count? No one has given a good reason why not.

I see plenty of reasons why it would be a good rule.

Steve - Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a percentage point reduction if the landing was not a stand up in some categories? I didn't get out there a ton since I was cooped up in Frank's office working (as I sit in a hotel room in Houston typing this) so I didn't get all of the rules per each event.
------
Michael

Hook and Canuck...

This thread seems to have had more posts that Skyride of late...:$

I have hours of footage on my camera from this event, and I was there a lot this week... I think it is my footage so far that you, Hook, have seen... Have you seen any others?

As I previously said, I might have tainted the footage by primarily picking footage of freestyle and practice rounds, AND by picking shots that were entertaining to watch because not everything went perfect... Please, Hook, try to find some other video to watch too, footage that is more "documentary" in style of the event, that did not get an "editors interpretation" before you judge the event as a whole... I had so many "perfect swoops" with "perfect landings" that I did not put in, because I found "repetitive perfection" to be boring.:P I threw in a few extra not-so-perfect swoops to try to give the footage some of the spice that makes the TV show "Jackass" fun to watch. As long as no one was hurt, it is fun to laugh at the not-so-good landings...

I will admit, there is one shot I thought about NOT putting in the video that ended up in the footage. A pilot ends up not making the right move in a freestyle move and ends up going towards the audience, kind of out of control - but at the same time, once he realized where he was going, he shot the gap between the spectators pretty accurately quickly aborting the move... The landing became a slide because he used his energy to pop up high over the audience... I really was concerned it would give a bad image to the event, although it was only one swoop out of hundreds that went this way, AND the area he landed technically was not an area for spectators to be in and the spectators were moved right away... I left it in because it is something to learn by, next year I hope there is more caution tape or something blocking this area off...

Anyway, you guys seem to have burned the afternoon on this subject... As the guy who started this by posting this movie, I just had to go on the record to say you are judging my interpretation of the event, not an actual statistically accurate representation.:ph34r:

Oh, and in 24 hours this little hobby project has entered the top 1/3 of most downloaded videos off skydivingmovies.com, so I guess I learned my lesson in giving an "artistic interpretation" into the footage, as a lot of people now have seen it... Maybe next time I will put in a "do not try this at home, these guys are NOT trained professionals" tag line.:P

Well the bottom line Travis is that Derek is not impressed with us swoopers. He obviously doesn't think we're very skilled despite the fact that he wasn't there and is only basing his opinion of your (most awesome) video. Some of us were there and I was very impressed with the skill level of the amateurs and professionals even though some of us could have done better not abusing our bodies. We are humans after all and are capable of making mistakes. Sure would be nice to be perfect (I know I'd be in less pain if I was), but I'm not.

So in the end, who cares if only one person wasn't impressed. The event was a success, the amateurs for the most part flew well, the pros showed us what they can do and Jay Moledski shattered his world record and upped the bar for the swooping world. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

He obviously doesn't think we're very skilled despite the fact that he wasn't there and is only basing his opinion of your (most awesome) video.

Show me where I said that.

Some of us were there and I was very impressed with the skill level of the amateurs and professionals even though some of us could have done better not abusing our bodies.

Then why abuse them? Why not take that element out? It wouldn't hurt anything. Wouldn't you rather have been jumping today? Isn't already been said it would improve the image of swooping and help advance the sport?

Why not require stand up landings.

You have tried to make this about you, me, MH, the swoopers, highjumpers, tandems, and whatever else. That isn't what I am talking about. Only about stand up landings.

Give one good reason not to require a stand up landing for the run to count.

I have given several why it would be a good change.

And quit taking this so personal.

Derek

He obviously doesn't think we're very skilled despite the fact that he wasn't there and is only basing his opinion of your (most awesome) video.

Show me where I said that.

Derek -
It's being interpreted as such since you're having a beef with competitors not standing up their landings. If you're not seeing this, you need to start from the beginning.
Can we just stop the banter on this and get on with the fact that the FAI distance record was shattered?
------
Michael

It's my fault if people read things that aren't there?

ummmm...yeah? (runs and hides)... :D

Basically, you redirected the topic from the record that this was originally based on and said 'the rules should be...'. Some of the events have point reductions for not standing up (already addressed) but you continued on the 'it shouldn't count if they don't stand up' stance. Point was made early on and other addressed it but you continued on.
Your opinion on this is known now so get on with it. If you're really passionate on this, then get involved with the rule makers to make the change you're suggesting happen. People still do value your opinion but repeating over and over again that it shouldn't count gets old...quickly.
Again, if you're passionate about about this, get involved or voice your opinion on the subject - once - and drop it. You're not skydiving or swooping anymore so the weight your opinion carries on the subject loses credibilty quickly when you keep poking the fire.
------
Michael

I was discussing it with several people. I felt like I had to repeat myself because people kept trying to make it about something else.

Derek

Totally understand that. Instead of repeating, just refer people to read the prior posts. I don't read everything (see my post above somewhere to Steve) and he basically said I missed the discussion I was asking about.
------
Michael

Seeing pro swoopers doing a downwind controlled slide into land DOES set a good example to lesser experienced jumpers. It shows them that you can safely land downwind and dust your self off rather than making that too low turn into wind and killing yourself.

I have seen more injuries with people trying to stand up than sliding in.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk