Signo

Need advice on a TEMPO 170 loaded at 1.15

Hi Everybody,

I am about to jump with a rig that has a new 170 TEMPO loaded at 1.15. I have got 50 jumps and high level of currency. I plan to be jumping a lot this year. So far though I have jumped with 200 or bigger canopies and with my new rig I will move down to a 190 Sabre.

I am writing to ask you a feedback about how TEMPOs, perform at mine or higher wing loadings. I appreciate any prior experience and suggestions you may have, things I should be aware of with this canopy, or any word of wisdom that can get me to the ground safe in case I am on a reserve ride with this canopy.

P.S. I hope this is the right form to post this ad.

Thanks,

RS

I've landed two tempo's, and they both sucked. A 170 and a 150. Now I wasn't the best canopy pilot at the time, but they still sucked. I have also landed a raven, and it sucked too. The smallest reserve I have landed was a pd-126r. It was an awesome landing. I loaded it at about 1.8, and I landed it at 5500msl, on a 95 degree day. The Density altitude was over 9,000', and there was no wind.

In my experience the best landing reserve is a PD reserve. I have seen many other people land different reserves, and the PD has looked the best. I have seen people get hurt landing their reserves too, and it can happen on any reserve, but I think a lot of people will tell you, that you get what you pay for in this sport. So don't skimp on your last line of defense when it comes to you and the ground.

Thanks,

My container doesn't fits anything bigger than 178 176 reserve. Well yeah, you should get the container to fit the reserve and not the other way around...But when you try to go with used gear is not always easy.

The other thing is that I signed up for several canopy control classes and I plan to get proficient enough to get down to a 150-170 Main by the end of August.

With regard to the TEMPO, the guy I bought the container from was selling it as a reserve (new in the box).

Everybody says PDR is better and probably it is true. But what is wrong with TEMPOs?

RS

Nothing is wrong with Tempos, especially if you stay within the placarded weight limits. It's a TSOd reserve - period.

Canuck

ps. I have PDRs because I load my reserves a little on the high side and believe they will handle it better.

I was in the same boat you were a year ago when buying used gear and went with a rig that had a tempo 150 in it.
I have had one ride on it since then and it worked just fine. The steering and landing was mushy compared to my 9 cell ZP safire, but you can't expect a 7 cell F-111 reserve to compare. It may not have as good of landing characteristics as a PDR, but if you stay in the weight limits on the Tempo it will save your life as any other reserve. I wouldn't pass up a rig solely because it comes with a Tempo reserve, in fact, a Tempo is a plus to me, especially a brand new, unused one.
my 2 cents anyway.
----------
gravity rat formula 109
Team Gonzo and Team Jamaican Me Crazy
no bullshit, let's just fly, be safe, and have fun.

I am about to jump with a rig that has a new 170 TEMPO loaded at 1.15.

Lets think for a moment - if you cut away your main which is most malfunctions your probably at a 1:1 or less as 8 to 10 lbs of your 190 sabre just left you.

If you have a total mal, well 1.15 on a Tempo is within limits and will save your life fine. Tempo never spent the big money to advertise like PD so it must be a bad reserve right (cost less, smallest pack volume all things that are bad right!)

All of my rides (2) have been under a Tempo 150 loaded at 1:1ish. I would have preferred a smaller reserve as I am more used to landing with speed not coming straight down (so to speak).

PD makes a better reserve if you like to pay more, have a bigger pack volume, and fit in with the other brain washed folks. Reserves are certified to the same specs regardless of brand

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I loaded my tempo's significantly higher than his 1.15 when I landed mine. We all have to make the decision of what we want on our backs, and I have decided to go with the PD's for the reasons listed above. Have fun, and hopefully you will not have to land under any reserve.

Hey folks,

Thanks for feedback and experience. I appreciate it.

In the reviews for the TEMPO under Dropzone.com/gears I have read that quite a few guys had there TEMPOs turning left and had to keep holding on to the right toggle to fly straight. Have you heard of or experienced this behavior with this canopy. Is it due to line shrinking and aging? Is it likely to happen on a new canopy?

Also when I compute my 1.15 wing loading I take the real surface of the TEMPO 170, which is 178 sft. My weight geared up is 205 lb (without main). TEMPO suggests a max suspended weight of 200 lb. How should I take this data? Very conservative estimate related to fly capability or what?

Thanks again,

RS

I am about to jump with a rig that has a new 170 TEMPO loaded at 1.15.
I am writing to ask you a feedback about how TEMPOs, perform at mine or higher wing loadings.

I have landed my Tempo 120 loaded 1.6 twice.
It's definitly flies different than my mains, but there were no problems with landings. Lift was not great.
But it opens and it saves life. No more or less.

I am going to get something with bigger square and lesser packing volume - Techno 128, or something.

I've got 9 rides on Tempos (all CRW). One was on a 210 @ 1.0 and the remaining 8 were on a 170 loaded @ 1.15. Most were sub-terminal, but one I took down for 8-9 seconds. It's always opened and flew fine without any sort of turn and had plenty of flare at the bottom. I'm on my second packing data card now and will keep it as long as it keeps getting signed off. I've got nothing but good to say about my Tempo.

Bob

Nothing is wrong with Tempos

What about their high incidence of built in turns? I have 4 reserve rides on Tempo's. 2 had built in turns. My GF has 1 reserve ride on a Tempo. Also a built in turn.

We both jump PD reserves now. She's on a PD 113 R, me on a PD 126R.
It's the year of the Pig.

Actually.. not all reserves are built the same. The reason initially for the low cost of the Tempo was the exchange rate with South Africa was great from the American side. You could pick up a PISA canopy new for less then $700 and the Tempo for less then $600 (less then 500 for a bit too) for a long time. The exchange rate went south and the prices started rising.

Tempos were redesigned in 2001 to add more reenforcement to the canopy and that incrreased the pack volume for canopies made after that date.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Also when I compute my 1.15 wing loading I take the real surface of the TEMPO 170, which is 178 sft. My weight geared up is 205 lb (without main). TEMPO suggests a max suspended weight of 200 lb. How should I take this data? Very conservative estimate related to fly capability or what?

Am I the only one alarmed by this? If you end up with a cypres fire, which you indicate you currently have, then you'll be opening an overloaded reserve at terminal. This is beyond logic to me; especially if the reserve is not brand new. 700' is not some place you want to have a blown center cell or a couple broken A lines on your reserve. Not worth saving any amount of money, imo. It seems to me that your current loading is the least of your worries. I know a jumper at my DZ had to sign a separate waiver to overload his reserve, and I twice saw him land his reserve, and they were quite ugly...the reserve had no flaring power being overloaded as it was.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Blowing a centre cell or a couple A lines on your reserve would suck at 7000 feet just as much as 700 feet. Maybe more - you would have more time to think about how much the impact is gonna hurt!

That part doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me is the calculation of wing loading based on this mysterious 8 extra sq. ft. of canopy and subtracting the weight of the main. You can't nickle and dime your way out of overloading a reserve. Either don't do it, or do it and understand the potential consequences.

Canuck

That part doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me is the calculation of wing loading based on this mysterious 8 extra sq. ft. of canopy and subtracting the weight of the main. You can't nickle and dime your way out of overloading a reserve. Either don't do it, or do it and understand the potential consequences.

Of course his hand waviness is an issue, but quite simply he could potentially overload his reserve! I would be more concerned about someone with 100 jumps overloading (as per manufacturer max weight) a reserve at 1.2 than someone with 100 jumps loading their reserve at 1.4. Of course, both are stupid, but one seems to be more prone to killing the jumper, while the other may only break both the jumpers femurs!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

If you take the "real surface" of the PD canopy the same way you'll find that a PD160R is almost as large as that Tempo 170. Manufactors all use different methods to calculate canopy sizes and its rare to find two that do it the same.

Wingloading is canopy size (per manufactor label) divided by max exit weight. Do not subtract X pounds since you have used a canopy since the weight of the canopy is still added into the lift factor needed to fly. And don't subtract the main since it might still be there in the case of a total.

If they say a max suspended weight of 200 and you ignore it then its your own fault if the canopy blows apart. If you are within the weight and speed limits then you have done everything possible to comply with the requirements.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I heard PISA made some revisions in Tempo's design in 2001 which made it more "strong" (but increased the pack volume)...
Do anyone know something more about that? Was "built in turn" only an "old" Tempo's problem or not (or may be opposite this issue of a new desing?)?
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I heard PISA made some revisions in Tempo's design in 2001 which made it more "strong" (but increased the pack volume)...
Do anyone know something more about that? Was "built in turn" only an "old" Tempo's problem or not (or may be opposite this issue of a new desing?)?

From 5 posts above yours.....

"Tempos were redesigned in 2001 to add more reenforcement to the canopy and that incrreased the pack volume for canopies made after that date."

t

I don't think the built in turn was a design issue. Like most things that fly or fall, symetry will result in heading control without input.

When something is designed symetrically, but constructed asymetrically, then a turn will result. I think they were simply poorly built.

I edited my origional post to remove any hostility. I apologise for my pointed reply.

t

A friend of mine had 2 TEMPO reserve rides at Rantoul this year. She jumps a Tempo 120 not even close to the max wing loading and stalled them both injuring herself.

Another friend of mine with over 6,000 jumps stalled another Tempo and broke his ankle.

With this in mind, and all I've heard and seen during the years, I'll stick to PDR's

Oh, BTW... PD is soon to be launching a new line of lightweight reserves that pack very small. This meaning that you can pack a 143' where you used to pack a 106.
Does it get any better?

HISPA #5