Stealth

Safire2 or Sabre2

I am going to buy a new canopy.
I am decide to stop on 119-120 sqft for a while.
Now it is hard for me to make choice between Safire2 and Sabre2 similar sized.
Unfortunately where I live and jump I can't take the demo, so I need additional information about flying characteristic both of these canopys.
Please share your expirience what I should expect from Safire2 and Sabre2 and differences between them.

man you should get a lot of feedback on this one.i just bought a new saber2 135.havent even jumped it yet.i went with the pd because of reputation and advice from advice from people that have lots of jumps on both.i think that they are both pretty comperable.just my.02 blues Layton

sabre 2 most definately. it has excellent flare, openings...even if you sucks butt at packing it'll still open great...it's just the better compared to safire2...not exactly sure but i've heard safire doesn't fly as well when it's not loaded up...again just heard this as a rumor

...not exactly sure but i've heard safire doesn't fly as well when it's not loaded up...again just heard this as a rumor

and I heard a rumour that sabre 2's open hard..oh wait I actualy experienced that...packed it this way and that way...with no success...bang bang bang.....oh well....I'm happy with my safire.

bye the way...not good to spread rumour....:|:|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I have a decent amount of experience with both, and I would definately go with the Safire2. Don't get it confused with the original. The safire 2 has a great range of flight, superior dive characteristics, and much better openings. I put 100 jumps on my 129 loaded at 1.33 and NEVER had a hard opening. To contrast, I've jumped a Sabre2 probably a dozen times, and while none of the openings were what you could call "hard," they were definately swift. Don't get me wrong, the Sabre2 is a good canopy, but I think that the Safire 2 is a better platform.

sabre 2 most definately. it has excellent flare, openings...even if you sucks butt at packing it'll still open great...it's just the better compared to safire2...not exactly sure but i've heard safire doesn't fly as well when it's not loaded up...again just heard this as a rumor

Oh no. Again?
How many times did you jump Safire1/2 and Sabre1/2? Why do you talking about things you never experienced?
I put some jumps on Safires. Now I'm jumping Safire1. It has better flare than Sabre1, opens great, flies really fast and a bit more ground hungry than Sabre1. Can't compare Sabre2 with Safire2, never jumped them, but Safire1 is much better that Sabre1. Why the hell Safire2 will be worse than Sabre2?

wasn't putting a canopy down actualy...just saying what I have encountered the time's I've jumped a sabre 2. take it for what it's worth. Thank you so much for calling me a retard.....that was so kind of you. and I know he is talking about safire 2's....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I think the Sabre2 is an highly versatile canopy. Nice flight characteristics. Excellent landings. I didn't have any hard openings but I did have a few 90's (these may be due to the newness of the canopies I've been jumping). Its only weakness seems to be it's very soft feel in turbulence.

I've put a few dozen jumps back and forth between a Sabre2 and a similar sized Saffire1. Unless there have been some RADICAL improvements with the Saffire2, my ONLY recommendation would be for the Sabre2.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Unless there have been some RADICAL improvements with the Saffire2

There have been. SabreII/SafireII are very similar. My exp having jumped both is that the SabreII openings suck by comparison. Re flare both have nice flare but different - I found the safireII flare had power further into the toggle stroke by comparison to the sabre. In the air they handle very very similarly.

Apparently the sabre is easier to learn to surf but the safire has more top end performance for those who really know how to use the canopies. (that last comment was related to me by more experienced jumpers and as such is not my own experience.

Safire (1 or 2) and Sabre 2 are similar canopies. They are both lightly elliptical and both have recovery arcs that are longer than the sabre 1 or stiletto, but shorter than say a crossfire. If you plan to change to elliptical (Xfire, Katana, Cobalt, etc) sometime soon, just buy one that will sell easiest when you need to. Again, the safire and sabre2 at the same loading will provide similar performance.

mg

Hey Kimblair13,

I'm not a Greenie, but read the rules - no personal attacks in the forums! Retard is not a nice word.

Now as far as what is and what is not a rumor, let me tell you with full authority that a guy at my dropzone broke his femur on a Sabre 2 opening last year! Ouch!

Canuck

Very Bizzare. The canopy was a Sabre 2 210 with probably less than 30 or 40 jumps on it. The jumper is a heavier guy, I'd guess in the 200-210 range without gear. He had done a solo jump and was working on sit-flying, but claims he had returned belly to earth at 5 grand, and pulled stable at 3. The opening was brutal and literally broke his femur. He flew the canopy back to the landing area, and called down for help before he even got to the ground.

My speculation was that he still had some extra airspeed from the sit and possibly pulled while unstable and that his leg strap had slid down his leg, but the jumper claims none of this to be true, and I have no reason to doubt him.

The container is a Sidewinder, properly sized for the canopy. The pc is zero-p, and I believe 28 inches. Others put test jumps on the rig afterwards and found the openings to have a quick snatch, but then a fairly slow snivel and inflation.

Jumper is one tough dude, he was back in the air in just under a year.

Canuck

I've jumped a safire2 129 loaded at 1.7, and a sabre 2 120 loaded about 1.8. It appeared to me that the safire2's only advantages over the sabre2 were a slightly better glide, and lighter front riser pressure. They both swooped pretty well, but it just seemed that the safire2 would run out of lift at a higher speed. I much preferred the sabre2 landings, and it was very responsive to rear riser input. I think it's a phenominal all-around canopy.

Another thing, I had a rigger adjust the brake lines on the safire 2 several times in an attempt to be able to aggressively use the front risers without deflecting the tail with the toggles. I never could achieve a setting that I was happy with. I ended up having to pull the front riser above the dive loop, at the connector link to get good response. If I pulled at the dive loop, and the tail deflected, The Safire 2 would buck during the turn, just like old Sabre 1's will. This was never even remotely an issue with the sabre2.

Hey Steve...
just a question...is a canopy bucking during a front riser dive a result of the type of canopy or the steering lines being too short...or maybe a result of both?

Short brake lines fo sho. Sorry I didn't make it out today. We had full tude at SDO... and some serious wingsuit activity involving 8,000' "cloud canyons". These don't happen very often.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click