mjasantos

Luigi Cani reportedly landed an Icarus VX 39

The discrepancies are based both on laziness and deliberate deception. There is, of course, the true area of a canopy, but that is not what many manufacturers use as their number.

Areas of debate:

1) Top surface span (leading or trailing edge, 6" back from leading edge, or high point of airfoil)
2) Bottom surface chord or chord-line of rib (furthest forward point on rib)

Sometimes designers choose their measuring method based on what they want the canopy to feel like relative to the number. If the goal is to have a high lift capability for a very small square footage, the parachute might be measured in such a manner to make it slightly bigger than the number suggests. The reverse is also true at times.

I have always tried to simply tell the truth about the sizes of my canopies, and let the customer decide what is best for them. If I say it's a 95, it is exactly 95 square feet of fabric.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

What's the point?

What's the point of jumping out of a plane?

What's the point of an Eliptical canopy?

What's the point of a Swoop competition?

Silly question Brian.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

For example, I measured some canopys and the results measured by same process can be seen below:

Cobalt 85 : 81,89 Sq feet, Aspect Ratio 2,72
Jedei 105: 105,5, AR 2,88 (You can confirm if it is correct)
Nitro 88, 89,3 AR 2,45
Ninja 94, 95 AR 2,9
VX 79, 84,8 AR 2,87
Stilleto 170
Heat Wave 170, 162,6 A/R 2,86

Roq

Ok, here's where it gets weird. The measurements that are currently used are actual area in the computer. The inflated area will be significantly smaller, as the span is noticibly compressed due to the non-linear nature of the skins. The chord is not changed all that much. If anything it gets somewhat larger in that parameter. In essence, both the surface area and the aspect ratio are lower in flight than in the computer.

This means that a 105 is more like a 90 in flight, or perhaps even smaller. Cross-braced canopies have less distortion, and so are larger in flight for the same amount of fabric area. This is partly why they are able to support higher wingloadings than traditional bicells. Apples to apples is not all that easy...

As long as the customers base their judgements on performance and not a number, they will end up with the right canopy.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

What are the methods in popular use? I keep hearing about the 'PD method' or 'Icarus method'...

Icarus measures their canopies with the same method that PD does simply for the fact that its probably the best reference for most jumpers.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

What's the point of risking everything for a number?

Hi Brian,

I think that at this level R&D is not 100% responsible... to achieve a WR must be weighting here too... in fact a WR is an achievement never reached by someone before, meaning that limits have been pushed further once again...

But I agree with you: down the road, there is a limit somewhere... but the way things are evolving it's becoming hard and unpredictable to tell where.

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Heh talking about limits.

Limit is always pushed further. so theoreticaly if time is irelevant, there is no limit !!!

What Brian is affraid is that Luigi will try to push the limit to fast and go beyond it [:/]
There only lucky coincidences can save you, if at all...
"George just lucky i guess!"

>Icarus measures their canopies with the same method that PD does . . .

Well, they do now. It almost doesn't matter what method everyone uses as long as everyone sticks to one method. No one wants to go to a 120 because it has exactly 120 square feet of fabric, they want to go to a 120 because it's the next step down from their 135. If the 120 is really a 140, but the manufacturer prefers a different (in his view, perhaps more accurate) system of measurement that gives you 120 square feet - the guy buying the parachute will not be happy.

Well, they do now.

They always did, I believe it was precision that didn't. But I see your point completely.

No they didn't. I had a 129 Omega that was measured Differently. Kate Cooper told me it was equivelent to about a 120 PD. The VX and FX have always been measured the same. All three were manufactured by Precision for Icarus.

No they didn't. I had a 129 Omega that was measured Differently. Kate Cooper told me it was equivelent to about a 120 PD. The VX and FX have always been measured the same. All three were manufactured by Precision for Icarus.

right, the safire's and omega's where measured that way, or differently than pd's system.

later

I don't know how I missed this before, but you should do stand-up. That was some funny, funny shit. Thanks for making my ribs hurt even more with the laughter.

I wondered if anyone read that. Mr. Germain's post and the ensuing responses totally squashed my post. For you jerks that didn't read it. Here it is:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1126414#1126414

You're welcome, jerks! :|
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

"I needed to focus, because this parachute was very small and I was wearing a lead safe. "

Just because we don't comment on it doesn't mean we didn't get funny looks from our officemates when laughing. I also sent the whole spiel to 5 of my teammates.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Secret ninja wingsuit society.... you are bad! Do you think they will let me join now that I have a black wingsuit or will I need an eyepatch as well.

True ninjas don't need their eyes. Get two eye patches. B|
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click