cobaltdan

ONYX pictures

Any news from poeple who flew it?

i have a 95 demo sitting at the dz right now. i only got to put 1 jump on it. so that isn't enough to give a good opinion on it.

but from what i can tell, it doesn't dive as much as a same loaded vx or velo. i know this because my turn was way high ;). but it has really good glide, i made it back from a spot that i never would have on my vx. but the onyx got me back with some altitude to spare.

i will write up a good review after this weekend about what i think of it compared to a vx.

later

Damn, I know it's been mentioned before, but damn those lines look short. Why?

-
Jim

I have no idea, i am NOT and expert of any sort. I can give you some comp. pics though.;) The onyx is a 75 and the cc is an 85. Same pilot under both. The third is my lame ass under a 109 xfire:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I don't understand why you guys call it a "36-cell" canopy.

Sure, it's 9*4 subdivisions. But not each subdivision is a "cell".

The Stiletto has 9*2 subdivisions. But it's not an 18-cell canopy.
The Velocity has 7*5 subdivisions. But it's not a 35-cell canopy.
The VX has 9*5 subdivisions. But it's not a 45-cell canopy.

A cell is a cell if and only if it's separated by load-bearing ribs. The center rib on the Onyx is non-load-bearing. Therefore the Onyx is a 9*3 = 27-cell canopy.

Don't get me wrong. It might still be a great canopy. It might still be a great design. But it is NOT a 36-cell canopy.

the onyx has 9 * 4 = 36
the velocity has 7 * 3 (not 5) = 21
the vx has 9 * 3 (not 5) = 27

reducing the distortion on the top skin is all that matters. reducing bottom skin distortion does nothing significant to improve efficiency and performance.

sincerely,

dan<><>
atair
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

the velocity has 7 * 3 (not 5) = 21

No no!

The velocity has 7 * 5 subdivisions.

See: http://www.square1.com/custcanopy/pdvelocity/pdvelocity.html

Only 3 of those 5 help to reduce the top skin distortion. That's why the Velocity is a 21-cell canopy with 35 subdivisions.

Same thing for the Onyx. Only 3 of the 4 help reduce the top skin distortion. That's why the Onyx is a 27-cell canopy with 36 subdivisions.

dona.

it is 7 * 3 .

what we are discussing is the number of subdivisions on the top skin between lines. the velocity is a tri-cell, it has 3 divisions.

sincerely,

dan<><>
atair
Daniel Preston <><>

I kinda agree here.

A cell is what is between the cord-line groups. So as of today there are 7 and 9 cell canopies on the market. I think this 21 27 36 cell stuff is more a marketing issue than anything else.

You are right, by using this method all 7 cell canopies are 14 and all 9 are 18.

Dan,

Looking at the Onyx pictures it seems that the leading edge is straight exept the last two cells. Is this correct or is it due to the lens distortion? Also the trailing edge seems pretty straight too.

Thanks
Memento Audere Semper

I think this 21 27 36 cell stuff is more a marketing issue than anything else.

Well, yes (1) and no (2).

There is a difference between load-bearing ribs and non-load-bearing ribs.

(1) Yes, the 36-cell thing is purely marketing.
(2) No, the 21/27-cell thing is not purely marketing.

The diagonal ribs (=the crossbraces) are load-bearing ribs on both the Velocity, the VX and the Onyx. They pull on the top skin via the suspension lines. That's why they count as "cells". 21/27-cell canopies really have 21/27 cells. That's not just marketing hype.

On the other hand, the central vertical rib on the Stiletto and the Onyx is not load-bearing. Similarly, the two central vertical ribs on the Velocity and the VX are not load-bearing. Therefore it does not count as a "cell".

yes, by the same account a stilletto should be a 18 cell. but the practice is to only label x-braced canopies in this way.

The practice is, for all canopies, regardless of x-braces, to define the number of cells through the number of load-bearing attachement points on the top skin. As you said yourself, that is what matters most.

More specifically:

#cells = #load-bearing attachements point on top skin - 1

9 for Stiletto. 21 for Velocity. 27 for the Onyx and the VX.

the center ribs on an onyx are loaded. The nose and tape reinforcement are triangulated to a point on the center rib top skin seam. this effectively loads the central rib to just past the b lines.

all top skin seams are loaded in the area where reduction in spanwise distortion translates to the maximum increases aerodynamic efficiency.

just look at the pictures..

9*4=36

sincerely,

daniel
Daniel Preston <><>

Me too, but unless it excels at the golden rule of engineering: better, faster, cheaper - pick 2, making it significantly better than anything else out there I don't really care. They can call it a 48 line canopy, doesn't mean I'm going to shell out any money.

I see most of the people here that are complaining about how many cells there are don't jump cross braced. The onyx is an awesome canopy. I think Atair has a very, very good product here. Before ya go bashing them just try it. It's as easy as that! Then if ya still think it flys like a 9 cell you have something to back it up with, if not... zip it.. lol.

John

:S
SHIT.....
if the company didnt SUCK so bad i might think about buying another Atair Product.....
If anyone likes the idea of having "Reasonable" customer service and repair (Line set's) the PLEASE avoid atair.....
It has been a headache for me.
The worst part about this is that i LOVE flying my cobalt....[:/]
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE