mischo

VX 109

Howdy,
I am looking to buy a 109 and I am wondering how big they pack up what containers have you squeezed one into and thats about it, I have a OJ with a 143 in it and I think thats going to be tight.

my buddy has a 109 vx, and he ordered his rig for a 150 heatwave (that's actuall what he had before the vx). and it goes in there great.

later

According to Paragear's canopy comparison chart, the VX109 is 294 cu in. vol. I find this somewhat hard to believe since they say the FX109 is 349 cu in. I think they made a typo. However the 349 cu in is comparable to a Velocity 96 at 340 cu in. That will easily go into an OJ. Even a Velocity 103 with a vol of 370 cu in. will easily go into the OJ.

I'd call the factory.

D

I had a VX 114 in a Mirage M1. I also had a 136 Samurai in that container. Your 109 should fit in any container that will fit a 135sqft 9 cell zp. It will be tough to pack at first though, all that fabric makes it very slippery.
Good luck.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Howdy,
I am looking to buy a 109 and I am wondering how big they pack up what containers have you squeezed one into and thats about it, I have a OJ with a 143 in it and I think thats going to be tight.
Mish

they pack 25% bigger than a conventional zero-p nice cell (due to all the cross-bracing). If you do the math that that comes out to just over 136. I don't remember what an OJ will hold because its been a while since I was looking in that range. But I am guessing it will fit fine. In anycase, you can go to the Sunpath website and it will all be spelled out quite clearly.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I have a VX 109 that I am puting in an Eclipse container made for a 135 main. It is a very tight fit, I have pycho pack it and roll it very tight in order to fit it in the container and look good. I have seen it packed up looser and it fits but the container then looks pregnant. Believe what you hear they are at least 25% bigger.
Kirk

I have my Velocity 103 in a TJN.

I wanted to point out while the 21 cell canopies pack up much bigger that their non crossbraced counterparts, the 2 27 cells on the market pak up considerably bigger than a same sized 21 cell.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Here you go...

Canopy Size Pk Vol MSW Weight

EXTreme-VX 69 221 166 3
EXTreme-VX 74 237 178 3
EXTreme-VX 79 253 190 4
EXTreme-VX 84 269 202 4
EXTreme-VX 89 285 214 4
EXTreme-VX 94 301 226 4
EXTreme-VX 99 317 238 4
EXTreme-VX 104 333 250 5
EXTreme-VX 109 349 262 5
EXTreme-VX 114 365 274 5
EXTreme-VX 119 381 286 5

Pack volume in sq ft

http://aerostore.com/canopies2/icarus/charts/extemevx.html

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Just to point it out, the pack volumes and capacities listed by manufacturers for canopies and containers are next to usless.

Pack volumes are not measured in a cosistant fasion from one manufacturer to the next so comparasion is out, and when it comes to containers some manufacturers err heavily on the side of "soft".

The only measurements I've seen done that I'd trust were the studies done by Sandi Ried in the 90's...
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I can't comment on the VX109 since I never owned one but I can tell you about my Javelin exeriences:

A Stiletto 135 will fit easily into an OJ with a 143r reserve. If a VX109 is anything like the ST135, I would say you'll have an optimum fit.

A Velocity 120 seems to pack bigger than the ST135 and was a bit tighter in the OJ.

I now have a VE111 in an NJK (that's 2 sizes down from the OJ) and it fits but it's a bit tight (reserve is 113r).

Also, take the manufacturers' canopy size recommendations with a pinch of salt. In my experience, you can always put a smaller container than they suggest (provided you are a good packer). I suppose they are just cautious because they don't want to sell a container to some dude who just wants the smallest rig he can get and then he can't squeeze his rig into it. Who wants an unhappy customer?

my buddy has a 109 vx, and he ordered his rig for a 150 heatwave (that's actuall what he had before the vx).

Bit off topic, but did your buddy really downsize from a Heatwave '150 to a VX 109? (or maybe he used another rig in between or something). Just seems a bit drastic to me, if so how did it work out for him?

Will

Bit off topic, but did your buddy really downsize from a Heatwave '150 to a VX 109? (or maybe he used another rig in between or something). Just seems a bit drastic to me, if so how did it work out for him?

haha, yea he did. i mean, there is no in between canopy for jess, i mean, he's almost 2.0 under the heatwave. and jess is a damn good canopy pilot. he was fine under the 109 first jump.

later

haha, yea he did. i mean, there is no in between canopy for jess, i mean, he's almost 2.0 under the heatwave. and jess is a damn good canopy pilot. he was fine under the 109 first jump.

So that would put him at almost 2.7 under the vx? Pretty sporty B|

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

So that would put him at almost 2.7 under the vx? Pretty sporty

yea, 2.7 or 2.8. jess is a crazy mother fucker. and it's kinda crazy, he still gets decent distance on it. but it doesn't stop for shit. they didn't want to build him a bigger one when he bought it, it was when everyone was loading them at like 2.4 or 2.5. so when jess asked for like a 125, they said they wouldn't garunetee it if they built one that big. and they were sure he wouldn't like it, we never did tell him that he was almost 300 pounds out the door :P:D.

and to make it worse, he bought a 99 after that, but he did send it back for an another 109, it opened bad.

later

Canopy Size Pk Vol MSW Weight

EXTreme-VX 69 221 166 3
EXTreme-VX 74 237 178 3
EXTreme-VX 79 253 190 4
EXTreme-VX 84 269 202 4
EXTreme-VX 89 285 214 4
EXTreme-VX 94 301 226 4
EXTreme-VX 99 317 238 4
EXTreme-VX 104 333 250 5
EXTreme-VX 109 349 262 5
EXTreme-VX 114 365 274 5
EXTreme-VX 119 381 286 5

Pack volume in sq ft

(cough,... bullshit....Cough)

I challenge anyone to show me one of these canopies that will measure to those given pack volumes.

Chris

Don't be getting any ideas Will........

;)

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

(cough,... bullshit....Cough)

I challenge anyone to show me one of these canopies that will measure to those given pack volumes.

Does it have to be able to fly afterwards? Give me some scissors and I'll take you up on it.

I have a 78 27 cell Xaos and there's NO way, it's even close to the pack volumes stated above.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto