mischo

Slider secrets

I have been stowing my slider under my chin for a while now because I dont like the way it feels while looking around behind my head. (it feels like it is riding up without constant pressure) My question is how do y'all lock the slider in place behind the head? Now that I expand my chest strap, the thing about chokes me out. I tried to keep it behind my head with the chest strap all the way out but it still rides up without the before mentioned pressure. I have heard that Brian Germain has a cool locking system on the back of the rear risers. If it is not copywritten I would love some input so I could make that mod as well.
Thank you
Mish

Here's what fixed my slider from doing that.

After I collapse it, I roll the crap out of it. It doesn't catch as much air (which was making it ride back up my risers before), so it stays put and I don't have to keep any pressure on it.

That might work for you too, keeping yourself from having to get any mods done to your gear. B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A rigger should be able to help you install a slider keeper on your rig. The one I use is stitched to the yokes of my rigs. It's a 4" piece of 2" wide Pile Velcro, and a 4" piece of 1" Hook Velcro. Sew each peice on to a 10" piece of type 3 tape one on either end and then attach the 2" wide end to the rig. Works great.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Brian has been installing what he calls, "Slocks" (Slider Locks). They're very simple little reinforced do-dads made of Dacron line pulled through itself and then bartacked (to stiffen), then bartacked on the inside of the front risers, just above the attachment points. As for the measurements and specifics, feel free to call us at Big Air: 813.788.4444.

I've been using them for quite a while now and they work perfectly. After opening, I cinch up the slider, pull it down past the toggles and such, and the rear slider grommets are held in place below the front grommets, which are pulled and locked below the stiffened Dacron thingy. So simple and much easier than the loop things on the rigs, methinks.

Velcro loop thingies on the neck of your suit are a bad idea, in case of a cut away. Besides, it's really annoying when people pull and stick the Velcro in the plane on the way to altitude. :P

Hope that was helpful.

Andy
www.bigairsportz.com

"I drank what?" --Sophocles

Here's what fixed my slider from doing that.

After I collapse it, I roll the crap out of it. It doesn't catch as much air (which was making it ride back up my risers before), so it stays put and I don't have to keep any pressure on it.

That might work for you too, keeping yourself from having to get any mods done to your gear. B|

This is exactly what I do also, another thing that helps is loosening your chest strap all( not undoing it) the way. Look at pictures of luigi doing this in this months parachutist. There is no place for the slider to go but stay down. Your chest strap may not be this long but every little bit helps.

Andy, that sounds similar to a design posted somewhere on here recently. I think they used type4 sewn on the front risers instead of bartacked dacron.

I've been planning on putting a slider keeper mod on my risers. Generally, spreading the chest strap and pulling the slider all the way down has been working...

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Velcro loop thingies on the neck of your suit are a bad idea, in case of a cut away. Besides, it's really annoying when people pull and stick the Velcro in the plane on the way to altitude.

Actually, the safety aspect of velcro slider stows is a complete urban legend. In 22 years of skydiving I had never, ever heard of a "snag" incident, but that was not good enough for some people. Our Gear and Rigging Moderator, Derek (Hooknswoop) is the complete techie rigger. He did a full series of tests on his tertiary rig and posted the results for all to see. Answer? There was no perceptible delay whatsoever during any number of actual cutaways with various types of slider stows tested.

As to the annoying sound of me playing with the proper pre-jump mating of my velcro: "sorry". :ph34r:

Chuck Blue
D-12501

Andy,

How far down on the front riser are the "Slocks" located. Are they positioned along the riser or across the riser? What is the estimated diameter of the "slock" More info going to be put on the web page??

Also what is the status of the 1"teen" concept for the Sensei to keep us jumpers that are over 200lbs w/o gear at about a 2.0 load on the new canopy? Just curious!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Hey Ken, yep... Brian tried the webbing thing, too. It worked pretty well, but the dacron seems a bit sturdier ("lockier" :P). 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. :)
Keeping the slider locking mechanism contained on the main canopy "system" (IMHO) is overall a cleaner idea.

Very much IMHHHO.

Hey, Scott... Give Brian a shout about the details on the "Slocks." He's been fielding the calls about them. We're actually installing them on risers for people for around $10 (plus appropriate shipping if you send the risers to us). We ship them right back. It's a very "outpatient" type of surgery. :P

As for the "1-teen" Sensei... Call Brian. 813.788.4444 We haven't really talked about it recently, but then, I've been buried in web site stuff and desktop publishing.

Andy
www.bigairsportz.com

I've got a small length of webbing wrapped around and stiched to each front riser just above the attachment point. Collapse the slider and pull it down over these little 'blocks' and it will stay put. The webbing is an inch wide and doesn't have to be all that thick.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Velcro loop thingies on the neck of your suit are a bad idea, in case of a cut away. Besides, it's really annoying when people pull and stick the Velcro in the plane on the way to altitude.

Actually, the safety aspect of velcro slider stows is a complete urban legend. In 22 years of skydiving I had never, ever heard of a "snag" incident,

I can't provide solid evidence of such an incident, but somebody, somewhere has gotten spooked by "velcro loop thingies". A few years back a European fellow visited my DZ. He was quite surprised to see a jumper with one of the velcro slider holders, because they were banned in his country. Can't recall where he was from. Some place like Germany, Netherlands, ????

So I bet there has been a fatality that at least looked like it was influenced by a velcro slider holder; otherwise the national skydiving organization would not have (over)reacted in that way.

Peter Chapman

I HAVE heard about an incident (I believe it was reported in Skydiving or Parachutist). Guy cutaway and towed his main by the slider for a few hundred feet.

Probably a one in a thousand thing, depending on newness of velcro and style of use, but still.....

just use the front riser mods detailed above... works just fine and is quicker anyway...

"Velcro Loop Thingies" n, pl. 1 The loop, closed with Velcro, attached to the collar of a skydiver's jumpsuit, intended to secure the slider after opening. 2 The small individual loops of fabric on the softer piece of a Velcro fastener.

:P

the most I've seen is velcro...
Babylon guys use an elastic band with a kind of ball, attached to the rig, they pass the ball over the slider and into the elastic
you can maybe try to catch the rings (grommets ?? ) between the risers, sometimes it does the work correctly
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

If one were to attach the velcro to the jumpsuit so that the hook and loop are facing each other, the release force would be fairly low. Velcro relies on shear friction to work properly, but if you use the way it is not intended it would make for a weak hold, but an easy release. Would the loop contact with the slider damage it in any way?
...FUN FOR ALL!