freeflyz

High Performace Canopies LOW JUMP NUMBERS!!!!!

"and now your jumping a canopy that requires a least 1000 elliptical jumps????"

Where do you come up with this?
I do find this thread humorous as I went through all this crap already.
Off to the WFFC!
Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

No, I don't include my round days of 25 years ago.
And Precision recommends 500 jumps for a XAOS, which I don't hook. I'm a newbie to HP swoops and proceed with caution. Old bones heal slow.., (grin)
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

yep ...I agree..it is scary.

In the last two weeks Ive heard of 2 dudes killing themselves due to landing injuries...they were both low timers...what they were jumping is unimportant other than it was not what i would personnaly consider the correct size of chute.

dont understsnd the rush to get on the small stuff...bigstuff is more forgiving...small stuff isnt...and until you have the expierence dudes are gonna keep on getting killed

maybe its time for the canopy police...?

there needs to be a system to hold these individuals accountable to whom they sell these canopys to. ideas anyone?

It's a great idea, but I don't think more regulation is always the best answer. Is there a law on to whom you are allowed to sell a Porsche Boxster or a lesser priced muscle car? We live in such a litigious society, that when someone gets hurt, we immediately look around for who else is to blame. People really need to take responsibility for themselves. Sometimes it appears we are afraid to say, “If you do stupid things, you might get hurt.” Life is not a Montessori school, unfortunately.

I agree with the thought that numbers of jumps probably isn’t the best “measure of effectiveness” of a jumper, but what else do we have? It is objective and relatively easy to verify. If nothing else, it tells the number of times you have seen the ground rushing up towards you. And apparently you have dealt with that well enough to still be alive and standing there. I feel it is a better measure for type of canopy you are jumping than ability to perform during the freefall portion. By that I mean, 500 jumps means 500 landings, but it says nothing about your freeflying or RW skills.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

By that I mean, 500 jumps means 500
landings,

Dunno what Quade thinks, but as one who took up skydiving long after becoming a pilot (power and glider), I had made over a thousand landings before I made my first jump. On the whole, the visual picture, the concept of a pattern, judging flare altitude, continuing to fly all the way until safely on the ground, etc., are very similar whether you're flying a Cessna, a Schweitzer sailplane, or a Stiletto. I found landings under canopy to be straightforward from jump 1 and bought a Stiletto after 38 jumps.

Dunno what Quade thinks, but as one who took up skydiving long after becoming a pilot (power and glider), I had made over a thousand landings before I made my first jump.

Me too.

I think that airplane pilots have a huge advantage in their overall experience and knowledge of aerodynamics compared to the average first jump student.

That said, there are significant differences in just the muscle memory of how the controls work.

I don't know if John has ever switched over to flying right seat in a Cessna, but the first few times people do it, they have a tendancy to be a little rough on their landings just because they're holding the throttle and yoke in different hands.

So, yes, in general I agree with John, but um, I don't think I would have purchased a Stiletto after 38 jumps!

Then again, I have a totally different concept of what the landing phase of a canopy flight should be about than a lot of skydivers I've met.

As impressive as the accomplishments of the super swoopers are -- that's just not for me. The portion of the skydive where you come in contact with the ground is the one in which you are most likely to die. Therefore, I attempt to come in contact with the ground as slowly and as softly as reasonably possible. I do that on a Spectre 190 loaded at about 1.2:1. Very predictable, very boring, just the way I like it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is there a law on to whom you are allowed to sell a Porsche Boxster or a lesser priced muscle car?***

there's really not a regulation on who, and who can't. but it is sort of self regulated by the price of the newer sport vehicles, and insurance that covers them because they are "performance cars" i can asuure you, after having owned many of these types of cars, a "youngster" cannot afford neither the car, or the insurance. for instance, the insurance on my 2001 C-5 Chevrolet Corvette is $100.00 per month, one because it's all fiberglass, the other because it's a "high performance" vehichle, and i'm 43 with a great driving record. so yeah, it's regulated...so to speak.

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I'm a pilot, getting my ticket in '76. I have hang gliding experience and ultralite experience. I really believe these disiplines have given me an edge in canopy control, as it appears to be your experience also.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

There is a slight price break on getting a smaller canopy so pricing might actually be working against safety here. Also with the large hit you take on getting new gear I've seen a few poeple get smaller canopies then they should have just to "save money". They saved 75 on the canopy then another 500+ in their mind by not having to buy a canopy, jump it 100 times then sell it and get the smaller one when they could start at that level. To many times this ends up being more expensive because of hospital bills.

>a "youngster" cannot afford neither the car, or the insurance.... for instance, the insurance on my 2001 C-5 Chevrolet Corvette is $100.00 per month,

LOL.... The insurance on my '97 Probe is $150 a month so don't think that cost holds people back.

Also skydiving is a yuppie sport so many people that jump have plenty of money to spend on both canopies and cars.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Also skydiving is a yuppie sport so many people that jump have plenty of money to spend on both canopies and cars.

"yuppie sport?" that's new. i wish i had a dime for every student i've seen either complete training, only to not have the money to buy their own gear, and not be able to jump rental gear either. or i've observed on many occasions prospective sky divers (most of them still in the teens) not even complete their training programs because of the $$$. as far as a smaller main costing less $$$ i'd really be interested in what brand of main you speak of, size from my research really doesn't make that big of a difference, unless your buying x-braced performance, new, that is. if this is a "yuppie" sport, there's a lot of broke "yuppies" out there. i wish it were different. and if the insurance on your 97 Ford Probe is $150.00 a month, your driving record must be poor.
--Richard--

Being a pilot should help me with my canopy landing skills. In other words knowing what makes a wing fly, and keeping a clear mind on short final. But based on my six solo landings to date, I still have lots more to learn before I can say I'm proficient at landing a canopy and I have no desire to enrole myself in the swoopers fast track program. [unsure]
But keeping with the topic of this thread. I am thinking of using a wing load of something around 1:1.04 for my first canopy (which I won't be using for several more months from now) while I couldn't believe one of my fellow student peers (much younger than myself) is taking about a 1:1.3 wing load for his first. That's just plain suicide if you ask me. B| I mentioned this to my AFF instructor (that someone should talk to him) and the instructor just said "you can talk to them all you want, but some of them just won't listen".

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

. . . and the instructor just said "you can talk to them all you want, but some of them just won't listen".

Reminds me of a story.

I went to the Grand Canyon and decided to take the mule ride down to the bottom. I met up with the trail boss and he said there was absolutely nothing to worry about because he had the smartest mules on the planet and as a matter of fact, he had taught the one that I was going to ride. I had the most obedient of all of them and he would follow every nuaince of any direction I would give.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yep," he said and with that he took out a 2 by 4 and whacked the mule upside the head as hard as he could. "First though, you do have to get his attention."

Maybe you should talk with the guy, but first show him some photos of skydivers laid up in the hospital.

(Subtle, I know.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>if this is a "yuppie" sport, there's a lot of broke "yuppies" out there.

No its just a lot of people have a large disposible income that they are sinking into jumping. If they took the money and put it into a house or car payment then they would be having the typical yuppie things (import car, etc). Look at the shear number of people cranking out 200 or more jumps a year. At 18 a jump thats $3600 of disposible income, then these same people complain how they are too broke to pay bills or they have to cut their jumping down... At a few DZ's I've been to there have been Vettes, BMW, Porsche, Volvos, you name it parked in the lots, thats the yuppie element. This is an expensive sport and if you want to play, you better pay. Plenty of people pay to jump by taking out a second job or packing or what ever, but there are a lot of people that pay cash for 100 jumps at a time and think its nothing. No one is forcing you to jump, its all by choice.

>as far as a smaller main costing less $$$ i'd really be interested in what brand of main you speak of
Saber2 list prices 97 foot: $1,785.00, 260: $2,033.00. Thats almost 250 dollars difference Lightings: 126 foot: 1,537.00 253: 1,931.00. Thats just about $400 there.

>your driving record must be poor
2 speeding tickets over 6 years. Its more my age then anything else...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I find it kind of funny myself...and yes I know it is Ironic richard;) that people are comparing high performance canopies to cars. granted there are many more people out there driving and yes there are more accidents in vehicles, but the real point of all of this would be to regulate skydivers, not drivers... Sure I am guilty of downsizing faster than what would be considered the norm, but I do think that some kind of regulationg would help.. perhaps a set of licences detailing work piloting canopies would be a solution. after so many jumps ...you feel you should downsize then you go do a couple hop and pops with a certified canopy pilot instructor and they issue you clearance for your next canopy.. of course this would all cost too much money and in turn raise member dues, cost canopy manufacturures who enforce the licenses money, cost jumpers more to get licensed, and would not keep personal sales of canopies regulated, but hey, I guess we are in a hypothetical situation. :S
yoshi

Knowledge and safety go hand in hand. Learn by doing.

I am often astonished by the tales of UK and Canadian DZ's that chastize skydivers for making high performance landings. If a pilot is discouraged from exploring the entire performance range of his canopy how safe a pilot can he really be?

Connecting jump numbers to wing loading would be in-effective. Skydivers who die under good canopies forgot (or ignored) a rule taught in every first jump course: Do not initiate turns which the canopy can not recover from close to the ground.

Creating tens or hundreds of new BSR's doesn't mitigate the fact that each skydiver/ canopy pilot is responsible for their own actions. No one makes you jump. No one makes you initiate high performance landings. No amount of rules will save someone from making one poor decision.

That's my opinion.

;);)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

what there are a lot of is, unmarried people with jobs (many of them with degrees). those people do have lots of disposable income compared to someone who is of college age. (please note the unmarried part of this..it is an epidemic in skydiving...;))

there are also quite a few DZ bums/staff that live at the DZ for low rent, bust their ass, have no medical insurance, and spend every cent on skydiving... they are not yuppies and they make a lot of jumps.

I guess it depends on what is your priority.

what I don't understand is all the 'college age' kids that can afford it. they have yuppie parents...I could never have afforded to jump in college, plus I was working on the weekends.

maybe I fit the yuppie image (not the attitude, I am politically radical) because I am an engineer. but I know a lot of people in construction that make more money than me and jump...
but thats my opinion.
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Why do people buy hp canopies if there never going to be used in a high perfomance landing!It's like buying a f-16 a never using the afterbuner!!!!

Because an F16 flies pretty damn well even without the afterburner.

I know dozens of people who fly high-performance canopies because they like the way they fly and they like the way the land. None of these people, not a single one, does 'high-performance' landings. None of these people, not a single one, would trade their Stilletto/Crossfire/Vengeance and even an FX for anything of lesser performance.

You don't need to hook to fly a high performance canopy and flying a high performance canopy doesn't mean you have to hook.

Get it?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I've to dz's where there have been Vettes, BMW, Porsche, Volvos, you name it parked in the lots, thats the yuppie element.

well, i guess i've finally been "labled" or is that "stereotyped?" ah, well..........
--Richard--

Well, since every canopy is different then yes, I can tell the difference between landing my Safire 189 and landing other canopies, elliptical or not.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that there's more to flying an elliptical or high-performance canopy than just hooking it in?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

but the real point of all of this would be to regulate skydivers, not drivers... Sure I am guilty of downsizing faster than what would be considered the norm, but I do think that some kind of regulationg would help.. perhaps a set of licences detailing work piloting canopies would be a solution. after so many jumps ...you feel you should downsize then you go do a couple hop and pops with a certified canopy pilot instructor and they issue you clearance for your next canopy.. of course this would all cost too much money and in turn raise member dues, cost canopy manufacturures who enforce the licenses money, cost jumpers more to get licensed, and would not keep personal sales of canopies regulated

Kevin:

good idea. in my post, i was soliciting ideas, this is what we need. but then, i got to thinking (quick, run!) more often than not, currently our new sky divers are trained under smaller canopys to begin with, not the old square 288's of the past. but, then again, we haven't been doing a good job at regulating ourselves either, the statistics sustain that. so just what is the real answer here? i believe that if each, and everyone of us bear just one thing in mind the statistics will make an immediate reflection and that is to maintain a constant vigil on safety, self awareness, and remember, this sport is VERY DANGEROUS and can/will kill and/or maim each, and every jump. "It's All About Living"
--Richard--

OK. I drive a BMW M3, but I think anyone that knows me at all knows I'm about as anti-yuppie as they come.

So why the BMW?

No I didn't buy it for snob appeal (and BMWs are passe now anyway). Take one out on a nice long curvy road sometime and you'll see why I favor them. :P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

OK. I drive a BMW M3.So why the BMW?

i dub you "Yuppie Sky Diver # 0002" with me being # 0001. so just change your moniker, and post your handguns at the door...thank you! B| and BMW's aren't passe either, there KEWEL! B|
--Richard--